View Poll Results: Should there be a gallery forum section on Pentax Forums
Yes - I want the chance to have my own gallery thread 1334.21%
No - I'm happy with things as they are 2257.89%
Meh- I don't know. 37.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I think we should make clear when if voting for the status quo whether we mean people should be using the images thread (rather than starting their own image threads)or not, since there are differing views of what the status quo is.

01-26-2016, 01:41 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I think we should make clear when if voting for the status quo whether we mean people should be using the images thread (rather than starting their own image threads)or not, since there are differing views of what the status quo is.
Indeed. It seems to me that one person explicitly said he wouldn't want to see single image threads, while one other explicitly said he wouldn't mind
01-26-2016, 03:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I think the intention here was to ask "Shall we have a gallery function or stick to use of the images thread?" but not sure that has come over... Hope we can clarify so that there is either a gallery or a clarification of the status quo, otherwise we are no further forward if there isn't a vote for a gallery.

Speaking for myself, I believe a vote for the status quo means use of the images thread (and people not using their own separate threads for images) but we should be clear on this :-)
01-26-2016, 04:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I think the intention here was to ask "Shall we have a gallery function or stick to use of the images thread?" but not sure that has come over... Hope we can clarify so that there is either a gallery or a clarification of the status quo, otherwise we are no further forward if there isn't a vote for a gallery.

Speaking for myself, I believe a vote for the status quo means use of the images thread (and people not using their own separate threads for images) but we should be clear on this :-)
All depends whether the present gallery section is sufficient for those that want to have individual threads. I personally like the communal sharing that is the PYMFP thread...

01-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter

I am going to say what many others are thinking. Leave site the way it is. If Madshutter wants to have a seperate post for his images, so be it. I personally don't think his images are so special that
they need a seperate post. If he wishes to alienate himself from the rest of the site and members, that is his choice.
Lot of bullshit over one member.
Velvian
01-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Velvian Quote
I am going to say what many others are thinking. Leave site the way it is. If Madshutter wants to have a seperate post for his images, so be it. I personally don't think his images are so special that
they need a seperate post. If he wishes to alienate himself from the rest of the site and members, that is his choice.
Lot of bullshit over one member.
Velvian
Hello Velvian,

you seem not to have gotten the point - is not that I think that my images are special or anything; with my choice of going out the general MF image thread I raised a general "photo appreciation" problem, I simply think that the collective thread is not the best way to appreciate a photograph, comment on it, have a constructive discussion about it - and I am not alone in thinking this way. That's it. Evidently, looking at the debate that followed, this turned to be a topic of interest for many people here: perhaps not to you, but that's not reason enough to resort to insults.

Best,

Vieri
01-26-2016, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter

Not an insult Vieri. Just not sure why your images need a seperate thread. We can comment, discuss and appreciate photos in post your medium format photos thread as is done now.
I do not see seperate threads from any other members and see some great photos in thread already in place for that purpose. Your photos are stunning as are many others here but
do not see the need to alter the format.
They are all just photographs, some of the best are housewives with their smart phone. With the advent of the digital age, anyone can be a great photographer given the right time and place.
As I said, if you want to post your photos in a seperate thread, that is fine. Personally, I don't see the need for same.
No insults, just stating my opinion. I personally don't care where you post your images. I do think however that your attitude of doing as you choose is not compatible with the intent of this thread.
Velvian
01-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Velvian Quote
Not an insult Vieri. Just not sure why your images need a seperate thread. We can comment, discuss and appreciate photos in post your medium format photos thread as is done now.
I do not see seperate threads from any other members and see some great photos in thread already in place for that purpose. Your photos are stunning as are many others here but
do not see the need to alter the format.
They are all just photographs, some of the best are housewives with their smart phone. With the advent of the digital age, anyone can be a great photographer given the right time and place.
As I said, if you want to post your photos in a seperate thread, that is fine. Personally, I don't see the need for same.
No insults, just stating my opinion. I personally don't care where you post your images. I do think however that your attitude of doing as you choose is not compatible with the intent of this thread.
Velvian
Well, it is you that spoke of bullshit and such - not I. As far as the attitude, I think it is time to put an end to this: I am not breaking, and have never broken, any forum rule, which is the common meaning associated with "doing as one chooses". I simply posted single image threads because I think that the best way to appreciate and critique an image is by seeing it alone, and having a discussion about it without having more and different (totally different, often) images intermingling with it. The forum and its rules allow me to do so, so I still - despite all the discussions - fail to see why some members got their panties in a twist over it, but hey, someone is probably a bit oversensitive on some issues. There is no format to be altered, either; there would be if somewhere it would be written "the image discussion happens in the PYMFI thread only", as it is it's just another thread in another forum, and you can choose wether to post there or not.

