Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

645z Video Quality - question!!

Hi there,

I own a 645z - of course its the best camera I've ever used!
I'm not planning on using it for video - believe me I did my research before and realised this was its one flaw.

However - I did a test shoot for a friend's music video and the quality is truly awful. Almost unusable - I'm considering adding a filter over it to make it look like VHS!

I just wanted to ask - am I missing a trick here? Do I need to conform to some different format? It can't be this bad.

I shot at 60fps, Full HD in order to slow it down in post - the image looks like its shaking constantly, the moire is awful.
I've put it through Premiere Pro etc etc...I can't get it to look half decent.

Please help! Theres nothing online really...

Thank you

MK

01-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkpto Quote
the image looks like its shaking constantly,
Did you have digital SR turned on? That usually turns your video into garbage pretty quick. Also, I'd be curious what the footage looked like. Can you post some? I don't think I've seen any samples from a 645Z yet.
01-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Can you post some? I don't think I've seen any samples from a 645Z yet.
Same. Could you export a clip and upload it for us to see?
01-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Luckily I tested it before with the SR as I read about that. Switched it off immediately! Truly awful.

I shot entirely on a tripod for fear of shake with SR switched off.
I can try and post some footage now...

Thank you

---------- Post added 01-26-16 at 03:19 PM ----------

Okay here is a quick clip - https://vid.me/fM4X

I have slowed down in Premiere and exported without changes - I assure you the quality of the raw .mov files are exactly the same.

The first shot is slightly overexposed but the loss of detail on the power lines and the edges of those trees is terrible.
The second shot is exposed correctly - but it just can't deal with the hair detail.
If you fullscreen you'll see its almost shaking - like the noise is moving..! It was shot at 400 iso...

I just feel like it can't be this awful - there must be a way I can conform the raw footage or something. Its the 'shake' that bothers me most. The camera was entirely still - its in every shot.

And yes - before you ask that is my friend's Elvis obsessed 13 year old son with his three-legged dog...of course!

01-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sadly Pentax suck at video. It's just how they are.
Having said that, I too am curious to see your footage

Meanwhile, compare yours to some 645Z samples found on YouTube

---------- Post added 01-27-16 at 08:28 AM ----------

Its the 'shake' that bothers me most. The camera was entirely still - its in every shot.
Oh yes, that isn't good at all. It's like there's a problem with the IBIS mechanism.
01-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

Original Poster

I have slowed down in Premiere and exported without changes - I assure you the quality of the raw .mov files are exactly the same.

The first shot is slightly overexposed but the loss of detail on the power lines and the edges of those trees is terrible.
The second shot is exposed correctly - but it just can't deal with the hair detail.
If you fullscreen you'll see its almost shaking - like the noise is moving..! It was shot at 400 iso...

I just feel like it can't be this awful - there must be a way I can conform the raw footage or something. Its the 'shake' that bothers me most. The camera was entirely still - its in every shot.

And yes - before you ask that is my friend's Elvis obsessed 13 year old son with his three-legged dog...of course!
01-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

could you put it on youtube perhaps? I can't access that link
01-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It's like there's a problem with the IBIS mechanism
No IBIS on 645...

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
could you put it on youtube perhaps? I can't access that link
It is like the shaking in the second video shared by @Steve.Ledger but a little more severe.

01-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

Ok, I have an idea of what could be happening, I think the problem is you used 1080p at 60i, meaning that the video is interlaced, as I know, the 645z doesn't produce 60p at 1080p, only at 720p. You can try taking some clips with different frame rates with non interlaced video just to be shure.
01-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Sadly Pentax suck at video. It's just how they are.
Having said that, I too am curious to see your footage

Meanwhile, compare yours to some 645Z samples found on YouTube

Pentax 645Z - Pentax HD PENTAX-DA645 28-45mm f/4.5 ED AW SR Lens video test - YouTube

Pentax 645z FullHD Video ISO3200 - YouTube

---------- Post added 01-27-16 at 08:28 AM ----------

Oh yes, that isn't good at all. It's like there's a problem with the IBIS mechanism.
A problem such as the 645z lacking ibis?
01-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sefesoft Quote
Ok, I have an idea of what could be happening, I think the problem is you used 1080p at 60i, meaning that the video is interlaced, as I know, the 645z doesn't produce 60p at 1080p, only at 720p. You can try taking some clips with different frame rates with non interlaced video just to be shure.
Hmmm thats interesting - I considered it being similar to interlacing. I will try deinterlacing a clip now and see if that makes a difference. Maybe downsizing to 720p...
Failing that I'll do a test at HD instead of full HD...

I mean...it really shouldn't allow you to shoot footage with settings it can't handle..!
01-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
Ole
Administrator

1080 video is a mere 2MP, so don't expect detail nowhere near a 50MP still image from the Z.
01-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
A problem such as the 645z lacking ibis?
OOps.. I assumed...
01-27-2016, 02:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I just wanted to ask - am I missing a trick here? Do I need to conform to some different format? It can't be this bad.
I'm afraid that the video on the 645Z is literally just there to enable live view. LV's a killer feature on it's own, which is why I couldn't wait to switch from the D, but I don't care about actually recording video on this camera in the slightest and I wouldn't surprised if most people never used it either.
01-27-2016, 04:02 AM   #15

645z video: utter utter fail. It's all over the reviews that came out when it launched. The camerastore did a whole piece on it