Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2016, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Testing 35mm options

Michael and I are meeting up later today to shoot some test shots with the following lenses using my 645Z:
New DFA 35mm lens
DA 28-45mm (set to 35mm)
35mm A lens

At present, I am assuming shots of the Sydney Opera House at various apertures. Focusing will be done using live view, zoomed in to the max. If anyone has anything else in mind that should be included, please let us know.

Images will be posted here once I have had time to process them :-)

01-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking forward to your results. Flare resistance might be a good aspect to test.
01-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
At that time of day, shooting the Opera House from where we will be involves shooting away from the sun (which probably won't be out anyway!). Will see what we can do :-)
01-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Michael and I are meeting up later today to shoot some test shots with the following lenses using my 645Z:
New DFA 35mm lens
DA 28-45mm (set to 35mm)
35mm A lens

At present, I am assuming shots of the Sydney Opera House at various apertures. Focusing will be done using live view, zoomed in to the max. If anyone has anything else in mind that should be included, please let us know.

I am looking forward to the results too. Thanks for doing this.

01-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #5

New DFA 35mm lens
DA 28-45mm (set to 35mm)
35mm A lens

Hey Ed, observatory hill is a great test area for lenses - you get a whole different range of scenes and different light in a stack of different directions up there.
01-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, that's a good idea. I will suggest that when we get there. I don't have masses of time for the testing tonight, but a couple of set-ups from there should be fine :-)

Ed
01-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shots with foreground and infinity details in the one shot, focussed in the mid ground and focussed to suit the furtherest detail would be good. This will show field curvature, ie if its focussed at infinity and some detail closer to the front of the frame is in focus then we know we will have some field curvature at work.

Good luck!

01-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another good thought!

---------- Post added 01-28-16 at 01:10 PM ----------

I think, on reflection, I will end up putting the raw files online for people to upload rather than cutting out pieces etc. as the issues people want to look at are many and varied.
01-28-2016, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #9

Testing 35mm options

Photos taken. Ed will upload when he can.

First series has fence in foreground with Opera house.

Second series into the sun, with building.

Test shots not trying to be creative.

Last edited by TheDocAUS; 01-28-2016 at 12:47 AM.
01-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #10

I picked up the DFA 35 a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier, but I look forward to hearing your thoughts after testing.
01-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #11

Watching with excitement for the results. Assuming the new DFA is going to be a great lens. Also hoping it puts some A35s on the used market so I can help someone buy their DFA.
01-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will aim to upload the files over the weekend - probably to a dropbox folder so you can all download them. I won't be writing commentary or pasting close-ups on this page, as testing is not really my forte and I am somewhat swamped right now with other things. But hopefully getting your hands on the raw files will provide the info. required, and I am sure others here will share their conclusions and thoughts.

It was by no means an elaborate or highly controlled test. Simply put the camera on a tripod, focused as carefully as possible by eye using live view (zoomed all the way in) on a distant subject, then went through a sequence of frames at different aperatures. There are closer up details in the scene as well, so it should be possible to judge field curvature on the shots made with a wider aperature. The scene was quite bright, so focusing by eye was a little challenging, but I did my best.

Flare testing was a bit of an afterthought - simply a few extra frames taken looking at the sun beaming around a building.

All in all, hardly a science lab, but I hope it's of use to everyone :-)

Thanks to Michael for meeting up and being part of it.
01-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Just to say that the latest LR update for CC (and presumably for LR6 too) the DFA 35 is now on the database - I'd been using the FA before today...
02-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My apologies for the slow response to this guys. My son unexpectedly has had to have surgery (he's fine!) so my time and focus (no pun intended) have been elsewhere. Will get to this ASAP!

Ed
02-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

My apologies for the slow response to this guys. My son unexpectedly has had to have surgery (he's fine!) so my time and focus (no pun intended) have been elsewhere. Will get to this ASAP!

Ed

Looking forwarding to seeing your test images Ed. More importantly, hope all is well with your son!

Cheers,
Ross