Yes - I want the chance to have my own gallery thread 1334.21%
No - I'm happy with things as they are 2257.89%
Meh- I don't know. 37.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could there be a medium format section in the Post Your Photos section? I don't shoot medium format, so I hesitate to weigh in, but my experience on the forum says that photos mostly belong there in the Post Your Photos section, although there have been individual threads created for all to showcase images from a particular camera (K3, K5, K3 II, etc) and those end up in the camera section of the forum.

01-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
... get a very popular thread closed because that suits you, hang whatever everyone else thinks.
Never said that, never meant that. Now you are putting words in my mouth. Must be desperate.

QuoteQuote:
Just because the rules don't explicitly say you shouldn't do something, doesn't mean you should.
No. If the rules don't say that you can't do something, it means you can. Simple logic.

Good evening,

Vieri
01-26-2016, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

And there, in one short post, I think we see the issue. Because I don't think it is that simple. There's more to what one ought to do than the rules. You may not agree, but it's clear to me that lots of us do. The reaction you are getting seems, at root, to reflect this. Whatever you may believe, I really do urge you to respect this (and I say this with friendly intent, hoping that you will continue to contribute here, but within how things work here). After all, it's important that people can disagree and still get on afterwards :-)

All the best,

Ed

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 01-26-2016 at 12:47 PM.
01-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Never said that, never meant that. Now you are putting words in my mouth. Must be desperate.

Good evening,

Vieri
I hope you have a good evening too.

It's implicit in what you say. When you say that if yours shouldn't be allowed, then neither should the general thread. That's saying that if you can't then the nobody can within a general images thread that has existed on this forum for 5 years longer than you.

If you look through this forum, each section you will see a similar culture in each section: One images thread and other threads talking about issues. Off topic section is lightly different in that each type of camera has its own images thread, but the culture in this forum is pretty clear.

01-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
And there, in one short post, I think we see the issue. Because I don't think it is that simple. There's more to what one ought to do than the rules. You may not agree, but it's clear to me that lots of us do. The reaction you are getting seems, at root, to reflect this. Whatever you may believe, I really do urge you to respect this (and I say this with friendly intent, hoping that you will continue to contribute here, but within how things work here). After all, it's important that people can disagree and still get on afterwards :-)

All the best,

Ed
Ed,

let me start by saying that I hold no grudges to anyone, as a principle - discussions like these serves, I hope, to improve life here on the forum for everyone, whichever the outcome.

The point of rules. Ed, I do hope you see how seriously and dangerously wrong is your point of view here - sorry to be so blunt. You uphold these "non written rules" because they suit you this time; what would you say if it was the other way round? If someone would tell you "hey, forget the rules, it's like that"? In every social contract, being it a citizenship, a marriage, a business partnership, etc down to signing up to a forum (and you have been pointed out to the rules when you signed up here, as well), there are rules for a reason: exactly to prevent situations like this, that you and itshimitis created by jumping all over me just because I posted images in the forum when you didn't like it. So, would you act so nonchalantly towards rules in any other field of your life? I seriously hope not.

Best,

Vieri

---------- Post added Jan 27th, 2016 at 00:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I hope you have a good evening too.

It's implicit in what you say. When you say that if yours shouldn't be allowed, then neither should the general thread. That's saying that if you can't then the nobody can within a general images thread that has existed on this forum for 5 years longer than you.
No it's not. You completely misread me on purpose and try to put words in my mouth that I never said.

I am done talking to you about this, there is simply no point.

Best,

Vieri
01-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #36
Pentaxian

My dear friend Vieri,

I considered replying in full to your message, but realised that everything I could possibly say I have already said earlier in this thread - and in the other thread where we have been conversing. So I don't think I will repeat myself, since you already know what I am going to say, and I doubt that I will get a different reply from those you have already given.

All I will add is that I certainly do not realise that my point of view is wrong or dangerous, because I don't believe that it is. The examples you mention of citizenship, marriage, partnerships are perfect examples of what I am describing, and are not about everything being defined by rules - they too work because of shared understandings and conventions, with rules being there to define things at the outset then avoid extremes rather than govern/determine everything. If you really live your life on the basis that everything that is within the rules is fine, and rules should define everything that is not fine, then I am aghast. The position I am advocating is not something I would say only when it suits me, but always, (indeed I am not even sure what, in this debate, does suit me) because conventions and human subtleties always matter. I am not jumping over you and feel that it is a little dramatic (or rhetorical) to describe it that way.

Anyhow, I don't believe that going around this again is adding value, so may just withdraw here (unless I need to defend myself of course) and will upload pictures again once it's clear that the friendly, equal and supportive process/culture around that is to be maintained (which to me either involves everyone only using the shared thread or using something else like a gallery function).

Best,

Ed

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 01-26-2016 at 09:14 PM.
01-27-2016, 01:09 AM   #37
Site Supporter

All I will add is that I certainly do not realise that my point of view is wrong or dangerous, because I don't believe that it is. The examples you mention of citizenship, marriage, partnerships are perfect examples of what I am describing, and are not about everything being defined by rules - they too work because of shared understandings and conventions, with rules being there to define things at the outset then avoid extremes rather than govern/determine everything. If you really live your life on the basis that everything that is within the rules is fine, and rules should define everything that is not fine, then I am aghast. The position I am advocating is not something I would say only when it suits me, but always, (indeed I am not even sure what, in this debate, does suit me) because conventions and human subtleties always matter. I am not jumping over you and feel that it is a little dramatic (or rhetorical) to describe it that way.

Ed

Thank you Ed, for your words. I did hesitate to wrote my own opinion to this matter because of my (basic) english knowledge, especially in this thread where we have to weigh one's word very carefully... But your post represents my feelings very well.

