Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #1

Pentax 67 - Just bought one off eBay, what to check for to make sure it's good?

I just picked up a Pentax 67 TTL body with a 416xxxx serial off eBay. Seller claims it's near mint but I opened it and see some scratching on the pressure plate (no idea why that would happen, shown in attachment). As this is one of my first times buying a used camera, could any of you more experienced folks give me some ideas on things to check to make sure everything is operating well?

I don't have a lens yet so I don't know if the prism requires that to work but it doesn't seem to be indicating any life when I toggle it's switch to 'on'. The needle on the meter doesn't move and nothing lights up inside indicating it's functional but maybe I need a lens for it to work? I tested the shutter speeds and they seem accurate so far. Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 

Last edited by moodlover; 01-11-2016 at 03:23 PM.
01-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

The pressure plate should be OK, the best bet is to install a fresh battery and shoot a test roll to see if it has any issues. (Get a lens as well.)

Here is a link to the manual if you do not have one:

Pentax 67 SLR, Pentax 2 1/4 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Let us know how it works out.

Phil.
01-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Make sure those scratches are not rough, as they could scratch the film. I have never seen this on a 67 before. Once you get a lens, check the TTL meter against a proven meter for accuracy. Check with the lens wide open, at mid aperture and stopped down. The TTL meters can sometimes be inaccurate in only one EV range but OK in others.
01-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi guys, silly me. It turns out the "scratches" were some form of weird gummy residue (still no idea why that would be in there) and it rubbed right off! Let me ask again since I'm still not sure: is a lens required for the meter to indicate any form of life? I dont see any lights turn on, no beeps or bloops or anything when I toggle it on! Ordering a lens tonight

@desertscape: sounds like a plan, I have a handheld incident meter I'll test it against, thanks!

01-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Congrats on the new gear. What lens(es) do you plan on getting? Load some film up and take it for a spin which should confirm a lot of things after you see the results. If you haven't already, read the procedure for removing/installing the metered prism when a lens is mounted. VERY IMPORTANT. You could break the aperture chain if it's not done correctly.

EDIT: There is also a procedure for how to fire the camera off without film to test things too if you haven't read that already.

Last edited by tuco; 01-13-2016 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add info
01-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi tuco, I am planning on buying the standard 105mm f/2.4. I found one on eBay and asked the seller if the focus ring is smooth and he said "the focus ring of this lens makes a sound with ticktacks, but works smoothly"...does anyone know what the heck that means? Should I avoid this item?
01-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moodlover Quote
Hi tuco, I am planning on buying the standard 105mm f/2.4. I found one on eBay and asked the seller if the focus ring is smooth and he said "the focus ring of this lens makes a sound with ticktacks, but works smoothly"...does anyone know what the heck that means? Should I avoid this item?
Sounds like the seller is describing the aperture ring?

Phil.
01-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, I agree with Phil. It sounds like the seller is saying you can hear the aperture ring plus its focus is smooth.

If the following info is not new to you just let me know. But another thing about Pentax 6x7 lenses is there are generally 3 generations of them plus some M* versions. Lenses will typically have Takumar, 6x7 or 67 on them. So a SMC Pentax 67 55mm f4 lens is not the same as a SMC Pentax 6x7 55mm f4 lens, for example. The 67 is a newer generation. They look similar but have some housing differences and they have a different optical design. This is NOT true for all the 6x7 vs 67 lens generations. In fact only a few changed their optical design.

Knowing this can help you purchase lenses a little more wisely. That is, if a 67 generation lens costs more than say a 6x7 or Takumar generation and the only difference is cosmetic changes you can decide if the newer generation is worth the extra expense or not. You can review all the different Pentax 6x7 lens generations and a rating relative to other Pentax 6x7 lenses in this Pentax 6x7 Lens Guide

01-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
@tuco: thanks for the info, here is the lens I bought - it says SMC Pentax 67 1:2.4 105mm so I assume this is one of the latest generations?: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/u28AAOSwQoFWO3aR/s-l1600.jpg

Would any of you know anything about the Pentax 67's chain? When I take off the TTL viewfinder and look into the slit where a "chain" is supposed to be, I only see what looks to be a thin string of metal or wire, but I dont see any "links" that would make it look like a chain like the older 6x7's have. Any idea if this is normal?
Attached Images

Last edited by moodlover; 01-14-2016 at 07:03 PM.
01-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

@tuco: thanks for the info, here is the lens I bought - it says SMC Pentax 67 1:2.4 105mm so I assume this is one of the latest generations?
Yeah, a 67 gen. And it looks in really clean too. I have a couple of other medium format film cameras that I shoot as well but the 105/2.4 is one lens that gets me reaching for the Pentax instead of the others when I'm in a selective focus mood.

I can't say about the chain. Perhaps someone else can elaborate on that. But I have both a 6x7 and 67 generations of the camera body and the chain looks like a chain on both of them and not like what I see with yours.
01-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
Whoa, okay that has me sufficiently worried now because if I google image search "pentax 67 chain" it's supposed to look like an actual chain and not a thin wire (Edit: I realize this is a 6x7 in the picture but not sure if they changed the chain design?):

If other Pentax 67 users could chip in that would be appreciated!

Last edited by moodlover; 01-14-2016 at 08:14 PM.
01-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

... if I google image search "pentax 67 chain" it's supposed to look like an actual chain and not a thin wire:
I wish Pentax would have not distinguished their generations with 6x7 and 67. Look at your camera body. It says "6x7". Yes you have a Pentax 67 generically speaking ( as in an abbreviated 6x7) but no you do not have a Pentax 67 generation camera as distinguished by branding, FYI.

EDIT:

Facing your camera with the lens off, there is a leaver at about the 11 O'clock position on the lens mount. You can slide that to simulate changing your lens's aperture and see the tab on your "chain" move. Have you tested for that?

Last edited by tuco; 01-14-2016 at 07:59 PM.
01-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #13

Original Poster
Sorry to confuse with the last picture, that is not the one I own but one that I found on Google. The body I own is the newer 1989 version, the "67": http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2GgAAOSwT~9Wi7TF/s-l1600.jpg
01-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

My bad. Well that certainly looks in way better condition then the other one.
01-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #15

Original Poster
Okay just saw your edit and tested out the lever, here is a video of what happens:

https://vid.me/e/MZVP

Seems to be "okay" but as I said it doesn't visually look like a chain...more like a thin wire connected to the meter lever...not sure what to make of this!

Edit: for clarification, I thought it's supposed to look like a link chain:

But it just looks like this:

Last edited by moodlover; 01-14-2016 at 08:18 PM.