View Poll Results: Should there be a gallery forum section on Pentax Forums
Yes - I want the chance to have my own gallery thread 1334.21%
No - I'm happy with things as they are 2257.89%
Meh- I don't know. 37.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Do we need a gallery section for the whole forum to use?

The Pentax forums has some great photographers across its boards, and at present there are only gallery threads within each section. This is causing some consternation here in the medium format section where there has always been a convention of using the "Post Your Medium Format photos" thread rather than placing individual photos in individual threads which has the potential to block up the forum.

With this in mind, do you think that the forum needs a gallery section for people to upload their photos in their own individual threads for showing off their work or to invite constructive criticism? We have some wonderful photographers and it would be great to have a way of allowing them to show off their work.

What do you think?

01-24-2016, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

As you know, my answer is yes. Thank you for starting this thread

A photo sharing section like that HERE would be perfect and easy enough to implement in the current forum's framework.

Last edited by The Madshutter; 01-24-2016 at 10:42 AM.
01-24-2016, 10:46 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
The Pentax forums has some great photographers across its boards, and at present there are only gallery threads within each section. This is causing some consternation here in the medium format section where there has always been a convention of using the "Post Your Medium Format photos" thread rather than placing individual photos in individual threads which has the potential to block up the forum.

With this in mind, do you think that the forum needs a gallery section for people to upload their photos in their own individual threads for showing off their work or to invite constructive criticism? We have some wonderful photographers and it would be great to have a way of allowing them to show off their work.

What do you think?
Something like this?
Photo Sharing and Galleries - PentaxForums.com
01-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter

We are living so deep into this forum that we haven't even looked outside! this is just great... Thank you for pointing that out!

Now I think all the fights can just stop, what do you say itshimitis?

01-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
No, those don't work well, IMO This got started here because of a disagreement within the medium format forum. So, #1, there would need to be a medium format specific forum, because part of the point is that it's medium format specific, for some good reasons. #2, these photo-sharing and galleries wind up having the same problem that has caused a dispute in this forum, namely a friction between wanting to be selective about how one's images are beheld, against a more informal sharing situation. As a webmaster I know that there exist gallery modules out there (at least for the one I help run, which is Drupal based...) that would work better than the ones implemented already---for instance, allowing dark or neutral grey backgrounds as an option (as one functionality example). So, the existing situation doesn't quite suit, I don't think, at least from my quick-ish review of it.
01-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
No, those don't work well, IMO This got started here because of a disagreement within the medium format forum. So, #1, there would need to be a medium format specific forum, because part of the point is that it's medium format specific, for some good reasons. #2, these photo-sharing and galleries wind up having the same problem that has caused a dispute in this forum, namely a friction between wanting to be selective about how one's images are beheld, against a more informal sharing situation. As a webmaster I know that there exist gallery modules out there (at least for the one I help run, which is Drupal based...) that would work better than the ones implemented already---for instance, allowing dark or neutral grey backgrounds as an option (as one functionality example). So, the existing situation doesn't quite suit, I don't think, at least from my quick-ish review of it.
They are also well hidden. I've been a member for years but haven't seen that!
01-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #7

I realize this might be a struggle to settle, and one compromise option that isn't in the poll could be topic-specific threads for photos. This would keep the thread count to a minimum, but also keep photos among like-themed photos, which, if I remember the original thread correctly was one of the concerns.

That said, I certainly understand the concern madshutter has with regard to the single thread's confusion. While I've been using it, it can be difficult some times to find the original photo a comment is about if it's a page or two back. That said, while I am voting for a separate section, I would be open to the compromise option I listed or if the Mod says that it's too difficult, no change.

You can see another example of a separate gallery section, with sub-forums for specific items here: canon rumors FORUM - Index
01-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Keep the "post your medium format photos" and disallow photos to be put in individual threads in medium format.

01-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #9

I'm primarily interested in medium format pictures and wouldn't want them mixed with others.
01-25-2016, 12:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Perhaps a few sticky threads for MF Photos of different categories i.e. Landscape, Portrait, Commercial would be good.

I for example only want to see landscape.

That would cut down on the thread size and off topic conversation.
01-25-2016, 01:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Perhaps a few sticky threads for MF Photos of different categories i.e. Landscape, Portrait, Commercial would be good.

I for example only want to see landscape.

That would cut down on the thread size and off topic conversation.
You could have a forum sub-section "Post your MF images" divided into categories as you said. This would be the ideal solution IMHO. Best,

Vieri
01-25-2016, 02:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Have the moderators indicated that they are open to changing things in response to this poll?
01-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #13

There is a thread " post your medium format photos". There only seems to be one person that has to have an individual post for their photos.
Many opinions have been expressed, mine is to leave it the way it is. If someone wants their own post, so be it. Forum members can
look or not and form their own opinions. There are many fine photographs, not sure why we need categories. Part of the pleasure of viewing is the diversity.
Velvian
01-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Have the moderators indicated that they are open to changing things in response to this poll?
No response as yet, mate...
01-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Well, at present, the vote is on favour of the status quo, which to me suggests using the images thread...