@Vieri
As I can see some good points in your original wish to an alternative way of posting images, I can not agree with your childish attudide "what is not forbidden explicitly must be allowed". This position suits an 8-year old immature child... Social life (real and virtual) doesn't work like this!
01-27-2016, 01:17 AM   #38

My dear friend Vieri,

I considered replying in full to your message, but realised that everything I could possibly say I have already said earlier in this thread - and in the other thread where we have been conversing. So I don't think I will repeat myself, since you already know what I am going to say, and I doubt that I will get a different reply from those you have already given.

Anyhow, I don't believe that going around this again is adding value, so may just withdraw here (unless I need to defend myself of course) and will upload pictures again once it's clear that the friendly, equal and supportive process/culture around that is to be maintained (which to me either involves everyone only using the shared thread or using something else like a gallery function).

Best,

Ed
Dear Ed,

thank you for your reply. I am afraid we have to agree to disagree on many things, but on one we agree and in fact you actually made my point: even if we don't agree with the use of rules (and, again, your position is frankly puzzling, and I wish you luck with that in real life), you said "rules being there to define things at the outset then avoid extremes rather than govern/determine everything". This is not actually true, in real life, rules are there for much, much more than that, but let's assume for the sake of argument that it were true. In the case in point, even your lax interpretation of what the rules are there for applies: you say that there is this supposed "not written rule" of posting in the thread, I post outside of it, creating an extreme situation, and presto: the rules tell us what to do. But no, you wouldn't accept that, you had to keep going on and on just because the outcome of this doesn't suit you (and one other guy) and doesn't comply with your vision of what the forum's life should be (and it's not even your forum), implicitly disrespecting the forum's owners and admins in the process. Let me remind that it is you both that started an holy war on this, went to the crusades against me, and that it was you being overly dramatic with your doomsday prophecies about the forum disintegrating and so on, when all you could do was just let go and, possibly, see if doomsday would really come - or report me to the admins, if you really felt I was doing something so terribly wrong. Which, in a regulated community, if I were you is the path I would have chosen, rather than going all self-righteously to war. But, as we abundantly saw, we have a different view of social contracts.

Best,

Vieri

01-27-2016, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
...started an holy war on this, went to the crusades against me, and that it was you being overly dramatic with your doomsday prophecies about the forum disintegrating and so on, ...
Vieri

Dear Vieri

What the heck did you smoke before writing this post...

If it helps to make pictures like yours perhaps I will like it too...
01-27-2016, 02:02 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Vieri,

I am currently smiling wryly at your ability to see your own faults in me, and not yourself. Going on and on; being unhappy because others do not conform to your vision of how things should be, while it's not even being your group; crusading; being self-righteous.

Sound like anyone you know? Pots and kettles spring to mind.

I never said that not posting images in the shared thread is "extreme". Describing the opposition to your view as me and "one other guy" seems ill-judged, though everyone seems open to galleries as an option (which is the most constructive part of your argument, to my mind). And the concept of me 'reporting you' is still based on the idea that it's all about formal rules - which is not really the point being made here.

Anyhow, if you cannot understand why people object, you cannot see why to act differently unless rules tell you to do so, cannot see things in terms of this being a society rather than a machine following strict orders all the time, then I suggest you keep posting individual image threads. Carry on. Unless the rules tell you to stop, you are free to continue. I hope it brings you what you seek. But it will be without my participation. Not that that probably matters to you one jot. And why should it?

Yours hoping that sense prevails and we can get back to discussing cameras and pictures.

Ed
01-27-2016, 02:03 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Ristretto Quote
Dear Vieri

What the heck did you smoke before writing this post...

If it helps to make pictures like yours perhaps I will like it too...
Well, you should have read all the threads on this in the past According to these 2 particular guys, if I ever posted images out of the famous thread, the "forum will disintegrate", I was "disrupting the forum", and so on... I would nearly manage to end life as we know it, all single handed, according to them... And, they started sort of following my posts and repeating their prophecies every single time... which ended in the creation of this thread. So, perhaps if they shared what they smoked, we could all benefit from it!

---------- Post added Jan 27th, 2016 at 10:05 ----------

Vieri,

I am currently smiling wryly at your ability to see your own faults in me, and not yourself. Going on and on; being unhappy because others do not conform to your vision of how things should be, while it's not even being your group; crusading; being self-righteous.

Sound like anyone you know? Pots and kettles spring to mind.

I never said that not posting images in the shared thread is "extreme". Describing the opposition to your view as me and "one other guy" seems ill-judged, though everyone seems open to galleries as an option (which is the most constructive part of your argument, to my mind). And the concept of me 'reporting you' is still based on the idea that it's all about formal rules - which is not really the point being made here.

Anyhow, if you cannot understand why people object, you cannot see why to act differently unless rules tell you to do so, cannot see things in terms of this being a society rather than a machine following strict orders all the time, then I suggest you keep posting individual image threads. Carry on. Unless the rules tell you to stop, you are free to continue. I hope it brings you what you seek. But it will be without my participation. Not that that probably matters to you one jot. And why should it?

Yours hoping that sense prevails and we can get back to discussing cameras and pictures.

Ed
Ed,

I smile for the exact same reason The more since it is not me that started all this in the first place. Let me remind that all this started because you had to have everyone conform to your vision, and couldn't accept difference.

Best,

Vieri
01-27-2016, 02:11 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I must be hallucinating
01-27-2016, 02:22 AM   #43

I must be hallucinating
Not sure, perhaps just selective memory...
01-27-2016, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

I would remember that
01-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #45

All polemics on where to post pictures aside, I completely second that. Still wondering why no admin has chimed in on the topic yet, though.

Best,

Vieri