Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

645D Sticky Mirror/Shutter going?

Hey all,

So I'm trying to figure out if the shutter on my beloved 645D is starting to go before I send it in. I bought this thing new in mid 2013, so it's 2.5 yrs old and I've only put about 16k actuations on it, so it seems it should still be fine for some time, but who knows. The images I shoot on it are still fine, but every exposure I shoot now sounds like the camera is shooting at 1/8 or 1/4 second or so - it seems the mirror is kinda sticky and it doesn't have that fluid, back to back clank that I'm used to, and for some portrait sessions this is a pretty noticeable hindrance as at times I really push the (already limited) buffer. It's more clank <pause> clank - even if I'm shooting at 1/500 or something. Is this the sign of a dying shutter? If so, any ideas on how much the repair costs and how long it takes? My friend had something wrong with his 645D (like a gap in the curtain that resulted in light leaked exposures) and they had to send it back to japan and it was gone for like 2 months - this would suck, but his was bought used so he said since he didn't buy it new Pentax US couldn't repair it, I don't know why or what was behind that. I bought mine new from BH.

I just would really prefer to not go without this thing for that long, there has to be US support right? As it is one of my main work tools. The site says PrecisionCamera - has anyone here used them?

B/G - I've been shooting professionally for close to 10 years now (mostly Nikon, Rollei and Contax) but believe it or not I've never had a shutter go on me, so I've always just sort of figured if and when it does happen I'll sort out what to do about it then, so I don't really know the signs of it happening.

This isn't super super pressing, as I still have my Nikon kit (which I want to sell eventually cuz it's mostly gathering dust now) and a Sony A7RII that can take care of the jobs I do, but my favorite way to shoot is to use the Pentax and Sony side by side as each has their strengths.

02-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bump - No one's had a shutter go on their 645D? Or has had a similar experience or insight?
02-08-2016, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #3

Search the forum and you'll find a number of comments from me and a couple of other folks on 645D shutter / mirror assembly failures. What you describe sounds familiar to me, and I'd say your camera will be heading for repair soon. It most likely will go to Japan since there's nowhere else that can make this level of repair as far as I know from past experience...
02-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I found bits here and there searching - but I haven't seen anyone posting about a sticking mirror. I found plenty on shutters going but not really any that sounded the same as what I'm experiencing.

Seems kinda crazy the shutter would go at 15-16k no?
I guess it's time to figure out a window of 3 months that I can do without...

02-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by petrakka Quote
Hey all,

So I'm trying to figure out if the shutter on my beloved 645D is starting to go before I send it in. I bought this thing new in mid 2013, so it's 2.5 yrs old and I've only put about 16k actuations on it, so it seems it should still be fine for some time, but who knows. The images I shoot on it are still fine, but every exposure I shoot now sounds like the camera is shooting at 1/8 or 1/4 second or so - it seems the mirror is kinda sticky and it doesn't have that fluid, back to back clank that I'm used to, and for some portrait sessions this is a pretty noticeable hindrance as at times I really push the (already limited) buffer. It's more clank <pause> clank - even if I'm shooting at 1/500 or something. Is this the sign of a dying shutter? If so, any ideas on how much the repair costs and how long it takes? My friend had something wrong with his 645D (like a gap in the curtain that resulted in light leaked exposures) and they had to send it back to japan and it was gone for like 2 months - this would suck, but his was bought used so he said since he didn't buy it new Pentax US couldn't repair it, I don't know why or what was behind that. I bought mine new from BH.

I just would really prefer to not go without this thing for that long, there has to be US support right? As it is one of my main work tools. The site says PrecisionCamera - has anyone here used them?

B/G - I've been shooting professionally for close to 10 years now (mostly Nikon, Rollei and Contax) but believe it or not I've never had a shutter go on me, so I've always just sort of figured if and when it does happen I'll sort out what to do about it then, so I don't really know the signs of it happening.

This isn't super super pressing, as I still have my Nikon kit (which I want to sell eventually cuz it's mostly gathering dust now) and a Sony A7RII that can take care of the jobs I do, but my favorite way to shoot is to use the Pentax and Sony side by side as each has their strengths.

my seem to do the same...sometimes it seems a slower clank....and if i pass fast the hand in front of the lens while i shot i see clearly there is a delay