Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this a good deal?

was poking around the "all of craigslist" search and ran across this kit listed at $900:
Pentax 6X7 Kit
  • Pentax 6x7 medium format camera body
  • SMC Pentax 90 2.8
  • SMC Pentax 300 4
  • SMC Pentax 75 4
  • SMC Pentax 45 4
  • SMC Pentax 165 2.8
  • SMC Pentax 200 4
  • Limited Edition case
  • grip, tons of filters, manual, ex battery
  • ALL in EXCELLENT condition

I've been wanting to play with a 67. It's considerably more than I planned to spend, but I was just thinking of getting a body and a single lens to try out. I'm assuming this is pretty much a complete kit aside from a flash, tripod, and the 40 extra pounds of muscle I'd need to carry all that around.

02-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That price seems awfully low.
02-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That's a good deal all right.... if everything works. All of the lenses listed are pretty cheap these days. I'm guessing he has a finder on the body.
02-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you able to get some quick snapshots of prices, just to check? I'm certainly not familiar with MF gear prices, but the two replies above suggest the answer is clearly "yes". Are you able to actually look at the gear? Does it look okay? Maybe try it out? Why is the person selling? My guidance to myself is to set a very clear buying objective and budget, and then strictly adhere to that. That has served me quite well over the years; however, it may result in missing some opportunities. Where does this deal land in your conscience? If the answer is "buy", then go for it; if "no", then stop; If "can't tell", then need to get some data to (quickly) get the conscience into "buy" or "no". Is $900 in the "worth a gamble" territory? In that case, its just funny money.

Last edited by GlennG; 02-05-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: More input
02-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep a good deal if things are as advertised. Body may need new seals as they are pretty old by now, also may be a non MLU model.

No big deal, best check it out.

Phil.
02-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #6

Ask user deadwolfbones to look it over for you!
02-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nowhere near me - I'm in Baltimore for work and the listing is in New Mexico.
Hard to make out from the photo but there's a prism with the logo on top of the body - I assume that means there's a finder?

I think my wife would strangle me if I spent that much. That's at least three round trip flights home to see her, or a short vacation somewhere together.

Maybe I can borrow or rent one from someone for a few days now that I'm in a more populous area, to get it out of my system, or give me solid photographic proof that I can justify the cost.

02-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I saw a Pentax 640 on Ebay, body only, for $70US just yesterday. I don't know anything about medium format cameras, but the posting didn't say there was anything wrong with it.
02-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never buy from craigslist unless you are local. Exception = if you have a friend nearby to check it or if you care nothing about the risk and can afford to lose the money.

Reach out to the person and ask him to put it up for sale on eBay if you are convinced - otherwise leave it alone.
02-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is suspiciously too good to be legit. I'd contact your local police to see if you can find out of any reported cameras under that description. All of that under excellent condition is a "steal". I would definitely ask for any proof of ownership (receipts, photos taken with the camera, etc.) and take someone with you that can spot problems like defective light meter, bad light seals or reflex mirror foam dampener, damaged focal plane curtains, broken film advance gears, lens fungus or broken lens aperture spring, etc.
02-06-2016, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Since you are currently working here in Baltimore, touch base with the Baltimore Camera Club http://www.baltimorecameraclub.org

They meet every Thursday evening at 8:00 pm and non-members are welcome. Richard Eskin is the current club president - his email address is richard.eskin@gmail.com he may be able to help or recommend someone who could help you.

Jay
02-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #12

Uh, guys?

The camera's in New Mexico.
02-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The seller is in Santa Fe which is an artsy community with a number of photo galleries. I would guess that the seller had used the system professionally to some extent. The camera has an Asahi TTL prism (finder).
02-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Craigslist, for a good reason, discourages users from buying out of your region. But with that said, Santa Fe has been a hot bed for artists and photographers for a long time and the high and dry desert air is awesome for preserving lenses and cameras. If you're not in the mood for a trip to Santa Fe, I'd recommend the OP to pay a local camera store to do you the service of verifying the condition of the system.

IF it isn't already sold, the seller (by listing it for $900) is either desperate for cash or doesn't want the hassle of selling the system piece-meal...and would only refuse to comply to getting it checked out if they had something to hide. I love my 645, but was always envious of the 67 with nearly double the neg size. Good luck!!!
02-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Craigslist, for a good reason, discourages users from buying out of your region. But with that said, Santa Fe has been a hot bed for artists and photographers for a long time and the high and dry desert air is awesome for preserving lenses and cameras. If you're not in the mood for a trip to Santa Fe, I'd recommend the OP to pay a local camera store to do you the service of verifying the condition of the system.

IF it isn't already sold, the seller (by listing it for $900) is either desperate for cash or doesn't want the hassle of selling the system piece-meal...and would only refuse to comply to getting it checked out if they had something to hide. I love my 645, but was always envious of the 67 with nearly double the neg size. Good luck!!!
This is a great idea, the store might even act as escrow agent for a fee.