Yes - I want the chance to have my own gallery thread 1334.21%
No - I'm happy with things as they are 2257.89%
Meh- I don't know. 37.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2016, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't even know where to begin. It isn't just Ed and I that object to you throwing out convention for your own selfish reasons. Have another look at the earlier post. There were others too. And others in this thread also who you have purposefully ignored.

Now we know that there is already a gallery section to this forum, that takes care of your aim of posting separate threads with individual photos. You talk about me arguing my point only but who is the only one repeatedly posting individual threads with individual photos when everyone else is posting within the PYMFP thread?

If that's not you trying to force your own opinion I don't know what is. You don't even care if you push out other forum members who have been around for longer than you as long as you get to do what you want. do you ever consider how people around you do things before you decide to do what you want in real life? If so, why is this forum any different.

There are forum sections for you to post photo threads in. Why not use them? Your previous objection to the setup of this forum section no longer applies as there is a gallery section. You accepted that earlier. I don't see how the fact the argument went on is relevant.

There is no crusade. Not on my part in any case and while I can't speak for others I don't see any crusade against you. We all like your images but many of us don't like the attitude you show to the rest of us. Your work is so important that it has to exist outside the conventions of the forum section constraints by convention.

I don't look at the rules generally when I join forums because I know generally how to behave. I'm also not going to challenge the status quo without considering others. I saw the convention in this forum when I joined as did pretty much everyone else.

It would be a very sad world if there had to be specific rules for specific situations.

In UK law murder is illegal not because it is contrary to particular legislation but is contrary to 'common law'. So are many other offences. 'Common law' is convention. An extreme version I know, but would you argue that it's ok to murder because the rule isn't written down in the statute book? (And it isn't in the UK). Society would not exist without conventions.

01-27-2016, 04:14 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I don't even know where to begin. ...

Good posting. Fully agree.
01-27-2016, 04:19 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

The reason why there are different sections of the forum is so that things are orderly. In my experience if you post something in a non-appropriate forum - for example something about a New Fuji camera in a lens section -- the mods will move it. But the goal is to put things in the right place the first time and not make them have to dig through a bunch of threads looking for things that are filed in the wrong spot.
01-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As one of the moderators of the forum, I can say first hand that we often have to intercede when discussions get, shall we say, carried away. Having said that, this is one of the most well mannered arguments we've had on the forum and should be left intact as an example for others to follow, at least IMHO.

01-27-2016, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been in hiding due to not wishing to inflame this issue nor my current flare of colitis. However, despite similar said before and above, I would like to ask Vieri what would happen if I retrospectively re posted all my photos as individual threads on the medium format section? No it wouldn't disintegrate. But if a few more were to do so it would no longer be a medium format section it would be a medium format gallery by default. This could be avoided by starting one thread under Madshutter Photos in the Medium format section that people could subscribe to by commenting. This would then risk turning the section into a truely subpar Flickr. Or if you alone did so it would be appear narcissistic. Alternatively use the post your medium format photos thread for medium format photos and avoid all of the above. And we do not need a new gallery section as one already exists.
01-27-2016, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Sometimes we can learn from older photo forums like Photo.net. I was one of their medium format moderators for nine years. Well mannered arguments usually escalate into vitriolic arguments which need intervention. Personal attacks are poison to forums. Here is part of the Photonet Terms of Use statement. It is striving for civility.

We encourage the sharing of ideas and opinions on the topic of photography, but photo.net is not an "anything goes" website. Photo.net users come from all locations and backgrounds, and have diverse thoughts, beliefs, and feelings. Keep this in mind when you participate in the community, and treat others with respect. Postings that attack another person's motivation, intelligence, or character degrade the quality of the discussion and discourage thoughtful comments by others. There are many places on the internet where you are welcome to have moral or political arguments, however, in almost every case, photo.net is not one of them. Neither is this community a place for you to harass, abuse, threaten, or otherwise bother other members, and it's not a place for you to do anything illegal. We don't want to kick you out of the community, but if you do any of these things, we will. So don't do them.

Last edited by desertscape; 01-27-2016 at 01:52 PM.
01-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Agree very much, people!

So, where does this leave us? The rules have not changed... We have not been told definitively what to do... So the efficient working and good spirit of the site depend on people respecting each other and the culture of the group. Good thing, I say. Much better for it to work that way than have endless rules foisted upon us, unless it becomes impossible to avoid them. The general feeling is clear to me, reading this thread and others. We will each have to make our own minds up about that. But here's hoping. It has been a useful, if sometimes heated, debate - but I really do think the consensus is pretty apparent.

And, just to reiterate, no hard feelings and I look forward to enjoying both technical discussions about gear, and enjoyable sharing of images.

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 01-27-2016 at 02:36 PM.