Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 04:11 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi!

Many thanks for all your feedback.

I will most probably follow the opinion of the majority and get the 645Z. I thinks that's the wisest.

Best regards!
Baldomero

01-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd get the lens because landscape and portraits don't need the Z features that much. Sure those are great features but a lens covering a FL you can't currently cover will give more return for that investment IMO. But neither is probably a big mistake, so enjoy whatever you decide!
01-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'd get the lens because landscape and portraits don't need the Z features that much. Sure those are great features but a lens covering a FL you can't currently cover will give more return for that investment IMO. But neither is probably a big mistake, so enjoy whatever you decide!
I second that!
01-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Well, the 645z has live view, very useful for landscapes, tilting screen that could sometimes come handy when shooting with the camera very low on the ground, and handles long exposures much better than the 645d, which to me are the biggest plusses for landscape that the Z has over the D... to me, they make it worth the upgrade alone, but of course YMMV... In the end, I think he is bound to end happy whichever way he decides to go

01-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
If you are mainly a landscape photographer and you don't need the 55mm's f/2.8 aperture for other types of photography, I'd sell the 645D, 35mm and 55mm and buy the 645z and 28-45mm to replace them all (if your budget allows with the help of the three sales). 645z, 28-45mm, 75mm and 150mm (perhaps replacing the 150mm with the 120 macro, if you find it, to add some macro capability to your kit shall you need it) is a dream kit for the landscape photographer. That's the kit I am taking with me next week going to the south-west U.S.A.
Although a bit besides the topic, sorry for that! Have a good and save trip Vieri and always the best light Best regards, Udo
01-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #21
Forum Member

Go with the camera body. You have plenty of lenses that will suit your purposes. And if you really want that lens, sell your other lenses and then buy the new zoom you're interested in.
01-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by desertdiver Quote
Although a bit besides the topic, sorry for that! Have a good and save trip Vieri and always the best light Best regards, Udo
Thank you very much Udo! Looking forward to be on the road again!

Best,

Vieri

01-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #23
Forum Member

You can make a strong case for either decision. If it was me I would let it be driven by what I feel is most lacking in my current setup: am I often trying to make a composition that requires a wider angle than what the 35mm lens gives? Or am I finding I often need more dynamic range for contrasty scenes? Or am I craving much better high ISO capabilities so I can easily shoot at 1600 or even 3200 in order to use a fast enough shutter speed to stop the movement of leaves and grasses in locations where wind almost never lets up? Or am I needing more critical focusing capabilities with telephoto lenses that having Live View would provide?

I used the 645D shooting landscapes in America fulltime for about 6 months and it performed very well for me at base ISO. But as I often photograph trees in autumn or wildflowers in spring, wind is a huge factor and requires decently fast shutter speeds as well as generous depth of field, but higher ISO's were not usable for me on the D (I do not like the look of the noise in the D files above ISO 100, and I print up to 60" wide where it's apparent). A smaller percentage of the time I exceeded the dynamic range of the D's sensor so that became a factor as well. I use only the 645Z now and it has solved those issues for me.

I do not 'see' in very wide angle as I look for compositions in the field, so the 35mm lens has worked fine for me as my widest optic. But there are a few times where a specific scene really demanded a wider field of view, and for that I wish I had the 28-45mm or the 25mm available.

Cheers,
Ross
01-26-2016, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
If you are mainly a landscape photographer and you don't need the 55mm's f/2.8 aperture for other types of photography, I'd sell the 645D, 35mm and 55mm and buy the 645z and 28-45mm to replace them all (if your budget allows with the help of the three sales). 645z, 28-45mm, 75mm and 150mm (perhaps replacing the 150mm with the 120 macro, if you find it, to add some macro capability to your kit shall you need it) is a dream kit for the landscape photographer. That's the kit I am taking with me next week going to the south-west U.S.A.
This was pretty much along my line of thinking, although I was thinking more of buying the 645z, selling the 645D and 35mm lens and keeping the 55mm. Put the proceeds from selling the D and 35 towards the 28-45mm.

In either case, I'd have to sell my first born to afford the 645z. If anyone's interested, pm me.
01-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #25

Original Poster
You are all fantastic! Many thanks for your advice!

I have kind of made up my mind. Leaning towards the Z as I mentioned before... Mainly because of the versatility it offers. Lens are always the most important for me, but after seeing the kind of results the Z can produce, it's very hard not to feel tempted by it.

Regards to you all!
Baldomero
01-26-2016, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll probably get a Z after the Z II comes out.
01-26-2016, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bcoelho Quote
You are all fantastic! Many thanks for your advice!

I have kind of made up my mind. Leaning towards the Z as I mentioned before... Mainly because of the versatility it offers. Lens are always the most important for me, but after seeing the kind of results the Z can produce, it's very hard not to feel tempted by it.

Regards to you all!
Baldomero
I also think that's a good decision. It is very true that in landscape and other types of work iso 100 can be all you need----until you've actually used a Z, that is. The flexibility the camera offers with its brilliant high iso performance (and you don't need to be shooting at iso 6400 to appreciate it, because the sensor's capabilities gives you great performance at modest iso's, like 200, 400 and 800...), plus other upgraded features from the D, will really improve your shooting experience with the lens set you already have.
01-31-2016, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bcoelho Quote
Hi there!

I currently own a Pentax 645D with the following lenses:

A 35mm f/3.5
D-FA 55mm f/2.8
FA 75mm f/2.8
A 150mm f/3.5

I am primarily a landscape photographer (also very keen on portraits).

Being so, I was considering to get the DA 28-45mm zoom, but what if I kept my current lens setup and opted for the 645Z instead? It would be more or less the same price. The new Z seems to be a huge step forward from the D...

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

Kind regards,
Baldomero
28-45mm is one of the best wide angle ever created for any system. The perspective it gives is just mind blowing. For landscapes, how can you live without it? You can buy all the Z's in the world and it will not give you the perspective you want.
02-07-2016, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #29
Inactive Account

You can make any images shine on whatever camera you own -- it's the upgrade myth everyone falls into the trap.. i would get the lens..
02-08-2016, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #30

Been sitting here for a few minutes weighing my answer. I say find a way to buy both.