Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 07:02 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I think you will be fine Mike, the DFA35 tested well at Diglloyd and smoked the 28-45 zoom for even-ness across the frame, better contrast at apertures 3.5 to f9 and sharper out to the edges. He classed it as the best lens for the Pentax 645 system, along with the DFA 90mm.
[waits by mailbox]

03-31-2016, 07:12 AM   #32
Forum Member

I think you will be fine Mike, the DFA35 tested well at Diglloyd and smoked the 28-45 zoom for even-ness across the frame, better contrast at apertures 3.5 to f9 and sharper out to the edges. He classed it as the best lens for the Pentax 645 system, along with the DFA 90mm.
I wonder how the DFA 35mm compares with the FA 35mm.
The FA 35mm is extremely sharp in the center.
04-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
all this excitement waiting for the images was just too much for me - I went ahead and ordered the new DFA 35. Anybody need a super sharp A35? I had better not hang onto both.
Can't wait to see your comparisons!
PM sent.
04-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #34

He classed it as the best lens for the Pentax 645 system, along with the DFA 90mm.
This conclusion I can not confirm. I have both of them; the DFA35 is an excellent lens but the DFA 90 plays on an other level. The 90mm is one of the best lenses I ever owned

QuoteOriginally posted by whwang Quote
I wonder how the DFA 35mm compares with the FA 35mm.
The FA 35mm is extremely sharp in the center.
On my blog I did some comparisons between the FA and the new DFA. Conclusion: The DFA is really better at open aperture and in the corners and has a nicer/rounder bokeh (depends on what aperture). All other features like CA, purple fringing, flare-sensitivity etc. show no considerable differences between the two lenses.

04-02-2016, 12:55 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
On my blog I did some comparisons between the FA and the new DFA. Conclusion: The DFA is really better at open aperture and in the corners and has a nicer/rounder bokeh (depends on what aperture). All other features like CA, purple fringing, flare-sensitivity etc. show no considerable differences between the two lenses.
Thanks. Then perhaps this means that the strong coma I see on the FA35 image corners is substantially reduced on the DFA35. I hope one day I will have the budget to upgrade.
04-02-2016, 01:26 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ristretto Quote
This conclusion I can not confirm. I have both of them; the DFA35 is an excellent lens but the DFA 90 plays on an other level. The 90mm is one of the best lenses I ever owned

I agree, the 90mm is a great lens, very sharp and well controlled, if not an odd focal length for the 645z crop. It probably plays on another level because its a tele macro and you can't really compare it to a wide angle.

I copied and pasted each paragraph of your review into google translate and it seems very thorough, well done. I could not find the review in english on your site.

From comparing the DFA 35 and the DA 28-45 on Diglloyd, I would say that at 35mm, the DFA 35 is the better lens. I have the 28-45 and am about to buy the DFA 35 is a lighter weight alternative for travel.
04-02-2016, 02:59 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Firstly, let me apologise for the continuing slowness here. I will not labour the excuses, but life has been extremely challenging of late and finding the time to do something as organised as this has been tricky.

Anyhow, the files are currently uploading to Mike's FTP, so hopefully you will finally hear something soon.

Ed

04-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #38

QuoteQuote:
thats odd, my dfa has pretty much zero CA - it was one of the first things I tested. My old A 35mm was crazy sharp but had massive CA in backlit shots so it was one of the first things I looked for.
04-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
thats odd, my dfa has pretty much zero CA - it was one of the first things I tested. My old A 35mm was crazy sharp but had massive CA in backlit shots so it was one of the first things I looked for.
That's great news Gavin. I believe it has far less field curvature in the mid field too.
04-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I just sold my A35 so there's no turning back. It sounds like a nice refresh!
04-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #41
Forum Member

Ed, thanks for following up with those test images, it will be interesting to see.

I've been thinking about the new version 35mm for some time now, and just may decide to splurge on it, although it is definitely not in the 'need' category. I have a superb copy of the Pentax A 35mm if anyone is interested. I can email you sample pics from my landscape work.

Cheers,
Ross
04-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #42
Pentaxian

[waits by mailbox]
oh, had i read my receipt close, i would know not to wait by the mailbox:
"This order is being shipped to you via - Preorder. This item is not yet available. We will notify you by email when it is ready to ship.
When your order ships, we will send you another email with additional details and tracking information."
So, what's up with that? They sold the first batch and are making more?
The waiting is the hardest part.
04-03-2016, 10:35 PM   #43
Forum Member

oh, had i read my receipt close, i would know not to wait by the mailbox:
"This order is being shipped to you via - Preorder. This item is not yet available. We will notify you by email when it is ready to ship.
When your order ships, we will send you another email with additional details and tracking information."
So, what's up with that? They sold the first batch and are making more?
The waiting is the hardest part.

Mike, where did you buy yours? B&H currently shows them in stock ready to ship out. I just placed my order for a used one they had in 10 condition. I'll have it tomorrow and am excited to test it.

Cheers,
Ross

Last edited by SeattleDucks; 04-03-2016 at 10:42 PM.
04-04-2016, 06:27 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SeattleDucks Quote
Mike, where did you buy yours? B&H currently shows them in stock ready to ship out. I just placed my order for a used one they had in 10 condition. I'll have it tomorrow and am excited to test it.

Cheers,
Ross
from the Ricoh Imaging USA fulfillment site.
04-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #45
oes

from the Ricoh Imaging USA fulfillment site.

Mike, same problem over here in the UK since early March. Their web site shows the lens as "currently not available" and it can't be pre-ordered. It looks like they shipped all their stock to the retail outlets. I ordered from Clifton's on the 31st and the lens arrived today.

Neil