Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #46
Forum Member

I have never had an out-of-the-house theft. I realize that some of my luck is just statistical. OTOH, as a long ago Boy Scout (and sailor) "Be Prepared" are two of the best words, best advice, one can carry through life. Here's Tom Lehr singing about it, ca. 1960. Funniest guy ever, a math professor in real life.

Seriously, every time I've every been tempted to leave gear, not just cameras, in the car, I ask myself am I prepared to suffer both the financial loss and the annoyance of replacing. My answer is always, "No." Especially since most cars can be locked with a click of a remote. And, if I'm not within ten feet, sight unencumbered, and no one nearby, I always remove my keys.

If you can avoid it, don't flash your gear. Put it in a case or backpack, at least people won't know what you are carrying or if its high value or junk. Put your "Look at me, I am a real photographer because I have expensive pro equipment and you can be jealous," ego aside.

Be aware of your surroundings. Always. Pretend you are a soldier, a detective, or a long ago primitive man (or woman!).

Project confidence and strength. Granted, it's easier for me as a large man than many others, but many victims literally ask for it by their posture and demeanor.

Are you aware of PacSafe products? Pacsafe Anti-Theft Travel Bags and Travel Accessories | Pacsafe Many dozens of products based on their stainless steel (hard to cut than ordinary steel) mesh and locking abilities. I have used their largest Exomesh product a number of times when I've traveled on a bus or when in Mexico. Big enough to encompass a huge piece of luggage. Lock it to the steel frame of your bed or similar target when you leave the room. You can lock it with a TSA keyed lock and put it on an airplane. Keeps the luggage handler riff raff out.

I also travel with a large can of strong pepper spray and a big knife in my driver's side door pocket and take them with me into Mexico. I'm not afraid of owning a gun, but I know what the statistics are, to say nothing about traveling with one, especially internationally.

But the bottom line remains, "Be Prepared!"

01-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #47
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a native Texan....we don't worry much about being robbed......:we mostly worry about blowing our own foot off!

Perfectly legal!

Regards!
01-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #48
Unregistered User

Risking ones life over gear sounds stupid to me. If someone pulls a gun on me I do what they ask unless they tell me to squeal like a pig. In that case I will hit them with my 150-450-lens.
01-11-2016, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I would use it for self defense against humans if I have to...

More worried about cougars/bears than bunnies... a knife isn't much against them but it's better than nothing.
Protip for personal safety in bear/cougar country - always hike with a friend you know you can outrun.

This is applicable to photographers worried about thieves, even better if your slow friend has large white expensive looking lenses.

01-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
always hike with a friend you know you can outrun.
ACtually you stand a better chance if you stay still and not move when you meet a bear.
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
This is applicable to photographers worried about thieves, even better if your slow friend has large white expensive looking lenses.
Yep that's right.
01-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #51
Forum Member

I bring shortened Kali sticks (about 16") with me in a backpack whenever I travel. Part of my training has to do with knife fighting. I wouldn't recommend a knife unless you've absolutely been trained how to use it in the course of a fight.

Last edited by dShelly; 01-11-2016 at 09:28 AM.
01-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #52
Pentaxian

The guy who lived in my house before (Paul) me was a bad ass with big guns, practically nobody comes up this hill. I leave valuable equipment in un-locked sheds for up to 2 weeks at a time, nothing has ever been touched.

The kids who used to inadvertently wanter onto the property from time to time, he'd go knock on their mother's front door and give her the what for. Tess has continued the tradition of confronting the little buggers, and giving them the what for, real loud. Then she phones Paul, and has him make sure the parents get an earful as well.

SO, in a word, no.

01-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
ACtually you stand a better chance if you stay still and not move when you meet a bear..
It really depends. Bear encounters are not simple enough to pare down to one tactic for all circumstances, but sacrificing your friend while you make a strategic withdrawal is a great standby for many situations*. For extra protection, be sure to hide some beef jerky in the bottom of your friend's pack.

*source- "Art of War," by Sun Tzu, it's in there somewhere. I also remember a bit on the posthumous awarding of honours to your friend for their brave sacrifice, to boost the morale of your remaining friends.

---------- Post added 01-11-16 at 11:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
Be aware of your surroundings. Always. Pretend you are a soldier, a detective, or a long ago primitive man (or woman!).

Project confidence and strength. Granted, it's easier for me as a large man than many others, but many victims literally ask for it by their posture and demeanor.

Some good advice. I don't think of myself as a badass or anything, but similar to my 'keep a slow friend nearby' tactic, I've always tried to carry myself so I don't look like prey compared to most of the population (<-only this one is a serious tactic).

I do try to think like a thief. At Camera Club meetings, I'm always amazed at all the photographers who come and leave their stuff in their cars, especially camera bags and tripods in the back seat. If I wanted to break into a few vehicles looking for expensive things, outside a camera club meeting would be a good place to start.

Last edited by BrianR; 01-11-2016 at 09:41 AM.
01-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #54
Pentaxian

The only tactic I know that works on a predatory bear, is get a big stick or something else to hit him with, and keep trying to get away, whack him in the nose every time he gets close. If you can't find anything, people have beat them off with their fists. A well placed whack on the nose will disable him for a few minutes, use that to get as far as possible away from him, but, be ready for him if he keeps coming. If he's looking to kill you, that's your best hope. If he's not, all kinds of other strategies will work, like standing still, or backing up slowly or whatever.

You always have to determine exactly what situation you're in.

If he/she comes closer than 10 feet, you have to be ready to scrap it out. Beyond that range, odds are, he/she is just posturing. Closer than that he's already decided the risk of you injuring him/her is worth it.
01-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #55
Veteran Member

@normhead
Bear spray?
01-11-2016, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry bear spray when I'm backpacking but I usually don't for day trips.
There are usually a few man-bear conflicts around here each year, mostly involving food.
We have mountain lions too but they mostly keep to themselves and there's lots of small game to keep them satisfied.
01-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
@normhead
Bear spray?
Tess sprayed herself by accident once. It wasn't pretty.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I carry bear spray when I'm backpacking but I usually don't for day trips.
There are usually a few man-bear conflicts around here each year, mostly involving food.
We have mountain lions too but they mostly keep to themselves and there's lots of small game to keep them satisfied.
The Canadian Parks service radio collars mountain lions, grizzlies and wolves and monitored their activities close to hiking trails. Their comment was, (to paraphrase) it's remarkable how many times hikers are within 100 feet of a large predator, and don't even know they are there. We used to think proximity to those animals was rare. We've discovered that it's quite common. Most of the time, they have no interest in us.
01-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Ouch!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tess sprayed herself by accident once. It wasn't pretty.
01-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This David Bowie answer to a Proust questionnaire seems like it belongs in this thread somewhere:

Q: What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? A: Living in fear.

...and I agree!
01-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote
Shooting someone with a gun can cause all kinds of liability problems not to mention if you actually kill the individual. Pepper spray usually is used in close situations. Bear spray is much better since the range is substantially longer. Cabela's or Bass ProShop will have the bear spray. In any event, it is best to give up the equipment and file a claim with your insurance agent. If you are not a professional photographer, then your homeowners insurance policy will suffice. Read the small print, you will be subject to a deductible. Also there may be a limit as to the amount of coverage for your photography equipment. As an option get a Personal Lines floater for all of your equipment. If you are a commercial photographer, then your agent can get you a Commercial Lines floater.

Jay
Liability in self defense situations is going to vary by state and the situation. In many states, people nor the families of those committing felonies can sue for liability reasons.
Closed Thread