Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2016, 03:32 PM - 7 Likes   #1

Talisker, I

A lesser known location for landscape photography on the Isle of Skye, Talisker offers wonderful photographic opportunities. Bathed in the soft sunset light, looking completely different as the tides come and go, Talisker's magic never cease to amaze me. Definitely one of my favourite locations on Skye.

With the Pentax 645z and the 28-45mm f/4.5. Thanks for viewing! Best,

Vieri

01-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
HYS

Photos: Gallery
Very nice picture! Thank you!
01-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

Great shot! Sunsets are always tricky, at least for me, because you never know what light you're going to get or if clouds will be right. So really, you need several nights at a location to make it worth it.
01-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I agree, it's a great shot, and very well executed.

You've also just reminded me that I really should put the Scottish Isles on my travel list.

01-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

Beautiful image. Looks like the 28-45 is perfect for this type of landscapes.
01-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Talisker's magic never cease to amaze me
Their drams are pretty damned good too.
01-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Very nice picture! Thank you!
Thank you HYS, glad you enjoyed it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Fr3nzy Photography Quote
Great shot! Sunsets are always tricky, at least for me, because you never know what light you're going to get or if clouds will be right. So really, you need several nights at a location to make it worth it.
Very true - I try and prepare a shoot as well as I can, check out the tide table, of course the weather report, and be on location well in advance; however, you'll never know what you'll find, how long the good conditions are going to last (if present, of course), and so on... Last time I was on Skye, I went several times to Neist Point in order to get some shots I was happy with, and twice to Talisker...

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I agree, it's a great shot, and very well executed.

You've also just reminded me that I really should put the Scottish Isles on my travel list.
Thank you very much Rob! If you go to the Scottish Isles, Skye, Arran, the smaller ones (Eigg is beautiful), you'll not be sorry... the only danger is, the landscape there is addictive: once you'll visit them, you'll keep wanting to go back for more!

QuoteOriginally posted by rodagon Quote
Beautiful image. Looks like the 28-45 is perfect for this type of landscapes.
Thank you very much! Yes, the 28-45mm is glued to my 645z most of the time, and is just great for these kind of shots; plus, is weather sealed (definitely a plus on Skye!), takes filters in a pretty straightforward way (meaning, is not nonsensical like the 25mm was), and is optically excellent. I only wish it'd go slightly wider...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Indeed! That's some different (but equally good) kind of "Talisker magic" for you...

Last edited by The Madshutter; 01-19-2016 at 09:07 AM.
01-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I thought there'd be more drinkin' in this thread, but the picture is lovely!

01-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I thought there'd be more drinkin' in this thread
Aye it's just me to lower the tone I'm afraid... but virtual drams aren't the same.
01-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

Saw the topic and had to go pour myself a glass... Lovely.

Photo is not bad either!
01-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Visited here long ago. Hit a sheep and got drunk with the locals. Despite the lambs early demise it really was fun. Beautiful island.

Seriously, great shot and thanks for the memories.
01-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I thought there'd be more drinkin' in this thread, but the picture is lovely!
Aye it's just me to lower the tone I'm afraid... but virtual drams aren't the same.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Saw the topic and had to go pour myself a glass... Lovely.

Photo is not bad either!
That's the spirit, house! To make the virtual dram real!

QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
Visited here long ago. Hit a sheep and got drunk with the locals. Despite the lambs early demise it really was fun. Beautiful island.

Seriously, great shot and thanks for the memories.
WWIFA, your story cracked me up! Sorry about the lamb's early departure from this world, but you really made me nearly spit the Talisker I was sampling while reading the forum!
01-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #13

Not sure which is better, the image (wonderful), the story or the booze.. What little I have been able to get out with the new 645z, the weather has been pretty much nothing but a gray steady rain, I too have found the 28-45 seems to be the lenes of choice. Coming from Canons 17t/s and 11-24 I too wish it was wider but there is a world out there I need took look at from a different perspective..😉
01-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by L3 Doddle Quote
Not sure which is better, the image (wonderful), the story or the booze.. What little I have been able to get out with the new 645z, the weather has been pretty much nothing but a gray steady rain, I too have found the 28-45 seems to be the lenes of choice. Coming from Canons 17t/s and 11-24 I too wish it was wider but there is a world out there I need took look at from a different perspective..😉
Well, I too wish Pentax would come up with a wider option for the 645 system. 28mm = about 22mm in 135 FOV, which is wide but not THAT wide. I would like to have a 18mm FOV or even better a 16mm FOV, with the possibility of using filters... until then, I either bring along a Pentax K3 with a 10-20mm Sigma to cover whatever ultra-wide need I might have: in my last few trips with this combination, though, I ended up not using the K3 + 10-20 almost at all. Turned out, as you said, that it is good (and productive!) to be "forced" to look at the world from a different perspective...
01-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
WWIFA, your story cracked me up! Sorry about the lamb's early departure from this world, but you really made me nearly spit the Talisker I was sampling while reading the forum!
Wonderful! Glad you had a good laugh!