Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Pentax 67ii: Missing viewfinder piece?

Hello,
I own a Pentax 67ii with the AE Pentaprism finder.

The camera I bought was missing an eyepiece over the viewfinder - there is no plastic (or rubber) ring / no framing piece (or whatever it's called) that would fit into the viewfinder. I believe the missing part should be a small screw ring with grooves on the perimeter so it can screw into my viewfinder, possibly with a small plastic or rubber ring around the exterior for comfort.

I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this and if so, what is the name of the piece that I need (or even better, the part number)?

Attached is a photo of my viewfinder currently - perhaps you can see what is missing.
The reason I'm searching for this is because I cannot attach any rubber eyecups or other viewfinder accessories (such as a magnifier) without it. I bought a genuine 67 eye cup (part number 37410) to use when shooting in bright light, and there is no way to attach it to my viewfinder without this missing piece (there is nothing for the rubber eyecup to attach to on the viewfinder).

I do not think it will help me to buy a new diopter - any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for your help!

Brian Ferry

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
01-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum!

You are missing the prism eyepiece frame, which is removable for mounting accessories such as the right angle finder, magnifier and rubber eyecups.

You should be able to find one on eBay.

Phil.
01-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Phil. I appreciate the helpful reply.
One follow-up question, however - the rubber eyecup accessory that I purchased (part # 37410) needs to attach to something on the viewfinder -- so I am assuming that the original prism eyepiece (and frame) will allow me to do this. Do you know if that's true? If you look at the photo I posted of my viewfinder, you'll see that there is nothing there for an accessory to attach to (unless the accessory itself has a threaded ring, and the Pentax rubber eyecup accessory does not).
Hope this makes sense...

After more sleuthing on the forums today, I did find this thread which suggests that I need to get 4 different parts (my viewfinder looks exactly the same as the original poster's viewfinder in that thread). Perhaps that will solve my problem.... I'm going to call Ricoh US tomorrow and see what I can find.

THanks.
01-10-2016, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brianwf1 Quote
After more sleuthing on the forums today, I did find this thread which suggests that I need to get 4 different parts (my viewfinder looks exactly the same as the original poster's viewfinder in that thread). Perhaps that will solve my problem.... I'm going to call Ricoh US tomorrow and see what I can find.
Yep that should do it. My guess is that the former user removed the prism eyepiece frame to use the magnifier or right angle finder and did not replace it.

Hopefully Ricoh still has the parts, if not purchasing an old non metered prism for just the eyepiece frame is an option.

Phil.

10-18-2016, 02:20 AM   #5

Can someone help with the source for the Pentax 67ii eyepiece and the rubber that goes around it - Ricoh US " Ricoh Imaging does not deal direct with the consumer, only dealers. If your are a repair center I can send you an application fill out and send back to us for review, You can also send your camera in to one of our warranty centers and we will be happy to take care of it for you, or you can find a dealer in your area."

I just need the metal eyepiece tube and the rubber eye-cap that goes around the tube.

Thanks
10-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The missing eyepiece frame also contains the standard dioptre correction lens, so without it you may have difficulty focusing (unless you have the so-called "perfect" 20/20 vision).
I keep my Pentax 67 right-angle finder in an attachable pouch clipped to the tripod. When the eyepiece is removed (fitted with a rubber eyepiece cup), it is immediately placed in this pouch just before removing and fitting the right-angle finder. The previous owner of your camera has obviously let that piece come adrift somewhere, or kept it to put it on another camera. Organising good habits in managing easily lost parts, and sticking to those habits is the first step in preventing loss of critical components.
Is it possible the knurled eyepiece from a Pentax 6x7 / 67 will fit the 67II??

---------- Post added 19-10-16 at 10:05 AM ----------

eBay has rubber eyecups for the 67 / 6x7 and (probably) 67II finders. Don't fit the cheap and nasty Chinese-made junk as it cracks/splits with exposure.
07-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #7

I've come into the same problem. Mine came off while shooting.

Anyone have any other suggestions besides ebay?