Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Printing 645D Files

I'm looking for any suggestions you folks have for printing to get the most out of the images I've shot. I know I can shoot jpegs and go to costco or walgreens and put my SD card in their kodak reader but it seems like there should be more to it to make sure I get the best looking print. Also, is there anything different I need to do when printing large sizes for framing/selling? I post process in lightroom and export to my hard drive for uploading to the web and posting in threads but one of the reasons I moved to the D was for better prints when I produce something I really like so please give me your input or the steps each of you go through to print for best results. Thanks in advance!!

01-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The first thing to note is that photos look different on paper than on a computer screen. You will generally need to brighten photos more for printing.

Also, since you've invested in shooting medium format, I'd recommend printing some small test shots to master your technique and thus get the most out of your gear.

It might also be worthwhile to use professional printing services like Adoramapix, etc.
01-18-2016, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
how does someone with no previous photo printing experience come to own a niche medium format camera?
01-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I picked up an Epson SC P800 in October. I'm learning a bit about this printing stuff. Things are going well - I sold ~$500 in prints last week though

I've gotten into the habit of doing a 4x6 test print before printing larger - the disappointment costs less if its a miss, and I might be able to use them for greeting cards or something like that. I also bump up exposure (maybe 2/3 Stop)

One thing you may not realize, if you are down rezing to 240 PPI at the Kiosk (it may do it by default), you are losing the benefit of those extra pixels. I wonder if you will really notice the resolution below say a 13x19 print - my K5 IIs hits that at 240 PPI no problem.

01-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
how does someone with no previous photo printing experience come to own a niche medium format camera?
Well I was born in 1979 in the beautiful country of Northern Utah, well actually I was born in a hospital but it was in Northern Utah which incidentally is beautiful. From as early as I can remember my father always had photos hanging on the walls which I later learned that were pictures he took. I always remember being drawn to them, most were black and white and sadly none of them remain due to a variety of unfortunate circumstances and poor choices by him. These photos must have planted the seed of photography for me. When I was in high school I always carried a point and shoot film camera with me and used it to snap candid photos. Unfortunately I was never able to take a photography class because no one would pay the extra fees associated with it. I went to 4 high schools in as many years and as a senior had to work full time to support myself and only took the necessary classes to graduate, forfeiting electives so that I could work and pay rent. When I could justify it, I bought my first digital point and shoot, an Optio A20, if I recall and that was a good next step for me but it wasn't until I was able to get a DSLR and start changing lenses for different perspectives that I really started to get the photos to look the way I wanted them to. I used several Pentax DSLR bodies and moved to the D to really start making the most of landscape photography. I wanted the larger size files, the dynamic range, the difference in depth of field from smaller formats to that of medium format and the thing just fits in my hand so damn nice.
So yeah I didn't grow up in a dark room but I like photography and I find myself drawn to medium format images more so than others. I've scoured the web for some tips but I'm not sure I want to go off what Ken Rockwell has to say on the subject. I want to get advice from people that have already been doing what I am and probably with a better handle on how to get all of what the camera has to offer. I just don't want to trial and error at 40 bones a pop so I thought posting here would be good to get any additional info I can.
01-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
eBay?
01-18-2016, 11:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

My local university offers a digital printing class that focuses on what you need to do to get a great digital print, yours might as well. In state tuition for a single class here is ~$800 after fees and such, your local option will likely vary.

Find a local fine art printer, most reasonably sized towns should have one. Ask at your local photo shop, at a custom framing shop, etc if they know of one. They'll be more expensive but the results will show if they're worth it.

Otherwise, it really is a trial and error process. I'm far from an expert, but so far I've learned a few things.

As Adam mentions, files going to print need to be brighter than those viewed on a screen because prints aren't backlit.

Sharpening needs to be done differently as well, typically prints need to be sharpened more I believe.

Finally, make sure you're working in the same color space as your printer and that your monitor is calibrated so you know what you see on screen is lined up to what gets printed.

I know when I did traditional darkroom prints that I usually made dozens of test strips and test prints to get the final image just right. A lot of that has been eliminated in the digital darkroom but for the final output try inexpensive sizes for test prints first. I normally print 8x10 or 8x12's because anything smaller is too small for evaluation imo.
01-19-2016, 01:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I picked up an Epson SC P800 in October. I'm learning a bit about this printing stuff. Things are going well - I sold ~$500 in prints last week though

I've gotten into the habit of doing a 4x6 test print before printing larger - the disappointment costs less if its a miss, and I might be able to use them for greeting cards or something like that. I also bump up exposure (maybe 2/3 Stop)

One thing you may not realize, if you are down rezing to 240 PPI at the Kiosk (it may do it by default), you are losing the benefit of those extra pixels. I wonder if you will really notice the resolution below say a 13x19 print - my K5 IIs hits that at 240 PPI no problem.
WOW, I just looked that printer out from web...man that sure looks like pro printer.(I just have small epson ink printer, which is pretty good...but not that good.

for littledrawe..

This is actually what I have been thinking lately, so far it has been trial and error in my case...print one and see how it goes -> make correction. While my set up is small, I can really tell difference, by trying. Not so very much other info on internet, I have printed straight out from my LR CC. and after couple try outs I have managed to get something that I wanted.

IF I export that picture and print it from that file...then it is quite a lot different thing. You really have to make sure that your export options are right and you don't make it too small when exporting. Now I'm not a pro, far from it. But I'd like to learn this too. My way is ask, try and try...then ask again. oh and My camera is K-3, not 645D...which is looking more and more tempting. I have never had 645 format or other just these normal cameras and couple years APS-C.

01-19-2016, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

authors have pages and pages of writing that were an exercise for them that will never be published or shared, musicians try many different tunes and riffs and solos and collaborations before their art is ready, photographers have lots and lots of prints sitting around that are the learning , tweaking , experience that comes before mastery of printing , what ever the method.

at my first print for competition go around i printed every image nine times to get where i wanted to be. now (13 years later) i get real close to what i want on the second try....

as mentioned earlier in this thread , its about testing and learning.

i print inkjet at home but my friends who use costco mentioned that profiles are available for each costco printer . go to drycreekphoto.com and search for the profiles for the printer at your costco. i just looked up my local costco and the profiles had been updated this year already! you will need to (profile your monitor) and (set up color management in photoshop) and (load the costco profiles into your photoshop.) if the suggestions in parentheses sound like gibberish you
have some homework to do.........