Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

Water Fall Shots

I really enjoy the water fall pictures posted here.

To me, using the rather slow shutter speed renders the water to look like a mist - and not really very realistic looking. Has anyone discovered a way to make the water look more realistic - ie., shutter speed setting, or .. ?

01-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem is too fast a shutter speed looks like glass - equally unrealistic. The longer the exposure, the more pronounced the "mist" or "bridal veil" effect, so you probably want a shutter speed slow enough to give just a little motion blur. It's probably going to depend on the scene and may take some trial-and-error.
01-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slicking falling water starts around 1/30 shutter speed - a good place to start
01-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Sure you can freeze water movement with shutter speed.I'm not sure there is a right way or wrong way to photograph a waterfall?Whatever you prefer is right for you but maybe not for me.For me slower shutter speeds give a sense of motion to the water which is something fast shutter speeds will not do.Obviously shutter speeds will vary with the size and speed of the waterfall so just take a series at different shutter speeds and see what works for you.

01-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It rather depends on water flow speed. I aim for around a third of a second.

Is there actually a way of shooting a waterfall where it is actually realistic?
01-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

Video.
01-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Is there actually a way of shooting a waterfall where it is actually realistic?
Apparently not, it's a preference only in the eyes of the beholder? I do prefer to use a shutter speed that captures some of the water action and it still looks like water.

"What is the best way to capture a water fall?" is the question in my mind every time I see one of these pictures.
01-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You can do very realistic waterfall but have to take few shots... One should be slow shutter speed, second around 1/30 and the third one with high shutter speed, then stack them in layers and use the masking feature with brush opacity adjusted accordingly until desired effect. I did this few years ago on request and it was fine. Playing with brush opacity gives great control.

Hope this helps.

01-12-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

There is a thread on moving water;

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/17...ing-water.html

Many of the early images no longer display, but it is worth a trawl though.
Find images that you like the way the water appears and check out the EXIF data if it is present or linked.
I personally like a bit of 'texture' in the water, rather than the fashionable milky look.
01-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter

What about using multiple exposures?
01-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
You can do very realistic waterfall but have to take few shots... One should be slow shutter speed, second around 1/30 and the third one with high shutter speed, then stack them in layers and use the masking feature with brush opacity adjusted accordingly until desired effect. I did this few years ago on request and it was fine. Playing with brush opacity gives great control.

Hope this helps.
RAAT - thanks for sharing this method!