Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
What if the K-1 comes with an adaptor which communicates with your 645 lenses Luke?
I'd still only have a 35mm sensor

---------- Post added 02-15-2016 at 12:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LA_Photographer Quote
Have you looked into eBay to stretch your lens dollar? I picked up most of my lenses from shops in Japan (all in great condition) for less than half (generally around a third) of what they would cost new. At this point I have the new 35 DFA (not and eBay purchase), an old 45 A, the 55 DFA, a 75 FA (seriously love that lens), a 105 A (picked up with the 45 on a lark from a small used camera shop), the 120 FA macro and the 80-160 FA that you're looking at. The 80-160 is my go to studio lens, but the 35 and 75 split time everywhere else.
How are the older lenses (A series) on the 645z vs the 645d? Are the viable to be used professionally?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Two quirks I want to throw out is that the 150 also has a lot of green/magenta fringing wide-open, and it doesn't handle direct/back-light very well, so it pays to keep the lens well-shaded. Probably not a big surprise, since this is a trait of many portrait lenses.

Really always a good idea to buy the lenses used. I bought the camera new at B&H just as it came out, but three lenses I got for $2600 from a friend, I paid him based on the average eBay prices for those lenses as they were at the time. In all I spent about $11k including extras.

I don't plan on shooting much wide open. Even right now I sit around 5.6-10 a very large amount of the time, rarely drop to f4 or lower if I don't have to. So fringing is much less of an issue for me than most I think because of my shooting style.

I'll keep my eye on the used market. Maybe grabbing that 80-160 for my film body early won't be a bad thing!

02-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #17
Forum Member

I use a 645D for portraiture - mostly magazine work.

I don't have any of the newer lenses that came out for the digital 645 (yet, at least).

I use the old manual focus 55mm 2.8, then the 645 AF versions of the 45, 75 and 150mm 2.8's. Also have the 67 105mm 2.4 with a converter. The 67 lens is the softest, but still has a nice look wide open for certain portraits. The 150, I love it. It's a big old thing but it's very nice for portrait work. Even the old 55 manual focus lens is quite solid. The 75 is great for portraits as well. You'll find the 75mm closer to a fifty in real life use. It's a little longer but also great for portraits.The 55 feels a little wider than 43 mm because of the 645 format. I'll use that really when the portraits are full environmental. Otherwise stick with the 75, 105, 150. The 45mm AF lens I only use when necessary as I usually don't like going that wide, but it's not bad, not great either, more distortion that I'm into.

You'll be fine using older lenses. The sync speed has sometimes sorta sucked but has never really been that big a deal, I can live with it just fine. I use on camera flash and one / 2 light set ups in environmental work outdoors and indoors - all my portraits are location work. Get a little more power in your strobes, stop down a little more if you need to kill ambient that much more.
02-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
After doing some research and sitting back and looking at my current gear situation I'm putting 90% of my purchases on indefinite hold and will focus on going medium format this time next year.
Just curious, any thought about buying the 645D instead?
02-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
If you shoot product, landscape, still life, portrait or architectural photography, this is an excellent camera to get into medium format photography at a very reasonable price.

02-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

If your going to be in a studio with strobes, I'd also stock a larger film format than 6x4.5 because they are cheap enough and I can't recall using any fancy/auto features of a medium format camera in my studio shots beyond shutter speed and aperture. I have a digital camera for a "Polaroid" preview of the light and metering. And when it comes to scanning film, bigger can be better. Anyway, that is my experience shoot my medium format gear in a studio situation. YMMV.
02-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
no, just the 645z

I thought about the D at first, but the iso200 is an immediate deal breaker with that abysmal flash sync speed. Hard to kill ambient light when your limits are iso200 and 1/125".
02-18-2016, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

no, just the 645z

I thought about the D at first, but the iso200 is an immediate deal breaker with that abysmal flash sync speed. Hard to kill ambient light when your limits are iso200 and 1/125".
You can activate an ISO100 mode, and the DR is measured to be about the same as its native 200, so for a "pull" sensitivity it's actually usable.
02-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If your going to be in a studio with strobes, I'd also stock a larger film format than 6x4.5 because they are cheap enough and I can't recall using any fancy/auto features of a medium format camera in my studio shots beyond shutter speed and aperture. I have a digital camera for a "Polaroid" preview of the light and metering. And when it comes to scanning film, bigger can be better. Anyway, that is my experience shoot my medium format gear in a studio situation. YMMV.

I'd say not really - at least not from a resolving power/print quality standpoint. It's pretty much game over for most uses and has been since the D800 hit the market. Unless you have a specific use for the film - i.e. the depth of field of the larger format, you like the color, grain structure etc (all great reasons I still keep my film cameras around) you're not getting a sharper print from film anymore. I've used the best (11000 dpi) drum scanners that have been made with larger formats and have talked at length with the best printers in the industry about this. When you start hitting 35-50 mp (and it is a good, sharp, low iso photo) you're generally going to get an equal to or more likely sharper print than you would even 6x9 and even 4x5 in many instances.

I <3 film, but unless you want to add an increasingly painful and expensive process to your workflow (see shops who can process/scan your film mostly dead and dying) and/or you very much like the visual characteristics of it (which is silly to argue that resolution/sharpness is part of it anymore) then yea, the camera is cheaper up front, but if you're going to use it in any real way for real and sustained work it usually end up quite expensive and, well, not better - just different.

02-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by petrakka Quote
I'd say not really - at least not from a resolving power/print quality standpoint. It's pretty much game over for most uses and has been since the D800 hit the market....
I have a D810 and the OP's question was not about digital it was about medium format film and studio strobes.

There are some things I can do in single exposures with BW film I can't with digital. I can compress the hell out of highlights by way over exposing and under developing way beyond what average developing does and get more DR than my D810 plus it's real BW which is fun. And and my Fuji GSW690III competes with my D810 as close as the two different mediums can when it comes to a good image.

Last edited by tuco; 02-18-2016 at 03:55 PM.
02-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I have a D810 and the OP's question was not about digital it was about medium format film and studio strobes.

There are some things I can do in single exposures with BW film I can't with digital. I can compress the hell out of highlights by way over exposing and under developing way beyond what average developing does and get more DR than my D810 plus it's real BW which is fun. And and my Fuji GSW690III competes with my D810 as close as the two different mediums can when it comes to a good image.
um... no I'm looking at a digital 645, not a film one. I have a film one.
02-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #26
Pentaxian

um... no I'm looking at a digital 645, not a film one. I have a film one.
Your post reads like you said you were going to start doing MF film in the studio. Sorry about that.

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 16:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by petrakka Quote
I'd say not really - at least not from a resolving power/print quality standpoint.
My bad. I didn't read the OP's post correctly. I thought he was going to use 645 film.