Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by rfkiii Quote
What I want to know is if Adobe has Phase One profiles.
Yes Adobe has Phase One profiles. The latest versions of PS and LR that came out today have the new Phase One IQ150.

02-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Hi all.

As quoted by Doug Peterson from Digital Transitions on the GetDPI forum, to a user discussing importing 645z files into C1:

"Capture One does not support the 645Z, and support will not be added in the future."

There we have it, straight from the horses' mouth, or about as close to it as we will get.

Its a shame really as I would like to use C1, but not really interested in being "shut out" and as I am about to purchase a full secondary camera system to compliment my Z, I was thinking about using C1, but I don't fancy that attitude.

Now you could take the opinion of "competition this, competitive advantage that", but you would think that C1 would be a door-opening introduction to the world of Phase One for those of use you use higher end systems that are not P1. Obviously they don't see it that way, or see it as enough that they have leaf shutter lenses, better tethering, better dealer/client support network, better sensor-to-processing integration, better in-house profiles.

Rant for the day over......
Blog post on the topic titled, "Pentax 645Z and Capture One" by Photography for Travellers.
02-07-2016, 02:41 AM   #33

I did switch to the 645z recently. It is possible to get the dng files to C1, but losing all the specific corrections is a big deal. And yes it does not make me want to work with p1 in the future. They lock out Pentax customers, because they know the system is far cheaper and probably better then theirs, depending on what you are doing. If you want a separate back, the 645z just doesn't fit, same for leaf shutter.
I did try to edit in c1 one and the files look generally good, however in the meantime I managed to get a better result in LR. DXO is also very good, depending on the files sometimes one is better then the other one. LR can trigger DXO to get the raw processed and back. Very cool feature.
For now I can say Pentax lacks flash sync speed and a proper native support in a raw converter.
I will try to keep some process on my page Fashion Photographer Bangkok / Valentino Photography
02-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I would be a little surprised if Phase One is not in breach of some EU law or regulation over this. Irrespective of their hardware business, the C1 software -- for most intents a general purpose RAW editor -- is deliberately crippled to exclude a competitor. This would be like Microsoft writing code into their browser so that it could not access competitors' sites.

It may come down to omission or commission. Perhaps they are entitled to support whatever cameras they choose. But to actively build in code to exclude others seems a bridge too far.

However, the RAW editor sector is probably too small for the lawyers to bother with.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer!

02-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Shame on Phase One for a childish decision. Did you think it would steer more people toward your hardware?
02-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Clearly Phase is saying that their software is there to support their hardware sales. I guess it might generate some hardware sales but it seems more likely to make people annoyed with them and buy something else.
I'd never make the decision to buy a $30k system to be able to use their software. Their intentional incompatibility just makes me feel like they don't want me as a customer so I write them off completely.

But I also don't have that kind of money for camera gear so for me it's an easy decision.
02-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Clearly Phase is saying that their software is there to support their hardware sales. I guess it might generate some hardware sales but it seems more likely to make people annoyed with them and buy something else.
I'd never make the decision to buy a $30k system to be able to use their software. Their intentional incompatibility just makes me feel like they don't want me as a customer so I write them off completely.

But I also don't have that kind of money for camera gear so for me it's an easy decision.
I guess they don't care about a few thousand potential 645Z owners who would want their software in favor of a handful who will be forced to buy their hardware for the sake of the software. Not to mention all the Pentax DSLR owners who would want it too. I for one would buy it in a heart beat for my K3 and the upcoming full frame. Their software is the best and they know it. Do the math. They lose big time in revenue and goodwill. On the other hand they are desperate for revenue, so I cannot blame them.

Unless I hit the lottery, there is no way I can justify $60k for a system when I can buy a similar performance for less than $20K.
02-10-2016, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #38

Phase One would get more customers if they viewed the 645Z as a gateway to their system when a user wants more from MF. Instead of putting the target audience offside.

Its clear from this thread that their are some 645Z users who would consider the transition at some point. But Phase's position makes the transition that much harder.

02-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by TheDocAUS Quote
Phase One would get more customers if they viewed the 645Z as a gateway to their system when a user wants more from MF. Instead of putting the target audience offside.

Are you saying Phase One will not lose any customers if the 645Z was fully supported by Capture One? I don't see how it's possible that they will gain more customers over losing them.

Its clear from this thread that their are some 645Z users who would consider the transition at some point. But Phase's position makes the transition that much harder.

I guarantee the opposite is true as well. There are some Phase One users who would consider the transition at some point to the 645Z if the 645Z was fully supported.
02-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #40

I am saying they should view the 645Z as a gateway or stepping stone to Phases One's higher end models like the XF IQ3.
02-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #41

I am saying they should view the 645Z as a gateway or stepping stone to Phases One's higher end models like the XF IQ3.

You could just as easily say 645Z could be a gateway to step down for some and save $30,000.
02-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
You could just as easily say 645Z could be a gateway to step down for some and save $30,000.
That is not what posters here were saying. Most of which have the 645Z, they were talking about upgrading at some point, but were put off by Phase One's attitude. The comments support what I said, and I am happy to repeat it.

As good as the 645Z is, it is really not a match for the higher end Phase One's, not the body or the lens selection. The 645Z is better than the Phase using the same sensor, but they have better.
02-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I hadn't thought of Phase users defecting to Pentax but I guess it's a possibility too. Regardless, I think making the application intentionally incompatible will lose them more than a few Pentax converts in the long run.
02-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #44

That is not what posters here were saying. Most of which have the 645Z, they were talking about upgrading at some point, but were put off by Phase One's attitude. The comments support what I said, and I am happy to repeat it.

As good as the 645Z is, it is really not a match for the higher end Phase One's, not the body or the lens selection. The 645Z is better than the Phase using the same sensor, but they have better.

Reread the bold part above that you wrote. Prehaps that is the reason behind the lack of support. They don't won't Phase users jumping ship....even users with low end Phase cameras.
02-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I hadn't thought of Phase users defecting to Pentax but I guess it's a possibility too. Regardless, I think making the application intentionally incompatible will lose them more than a few Pentax converts in the long run.
From Phase One's standpoint, when you are dealing with a camera that is an incredible value like the 645Z they believe there is more risk to cannibalization from losing customers than they get by 'converting' Pentax users. I assume Phase One has put a lot of research into making these decisions. Maybe not. Either way we can't prove them wrong at this moment with the lack of data(A Pentax thread with various comments isn't sufficient to really answer this for sure).

I think this guy summed it up

"Capture One has offered support for DSLR systems for a very long time, a move which opens the door to users upgrading to the 645 format and buying some Phase One hardware. There was a time when Phase One also offered good support for other medium format file systems, such as Hasselblad H3, Leica S2 and the Pentax 645D. As the demand for medium format systems came under pressure by increasingly better DSLR sensors and lenses, the people at Phase One have made a choice to lock out the competition." Pentax 645Z and Capture One