Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Vertical portraits on Pentax 67, missing critical focus on eyes...any advice?

I am shooting mostly vertical portraits with the 105mm at f/2.4 and it's quite difficult to snap the eyes into focus when there isn't a bright catchlight in the eye or the subject is a bit further away. I also like to take real close-up portraits with it. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks on landing the focus wide open right on the eyes of a subject while holding the camera vertically. I was looking into the Pentax 67 magnifier that flips on and off but read that only zooms in on the center? I don't put the eyes on the center so this is a big issue...

02-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
tlp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that is why you crop
02-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tlp Quote
that is why you crop
...no, just no.
02-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may want to volunteer what finder and focus screen you are using. I am not sure what difference vertical vs. horizontal means in this context.

Steve

02-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moodlover Quote
I am shooting mostly vertical portraits with the 105mm at f/2.4 and it's quite difficult to snap the eyes into focus when there isn't a bright catchlight in the eye or the subject is a bit further away. I also like to take real close-up portraits with it. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks on landing the focus wide open right on the eyes of a subject while holding the camera vertically. I was looking into the Pentax 67 magnifier that flips on and off but read that only zooms in on the center? I don't put the eyes on the center so this is a big issue...
You're going to have to use some form of hyperfocal focusing to create an in focus zone for what you want to be sharp.

This would be easier if you had the 67ii, which has a slew of user changeable focusing screens to make life easier.

Phil.
02-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You may want to volunteer what finder and focus screen you are using. I am not sure what difference vertical vs. horizontal means in this context.
Sorry about that, I am using the TTL pentaprism and my Pentax 67 has a small circle in the middle of the ground glass that contains a split screen (useful for central composition but not good for portraits). Vertical just means portrait orientation, holding the camera vertically.
02-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

One solution that's worked for me is the folding hood. It has a magnifying glass. You can see the micro prisms much better and those are what you use to focus with. The folding hood is doable in portrait orientation on a tripod.

Some examples of using the folding hood and aging eyesight showing it can at least do this much:

02-11-2016, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #8

^^^Nice focused shots. Out of focus eyes are way too common when I view 67 scans at large sizes
02-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
^^^Nice focused shots. Out of focus eyes are way too common when I view 67 scans at large sizes
Why thanks. The dog was a handhold shot too.
02-14-2016, 05:15 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Yes, I've just experienced this recently ( as a P6x7 newbie):