Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #106

Ice skates are sharp too. Guess they are now illegal except on NHL players feet.

01-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #107

Jason Lanier talks about this in his switch from Nikon to Sony mirrorless in the first few mins of this video. Basically he liked that the Sony doesn't scream "pro camera" like a DSLR does.

01-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #108
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote

So as in so many countries only the bad guys have can defend themselves because their the only one with weapons- why, because they don't give a s..t about the law- and the law abiding become their soft targets.
And as a LEO when you call me I can't get their in time to help, all I can do is take your statement assuming your still alive to talk. I realize only the trained should have a CCW but you ought to be able to carry something less lethal for personal defense.
certainly not the case in the UK. Someone robs me in the street and they are looking at a max of 3 months gaol. Rob me with with a gun in their possession and fire it and they are looking at life. Our criminals are virtually unknown to carry guns.
01-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Jason Lanier talks about this in his switch from Nikon to Sony mirrorless in the first few mins of this video. Basically he liked that the Sony doesn't scream "pro camera" like a DSLR does.
Maybe he should get a Pentax then...

01-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #110

01-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #111

So you-all living outside of the US don't have druggies breaking into houses, cars, etc., to steal whatever to pawn to support their habit??
01-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #112
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
So you-all living outside of the US don't have druggies breaking into houses, cars, etc., to steal whatever to pawn to support their habit??
We do - but they are not armed on any way. On the very rare occasions they are it makes the national news.

01-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
My God I'm glad I live in the Great Northwest! My Long guns & short barreled stuff stay locked up except when I'm hunting or target shooting. I only have to worry about large critters and with that in mind I do a lot of Quadding so I have air horns (Bear Horns) that I blast every once in a while in the deep woods to let them know I'm coming. A can of Wasp Spray (Jet spray type) hatchet, knife & Small rocket fire crackers. Never had to use anything except the Air Horns so far in 70 years of bush crawling.
Now ,we do have the thieving kind of critters. Our kind generally use cover of darkness and run like hell when the lights come on.
I had experience with said Thieves 2 years ago. I was moving my gear to the summer residence and left it all overnight in my Truck. All was stolen ( My flagship was a K200D kit lens WR battery grips 600 mm sigma mirror lens & other lessor Cameras & glass accumulatd over the 20th century).
Upon investigating Insurance claim I found that my Home Owners not my Auto had replacement value for all of it less $500.00 deduct. See my Signature for Up-To-Date gear list. $9200.00 value. Again if the dirty Thief would contact me I would like to Thankyou and take you to Dinner (anything off the Kiddies menu) and then afterwards maybe we could go target shooting.
The moral of these ramblings is leave your gats holstered and chase down your Insurance agent for a better outcome.
Yes we get robbed by whoever.
01-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So as in so many countries only the bad guys have can defend themselves because their the only one with weapons- why, because they don't give a s..t about the law- and the law abiding become their soft targets.
And as a LEO when you call me I can't get their in time to help, all I can do is take your statement assuming your still alive to talk. I realize only the trained should have a CCW but you ought to be able to carry something less lethal for personal defense.
Yep.

The time taken for a cop to arrive at the scene could be a lot longer than you'd expect in the USA. When I worked on the railway, I've had to hold trains for quite a while to await police attendance - and the police station was across the parking lot from the station.

I spent two days driving to the capital city in an adjacent state (about 1400km) and didn't see a cop car (nor any cop for that matter) on the whole trip.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2016 at 10:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
We do. Generally, they'd be armed with, at most, a knife or baseball bat. When guns are used, it's often a break-in to another druggie's or dealer's house.

Have you noticed the UK police and the New Zealand police are not armed (except in special circumstances). I was watching an NZ TV programme where there was a US LEO on detachment to the NZ police. He felt really odd going on jobs without a gun.
01-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #115
Forum Member

If you are going to carry a knife, which I don't recommend, unless you need one for camping - then you should train yourself so that you don't have it taken away and used on you. If you're certain that you need a knife, then get some training. There are Kali, Krav Maga and other classes in nearly every large city (see below link as an example of knife training).

I was once chased off in rural area of China by a group of desperate guys who saw my camera and tried to take it away. My only option then was to run, and luckily I was in great shape and clearly left them behind even with a backpack on (I think they gave up after three blocks). I took up training in Kali after that and now I have two 16" rattan sticks that fit in my backpack that I take to every foreign country I go to. I've used my trained skills to scare off nearly 10 men who tried to intimidate me into giving up my gear in India. I dropped two of them in less than 3 seconds and the others took off running. I'm a passive person, but I don't turn the other cheek. If someone tries to hit me, I don't reason with them. I stop them. If you're often in places that might compromise your safety, it's a good idea to have some training, or simply avoid sketchy areas.

01-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dShelly Quote
If you are going to carry a knife, which I don't recommend, unless you need one for camping - then you should train yourself so that you don't have it taken away and used on you. If you're certain that you need a knife, then get some training. There are Kali, Krav Maga and other classes in nearly every large city (see below link as an example of knife training).
I'm not sure how well people can take a knife from me, but I can take a knife from most people that aren't professionally trained.
01-12-2016, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john.margetts Quote
We do - but they are not armed on any way. On the very rare occasions they are it makes the national news.
Man you are totally living in a dream world.
01-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by dShelly Quote

There is also this interesting piece of literature along the same vein: http://www.amazon.com/Street-Sword-Practical-Blade-Self-Defense/dp/1581605986
01-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Yep.

The time taken for a cop to arrive at the scene could be a lot longer than you'd expect in the USA. When I worked on the railway, I've had to hold trains for quite a while to await police attendance - and the police station was across the parking lot from the station.

I spent two days driving to the capital city in an adjacent state (about 1400km) and didn't see a cop car (nor any cop for that matter) on the whole trip.

We do. Generally, they'd be armed with, at most, a knife or baseball bat. When guns are used, it's often a break-in to another druggie's or dealer's house.

Have you noticed the UK police and the New Zealand police are not armed (except in special circumstances). I was watching an NZ TV programme where there was a US LEO on detachment to the NZ police. He felt really odd going on jobs without a gun.
this isn't all about guns it's about robbery and self defense, I think just maybe that someone who breaks in with a knife or baseball bat may not have your best interest a heart
I would hazard a guess that if you confronted them you'd be cut up like a christmas ham or your head would be busted open like a melon assuming you have done nothing to help yourself. But then again your criminals are probably are much nicer guys than in the U.S. Oh by the way the "unarmed" UK police are rapidly going the way of the dinosaur.

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 08:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Yep.

the cops in Europe don't arrive any faster than in the U.S. just ask the French. It's not that their is something wrong with LEOs it's just a matter of time and distance. A lot can happen in 10 to 30 seconds.

Last edited by MikeD; 01-12-2016 at 05:28 PM.
01-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #120
Pentaxian

this isn't all about guns it's about robbery and self defense, I think just maybe that someone who breaks in with a knife or baseball bat may not have your best interest a heart
I would hazard a guess that if you confronted them you'd be cut up like a christmas ham or your head would be busted open like a melon. But then again your criminals are probably are much nicer guys than in the U.S. Oh by the way the "unarmed" UK police are rapidly going the way of the dinosaur.
Wrong. On so many levels. Vast majority of UK police are still unarmed.
Closed Thread