Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 11
Vertical portraits on Pentax 67, missing critical focus on eyes...any advice?

I am shooting mostly vertical portraits with the 105mm at f/2.4 and it's quite difficult to snap the eyes into focus when there isn't a bright catchlight in the eye or the subject is a bit further away. I also like to take real close-up portraits with it. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks on landing the focus wide open right on the eyes of a subject while holding the camera vertically. I was looking into the Pentax 67 magnifier that flips on and off but read that only zooms in on the center? I don't put the eyes on the center so this is a big issue...

02-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
tlp
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 64
that is why you crop
02-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tlp Quote
that is why you crop
...no, just no.
02-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,182
You may want to volunteer what finder and focus screen you are using. I am not sure what difference vertical vs. horizontal means in this context.


Steve

02-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,121
QuoteOriginally posted by moodlover Quote
I am shooting mostly vertical portraits with the 105mm at f/2.4 and it's quite difficult to snap the eyes into focus when there isn't a bright catchlight in the eye or the subject is a bit further away. I also like to take real close-up portraits with it. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks on landing the focus wide open right on the eyes of a subject while holding the camera vertically. I was looking into the Pentax 67 magnifier that flips on and off but read that only zooms in on the center? I don't put the eyes on the center so this is a big issue...
You're going to have to use some form of hyperfocal focusing to create an in focus zone for what you want to be sharp.

This would be easier if you had the 67ii, which has a slew of user changeable focusing screens to make life easier.

Phil.
02-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You may want to volunteer what finder and focus screen you are using. I am not sure what difference vertical vs. horizontal means in this context.
Sorry about that, I am using the TTL pentaprism and my Pentax 67 has a small circle in the middle of the ground glass that contains a split screen (useful for central composition but not good for portraits). Vertical just means portrait orientation, holding the camera vertically.
02-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,929
One solution that's worked for me is the folding hood. It has a magnifying glass. You can see the micro prisms much better and those are what you use to focus with. The folding hood is doable in portrait orientation on a tripod.

Some examples of using the folding hood and aging eyesight showing it can at least do this much:







02-11-2016, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Member
richmondthefish's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 217
^^^Nice focused shots. Out of focus eyes are way too common when I view 67 scans at large sizes

02-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,929
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
^^^Nice focused shots. Out of focus eyes are way too common when I view 67 scans at large sizes
Why thanks. The dog was a handhold shot too.
02-14-2016, 05:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
lenticular's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 174
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
^^^Nice focused shots. Out of focus eyes are way too common when I view 67 scans at large sizes
Yes, I've just experienced this recently ( as a P6x7 newbie):

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, center, eyes, focus, medium format, pentax, portraits, portraits on pentax, subject
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any way to adjust focus on K-50? keanex Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 01-07-2016 02:40 PM
Desperately seeking advice on a SLEW of Pentax 67 issues paperc Pentax Medium Format 7 06-30-2015 07:15 PM
Any advice on Pentax K-5 lens? ohho22 Pentax K-5 11 01-05-2013 05:45 PM
Any news on Built-in GPS on any of Pentax's Cameras nstocke Pentax News and Rumors 13 04-25-2010 03:41 AM
Processing B& W film - anything I'm missing out on - any tips? oinkely Pentax Film SLR Discussion 31 03-05-2010 06:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top