Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just for my own clarification, as I have no 645d/z:

Is the issue about specific lens support and corrections, or Exif data? Because I scan my analogue pictures (with a Screen Cezanne), and the resultant tiff files I load into C1 without a problem. Of course, there are no exif data with film so I do not loose anything.

01-25-2016, 01:38 AM   #17

PhaseOne wrote code so that C1 will not recognise or process 645Z files.
01-25-2016, 01:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheDocAUS Quote
PhaseOne wrote code so that C1 will not recognise or process 645Z files.
Exactly, if you copy the EXIF from a phase one camera, the files will work perfectly.
01-25-2016, 02:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Perfectly as long as you don't want lens correction profiles specific to Pentax lenses or other corrections specific to the sensor (even if you use a profile from a similar sensor, they are not identical).

01-25-2016, 02:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Perfectly as long as you don't want lens correction profiles specific to Pentax lenses or other corrections specific to the sensor (even if you use a profile from a similar sensor, they are not identical).
The thing is that Phase One are locking pentax out for no reason other than spite. C1 is marketed as one of the best* imaging processor in the industry for medium format...it can open a number of RAW image formats from other manufacturers cameras but it can't even open 645Z files**, the software dev actively coded in measures that would see to it that it couldn't open them.

*Phase would say they are the industry standard...
** Capture one 9.0 doesn't even support Leica S2 files...go figure.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-25-2016 at 03:05 AM.
01-25-2016, 02:58 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Agree...

---------- Post added 01-25-16 at 09:00 PM ----------

Just saying that even if you defeat that by changing the EXIF, you still don't get all the proper features that you would get with a platform C1 supports (which is part of why their results are so good); they offer this support for various 35mm systems that they don't make. So I say 'to hell with them' and use software that wants to support us properly.
01-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #22
Forum Member

Why should Phase One help its competition thrive? That makes no sense from a business standpoint. Allowing Canon or some other DSLR brands to use its software is a way to make an extra profit without diminishing its bottom line. I like C1 and wish I could use it with my 645z, but I understand Phase One's position. Quite simply, Pentax needs to build its own version of Capture One for Pentax owners.
01-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by dShelly Quote
Why should Phase One help its competition thrive?
That is debatable. Personally I do not see the 645Z as competition for Phase One, as each cater for different parts of the MF market. I can see why Phase One does not support the 645Z as it is 1/3 the price, plus Pentax engineers seem to have extracted the best IQ of any of those companies using that sensor, including Phase One. It must be hard to convince people to pay 3 times the price when you are not the best, so they need to stop C1 being used on 645Z files. Of course Phase One has better, but more expensive, MF cameras.

I want to be able to use one piece of software for all my files, hence I have not moved to C1. I paid for C1 and it would be nice to be able to use it for all files.

01-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I have C1 had the basic with the A7RII and upgraded to the pro, but haven't been able to get my head around it, and cataloguing isn't as good as LR...
01-25-2016, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #25

I've spent many years figuring out ACR & PS (and probably still have many years left to go ). At this stage, I firmly believe that neither Capture One or any other conversion/editing software offers anything that cannot be done with Adobe coupled with the proper training/experience/decent files to work with/professional monitors & calibration. I get tempted to try other software from time to time but the effort I have already invested in PS/ACR makes considering other software a daunting proposition. I looked at Lightroom once and thought "what in the hell"?

What I want to know is if Adobe has Phase One profiles.
01-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
cataloguing isn't as good as LR
Say what you want about Adobe, they know how important a well designed DAM interface is.
01-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Say what you want about Adobe, they know how important a well designed DAM interface is.
I dont even know what that is!
01-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Digital Asset Management
01-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #29

I think Phase loses (or better, does not increase) customers and sales in the mid-to-long term with their policy. Their rationale to do what they do is:

Customer A is trying to decide whether they want to buy a 6K US camera or a 30K US camera. Customer A look around to see what software could open his new camera's files. Customer A sees that C1 will not open Pentax files, and suddenly he decides to fork 25K more just for the pleasure to use C1.

To me, there are many flaws in this logic it's not even funny. Phase would be better off, IMHO, selling software to Pentax users (making a buck or two in the process), and luring them into the Phase mojo via the software. As it is, as someone said, it looks very much like they are doing this out of spit.

Best,

Vieri (a former Phase user, btw)
01-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #30
sbh

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The thing is that Phase One are locking pentax out for no reason other than spite. C1 is marketed as one of the best* imaging processor in the industry for medium format...it can open a number of RAW image formats from other manufacturers cameras but it can't even open 645Z files**, the software dev actively coded in measures that would see to it that it couldn't open them.

*Phase would say they are the industry standard...
** Capture one 9.0 doesn't even support Leica S2 files...go figure.
AFAIK They don't support any direct competitors (= medium format). From anything outside of that, they seem to use C1 to make some pocket change and to be visible in the public.

QuoteOriginally posted by dShelly Quote
Why should Phase One help its competition thrive? That makes no sense from a business standpoint. Allowing Canon or some other DSLR brands to use its software is a way to make an extra profit without diminishing its bottom line. I like C1 and wish I could use it with my 645z, but I understand Phase One's position. Quite simply, Pentax needs to build its own version of Capture One for Pentax owners.
Yes please, something like C1 but from Pentax. With all the goodness like no more missing lens data, profiles or waiting for raw support. Maybe they could grab some additional imaging know-how from mama Ricoh.
Where can I sign up as a beta tester?

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
I think Phase loses (or better, does not increase) customers and sales in the mid-to-long term with their policy. Their rationale to do what they do is:

Customer A is trying to decide whether they want to buy a 6K US camera or a 30K US camera. Customer A look around to see what software could open his new camera's files. Customer A sees that C1 will not open Pentax files, and suddenly he decides to fork 25K more just for the pleasure to use C1.

To me, there are many flaws in this logic it's not even funny. Phase would be better off, IMHO, selling software to Pentax users (making a buck or two in the process), and luring them into the Phase mojo via the software. As it is, as someone said, it looks very much like they are doing this out of spit.

Best,

Vieri (a former Phase user, btw)
I guess their primary thought is to prevent existing customers from moving away from their hardware while continue having excellent results with their software. But I don't know. However, I enjoy C1, but they are holding their nose pretty high which leaves a bit of a bad taste indeed.