This thread has been started, I think, with the purpose of clarifying the issue; however, as noted by Ed, the questions asked in the poll are not exactly clear. So far, anyway, it seems that the numbers are very small - a total of 30 people or so spoke, so it seems that (again) the issue has been overblown by many, probably a bit too sensitive, members: I read during the course of the various thread on this subject people talking of "the forum disintegrating", "disrupting the forum" and so on, which is frankly (laughably) overdramatic; once more, I am afraid some people are putting far too much importance into this.

I'd say, live and let live, and that often good things come out of change, but that's just me.

Best,

Vieri

01-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I thought we'd solved it with this:

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
That would then mean single threads in the Medium Format area would be off topic as there is already a section in the forum for single gallery threads. If regular posters like myself, Ed, MikeSF, Thomasbrow, unikpunki, sculptormic, 672, Jonathan Mac, Gavincato started posting individual picture threads in this area, the forum area would be distorted. Images aren't what this forum area is about.

There is a gallery thread area that Madshutter can use, which he indicated he was happy to use, or has he changed his mind? I thought the point was now moot?

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
We are living so deep into this forum that we haven't even looked outside! this is just great... Thank you for pointing that out!

Now I think all the fights can just stop, what do you say itshimitis?
Besides all being sort of moot now (see your new thread / poll), if you had read my reasoning for not putting my photos up in the famous thread, you'd understand why I don't like to put many images in a single thread. It is not the way I think photographs should be looked at, critiqued, and appreciated. I prefer to have a single image up at a time, unless it is a reportage or a unitary project of sorts, where multiple images are needed to get a message across or where they do reinforce each other's message or the like.

Defensive? I don't think so. I explained, amply and with very good reasons, why I do things a certain way. Disrupted the forum's culture? Now you are getting a bit dramatic, aren't you? Checking if it was ok? With who, you? I checked the rules, and threaded accordingly. End of story.

Anyway, if we all had given a look outside the MF forum, all this would not have been necessary So much time and energy, which we could have spent otherwise...

Always interesting to debate, though, keeps one's rhetoric skills sharp. Have a great evening, best

Vieri
01-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Adam and Ole need to address this issue of picture placement. There is way too much quid pro quo going on here.

Steve (long time photo.net moderator)
01-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I thought we'd solved it with this:
We had, but then the discussion went on, I assume you have noticed, since you also participated in it.

QuoteQuote:
That would then mean single threads in the Medium Format area would be off topic as there is already a section in the forum for single gallery threads. If regular posters like myself, Ed, MikeSF, Thomasbrow, unikpunki, sculptormic, 672, Jonathan Mac, Gavincato started posting individual picture threads in this area, the forum area would be distorted. Images aren't what this forum area is about.
No, that would not mean that single threads are off topic. That's a strange logic. If image threads are off topic, then it's off topic also the general one. If they are not, then they are allowed in whichever form.

QuoteQuote:
There is a gallery thread area that Madshutter can use, which he indicated he was happy to use, or has he changed his mind? I thought the point was now moot?
As far as the discussion keeps going on, I am allowed to participate in it, am I not? Especially since Velvian referred directly to me. Are you now disturbed even by discussion? Why do you feel so threatened by this whole thing is beyond me. Wow.

Best,

Vieri

---------- Post added Jan 26th, 2016 at 19:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Adam and Ole need to address this issue of picture placement. There is way too much quid pro quo going on here.

Steve (long time photo.net moderator)
Second that. An admin clear pronouncement to which we'd all have to abide would be very welcome.
01-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The PYMFP thread has been running for more than 6 years. It has clearly been accepted by the membership of this forum as belonging in this section, even if it is not strictly relevant. The only one pushing to change this is you, Madshutter. You're the only one that is trying to upset this situation when there are gallery areas you could use. Why should everyone lose the informal nature of the pictures thread because things don't go your way? One poster should not be allowed to change the culture of the forum, it's not fair one everyone else. You act like it's only me that feels this way. If you are finding that your work isn't getting the showcasing it needs in this forum within its culture, then there are plenty of other forums around. [Please note, I'm not telling you to go elsewhere, I just wish you would participate in the main general thread and use the gallery area to post individual picture threads.]

