Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not yet.

01-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by LA_Photographer Quote
I actually bought my Z because the Canadian dollar was weak. I was in Calgary last Spring (when they were first running the free 55mm special) and saved about $2k USD versus buying it from B&H
I'm guessing you got it from Camera Store then? They seem to be the only big store that doesn't ship to the U.S.
01-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Norm, just buy a film 645, you'll save a ton of money. I find my hit to miss ratio is amazing with my film 645 because I'm so picky with each shot. :-)

I hear you, the poor loonie is pretty brutal for e-shopping... but it's keeping me from making a lot of silly purchases too, so that's good!
01-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #34

Now if you are in the US and wanting a 645Z, that 40% difference makes the prospects of buying in Canada interesting! That's what I did last year when the free DFA 55 was included, and no tarrif.

01-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Norm, just buy a film 645, you'll save a ton of money. I find my hit to miss ratio is amazing with my film 645 because I'm so picky with each shot. :-)

I hear you, the poor loonie is pretty brutal for e-shopping... but it's keeping me from making a lot of silly purchases too, so that's good!
I have film 645. I've never come to terms with what I'd have to do for processing.

And how do you chimp?
01-30-2016, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have film 645. I've never come to terms with what I'd have to do for processing.

And how do you chimp?
The same way I chimp on my 35mm Pentax film cameras, to pull the camera away from your eye, look at the back of the camera, see a black body no screen and think to yourself Duh wrong camera. It's easy and if I can do it I am sure you can too.
01-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

And how do you chimp?
Are we talking about 120/220 film that shoots the 6x4.5cm format? I've always developed my own B&W but sent my C-41 or E-6 to a lab. We have one lab still remaining in my entire state, and I'm fortunate that it is not too far from me. But if I want quality, our last remaining film camera store will ship it for free to the Homepage where they will develop and scan it for me. They then send me my scans on dropbox or I can wait about a month for the negs to be sent for free to the store OR I can pay extra and have the film returned to me asap. The FIND lab (Film Is Not Dead) is in Utah.

For sure there must be labs in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, if not every major city in each province.

BTW: I chimp by peeling the banana from the other end. Scratching arm pits optional.

01-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And how do you chimp?
Black and white processing is such a charming affair, I love processing it at home. Plus slow speed film + 645 size is so good. You should run some RPX 25 through it, with a tripod, it's so good. For colour, I think I've told you of GPC labworks before, here in Ottawa. I'm not sure how shipping to you would work though...

Chimp? I forget, is that when you look at the back of your camera looking for an LCD?
01-31-2016, 06:48 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My problem with that, is I was always one of those guys who took his film to the "One Hour Photo." I like to see the negatives while the shooting process is still fresh in my mind. Chimping is perfect for me. Chimping with a flu card is even better. Being trained at Ryerson, I got in the habit of doing a shooting session, running to the darkroom and looking at a few contacts, before taking my set-up down. We even did that with models present a few times, just tell them to take a break and go for a coffee, and then rush around the darkroom like a madman.

I am considering getting a film tank for black and white, but see no point in doing so without a pretty good quality scanner. And, I was always really heavily weighted towards colour. So, I'm not even sure how much interest that would be to me.
01-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My problem with that, is I was always one of those guys who took his film to the "One Hour Photo." I like to see the negatives while the shooting process is still fresh in my mind. Chimping is perfect for me. Chimping with a flu card is even better. Being trained at Ryerson, I got in the habit of doing a shooting session, running to the darkroom and looking at a few contacts, before taking my set-up down. We even did that with models present a few times, just tell them to take a break and go for a coffee, and then rush around the darkroom like a madman.

I am considering getting a film tank for black and white, but see no point in doing so without a pretty good quality scanner. And, I was always really heavily weighted towards colour. So, I'm not even sure how much interest that would be to me.
Fair enough, good to know what you like. You could always make a DSLR scanner, I've been running circles around my friends scanner with my DSLR setup.

FWIW, if you ever want to get rid of your 645 body, consider me a highly interested buyer, I'd love to get a second body for the system.
01-31-2016, 08:01 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fair enough, good to know what you like. You could always make a DSLR scanner, I've been running circles around my friends scanner with my DSLR setup.

FWIW, if you ever want to get rid of your 645 body, consider me a highly interested buyer, I'd love to get a second body for the system.
I'll file that information... Tess has been trying to get me to get rid of it, so far, I just keep hanging on...
01-31-2016, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A camera store in Vancouver has a NEW 645 kit on display in their Ricoh/Pentax section:

645 Body & grip: $999.99
645 A75/2.8: $399.99
645 A150/3.5: $659.99
645 A45-85/4.5: $1499.99

The boxes stick out like a sore thumb amongst the newer Ricoh/Pentax ones, because of their old style silver & red colours!

The store makes no effort in trying to get ride of this kit by lowering the price, so I'm thinking they like having it around as a conversation piece.

They also had a new Spotmeter V that now is proudly in my possession.

The problem with with buying a 30 year old "new" camera is that it probably still needs a trip to Eric for a CLA and also the lack of a warranty. (Something to work out with the store before buying it) I'd love to see the response you would get from Ricoh if you sent in the cameras warranty card for registration!

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 01-31-2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
01-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw a very nice kit FS on EBay today of the 645N, A55, A75 and A150 + 120 and 220 inserts, with what appeared to be all the bits and papers and boxes for $950. I was awfully tempted, so I walked away from the computer.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-31-2016 at 02:03 PM.
01-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #44
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3:
The store makes no effort in trying to get ride of this kit by lowering the price, so I'm thinking they like having it around as a conversation piece.
It's quite possible that they don't really want to sell it.
Every bicycle in my shop is for sale. One of them, however, I'm particularly fond of and it was made for only one model year; 10 years ago. I really don't care whether it ever sells.
01-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
I'm guessing you got it from Camera Store then? They seem to be the only big store that doesn't ship to the U.S.
Actually, the 55mm lens (that came free as a promo) wasn't in stock so they just shipped it to me in the US. Perhaps they don't normally offer US shipping, but it wasn't a problem at the time and I didn't get stuck with any extra duty fees.