Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Norm- The weak Canadian dollar is an advantage for Canadian miners, as gold and silver priced in that currency are more affordable to mine. Buying Canadian mining stocks is a good idea. You can use your earnings to buy your 645D.

01-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Buying Canadian mining stocks is a good idea.
Unless you are really, really sure of what you are doing, it can be more like your savings playing Russian Roulette with five out of six chambers loaded. All it would take is for the current CDN Govt to fold before anti-mining interests and those stocks become penny dreadfuls.
01-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Pathdoc- No, i'm not suggesting buying small speculative miners. Yes, you have to know what you're doing. Serious research is required.
01-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Unless you are really, really sure of what you are doing, it can be more like your savings playing Russian Roulette with five out of six chambers loaded. All it would take is for the current CDN Govt to fold before anti-mining interests and those stocks become penny dreadfuls.
One only hopes they close that asbestos mine, if it isn't closed already.

The rise in the US dollar must be causing some confusion at home, too, given the dire predictions made by some about the US economy. Fortunately, I did most of my lens buying while the AUD was high, but not through economic prognostications - I did it while my income was still comparatively high.

New Pentax lenses, though, have continued to be priced here at the same level for some time, which is possibly a tribute to the local distributor's futures trading acumen, or maybe just that they deal in similar currency values (not dependent on the USD). A 645D, though, would be a different matter.

01-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #20

Side note: Is the 645D stock worldwide almost gone at this point? The ebay listing mentioned the 645D was sold out everywhere in Japan and I just noticed B&H photo just raised the price of the 645D by $200 lol

I was hoping it would hit $3k new. I don't think i'd want to pull the trigger until I see what the K1 has to offer since it's likely to come in well under $3k from multiple sources.
01-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Norm- The weak Canadian dollar is an advantage for Canadian miners, as gold and silver priced in that currency are more affordable to mine. Buying Canadian mining stocks is a good idea. You can use your earnings to buy your 645D.
I used to live in Timmins and I've seen first hand the kinds of scams that go on around Canadian mining stocks. I wouldn't invest in Canadian mining stocks without ta trip up to Timmins for some insider info on what's real and what's scam. And I'm guessing, the folk I used to know are more than likely no longer in the loop. Some of them made some big time money though.

But from my perspective, there's no way to come out on top with Canadian mining stocks, without insider information. If you can live with that you will have opportunities to double your investment in 6 months. If you're a law abiding kind of citizen, odds are, your money will end up in the hands of those who aren't.

When the mining community says they are looking for investors, much of the time they are looking for suckers.

There's actually a guy from Alberta tearing up beautiful pristine wilderness and the largest old growth red pine forest in the world, who's basic scheme seems to be, do as much damage as possible and hope the government will buy the area to make a park. And he has a pile of investors who have bought into that. And the mining association has put up huge money to protect him legally. Mining companies aren't always about mining. In his prospectus he says they are getting ready for changes in technology that will enable him to make money on extremely low grade ore. But everyone including the Government, the mining association, and the investors know what he's really up to. At one point he had the Government ready to pony up, but it fell through and so far his millions have bought him nothing. That doesn't stop him from paying himself a great income as CEO with investors money. He sends out a crew every couple of years to drill some holes and tear up some more wilderness, because he can.

---------- Post added 01-28-16 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Side note: Is the 645D stock worldwide almost gone at this point? The ebay listing mentioned the 645D was sold out everywhere in Japan and I just noticed B&H photo just raised the price of the 645D by $200 lol

I was hoping it would hit $3k new. I don't think i'd want to pull the trigger until I see what the K1 has to offer since it's likely to come in well under $3k from multiple sources.
My guess is that once the K-1 is released demand for 645Ds will plummet. If you can get 36 MP and share lenses, and get shallower DoF, 40 MP with 2.8 being the fastest lens available, and having to buy into a second lens system, just won't be all that attractive. Especially since the 645D never topped the D800 or D810 in terms of low light performance, noise or Dynamic range.

Last edited by normhead; 01-28-2016 at 07:57 AM.
01-28-2016, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #22

I actually bought my Z because the Canadian dollar was weak. I was in Calgary last Spring (when they were first running the free 55mm special) and saved about $2k USD versus buying it from B&H

01-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LA_Photographer Quote
I actually bought my Z because the Canadian dollar was weak. I was in Calgary last Spring (when they were first running the free 55mm special) and saved about $2k USD versus buying it from B&H
SO what, you're saying is, this weak Canadian dollar works for you. Well I guess that's the thing. Somebody wins, somebody loses. You're happyy when you are winning, you're not when you're losing. At least somebody benefited. Good for you.

Last edited by normhead; 01-28-2016 at 07:45 PM.
01-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by LA_Photographer Quote
Wow i didn't even think of that. Are you able to order from Canadian stores online in the US or is there tax against goods?
'
01-28-2016, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #25

You can order online from most place (Yodobashi in Japan has a page dedicated to international orders to answer any questions), but I was traveling across Canada for the entire month. I just called ahead to the shop and asked them to hold one for me. There is an import tax, but it's not much
01-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My guess is that once the K-1 is released demand for 645Ds will plummet. If you can get 36 MP and share lenses, and get shallower DoF, 40 MP with 2.8 being the fastest lens available, and having to buy into a second lens system, just won't be all that attractive. Especially since the 645D never topped the D800 or D810 in terms of low light performance, noise or Dynamic range.

I would think so as well but i think that only hold true if there is enough of a stock. If the stock of the new 645Ds is basically gone then any models in new condition probably keeps its value or rises due to supply and demand.
01-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But from my perspective, there's no way to come out on top with Canadian mining stocks,
I'm not sure there's any chance of anybody making money in any stock right now.
I'm considering waiting another month or so, whenever it looks like the bottom has been found, and buying several thousand Canadian dollars.
01-28-2016, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm considering waiting another month or so, whenever it looks like the bottom has been found, and buying several thousand Canadian dollars.
Please don't do that, just when you think things can't go any lower, they invariably do. Why not come north for a fishing trip? I guarantee you will get a great experience at a bargain price and you'll make some people in the tourism industry happy.
01-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Please don't do that, just when you think things can't go any lower, they invariably do. Why not come north for a fishing trip? I guarantee you will get a great experience at a bargain price and you'll make some people in the tourism industry happy.
well, that does sound like fun. Almost as much fun as poking at Norm.
01-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
well, that does sound like fun. Almost as much fun as poking at Norm.
What? did someone say my name?

Was it Jenna?

What did she say?

Last edited by normhead; 01-28-2016 at 07:47 PM.