Don't get obsessed by forum rules. Forums don't exist simply by rules, but out of users considering each other's interests. Every forum has its own culture. For more than 5 years, this area of the forum has existed with just one picture thread and the others being about other topics. Having to lay down rules for which sections should have what shouldn't be necessary. It should be possible to deal with this without that.

In that context, the PYMFP thread has been tolerated in its place for a long time because it takes up very little space within the forum section. It has built a community feel to it with people giving feedback and sharing ideas and discussions in an informal way. I have only used these types of threads, both in this forum section and in the Off-Topic non Pentax section. There is a gallery section. I don't use it myself, but I do keep within the culture and normal posting practises of this forum. I also participate as much as I am able in discussions including within the general images thread.

Just because one thread has been tolerated, does not necessarily mean that all should be. I'm sorry, Madshutter but you are coming across as someone who wants it his way or no one else can have what has existed in this forum for more than 5 years.

When I joined this forum in May 2011 when buying my 645D, I noticed that this area only had one image thread. That told me that this forum area ran with just the one image thread. I posted one Canon image and Adam moved that image to its own similar general images thread in the off topic, and sent me a PM saying he had done so...

Are you seriously suggesting that if you are not allowed to post images in this section then no one else should be either? Seems a rather selfish attitude to me.

Last edited by itshimitis; 01-26-2016 at 11:36 AM.
01-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I am done. I have stated my opinion, though there are many others. As I said, I don't care where Vieri posts his images. If this discussion had been started before images were posted
and intent to do as you choose was not reiterated so many times, I might have a different view. As it is, this can be left to moderators to make their decision.
Velvian
01-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
The PYMFP thread has been running for more than 6 years. It has clearly been accepted by the membership of this forum as belonging in this section, even if it is not strictly relevant. The only one pushing to change this is you, Madshutter. You're the only one that is trying to upset this situation when there are gallery areas you could use. Why should everyone lose the informal nature of the pictures thread because things don't go your way? One poster should not be allowed to change the culture of the forum, it's not fair one everyone else. You act like it's only me that feels this way. If you are finding that your work isn't getting the showcasing it needs in this forum within its culture, then there are plenty of other forums around. [Please note, I'm not telling you to go elsewhere, I just wish you would participate in the main general thread and use the gallery area to post individual picture threads.]

Don't get obsessed by forum rules. Forums don't exist simply by rules, but out of users considering each other's interests. Every forum has its own culture. For more than 5 years, this area of the forum has existed with just one picture thread and the others being about other topics. Having to lay down rules for which sections should have what shouldn't be necessary. It should be possible to deal with this without that.

In that context, the PYMFP thread has been tolerated in its place for a long time because it takes up very little space within the forum section. It has built a community feel to it with people giving feedback and sharing ideas and discussions in an informal way. I have only used these types of threads, both in this forum section and in the Off-Topic non Pentax section. There is a gallery section. I don't use it myself, but I do keep within the culture and normal posting practises of this forum. I also participate as much as I am able in discussions including within the general images thread.

Just because one thread has been tolerated, does not necessarily mean that all should be. I'm sorry, Madshutter but you are coming across as someone who wants it his way or no one else can have what has existed in this forum for more than 5 years.
I explained myself and the reasoning behind my posting many times - still, you seem not to be listening and keep reiterating your piece, so I am done with you. Keep the last word. Besides that, nothing personal but - despite whatever you might say - in the forum framework your will and your say doesn't mean much to me, rules and moderators do: I will wait and see if and when an admin will speak on this, and abide to what they'll say. Until then, chill out a bit, relax, enjoy photography and have a great evening

Vieri
01-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I explained myself and the reasoning behind my posting many times - still, you seem not to be listening and keep reiterating your piece, so I am done with you. Keep the last word. Besides that, nothing personal but - despite whatever you might say - in the forum framework your will and your say doesn't mean much to me, rules and moderators do: I will wait and see if and when an admin will speak on this, and abide to what they'll say. Until then, chill out a bit, relax, enjoy photography and have a great evening

Vieri
My point is that there is a gallery area that you can use, which is what you were asking for. If your objection is that it doesn't get enough focus for your liking, then you need to see what other forums in addition to this one can offer you better coverage. Your implicit suggestion is that you should be able to come on to the forum ignore how the forum runs and then get a very popular thread closed because that suits you, hang whatever everyone else thinks. Just because the rules don't explicitly say you shouldn't do something, doesn't mean you should. This forum works well because the moderators aren't firmly into intervention. Why should that change just to suit you?