Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Um...guys...can I have my thread back?

02-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Um...guys...can I have my thread back?
right? It was a better thread when we were talking about tripod heads. lol.
02-22-2016, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Agreed!
02-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Not really, I did check out the 410 when I was looking around for geared tripod heads in 2010...it will be fine for 35mm DSLRs with lenses under 200mm, but for medium format: it didn't make the grade.
Hmmmm....I'm not having any issues with mine. Don't have the 28-45, but I do have the 45-80 and the 80-160. Zero problems with either. The only issues are that it has that dumb Manfrotto plate, it's heavy on some carbon fiber tripods (especially travel ones), and positions the camera off-center (this can be corrected...)

And I am not seeing any appreciable (or any at all, really..) "creep" from my Acratech Ultimate.

02-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 410 gets widely different reviews re stability. Some large format (4x5) shooters swear by it. I have one and I don't think the stability is all that great. Maybe it's just a product with significant sample variation, or maybe some people are a lot pickier than others.
02-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
The 410 gets widely different reviews re stability. Some large format (4x5) shooters swear by it. I have one and I don't think the stability is all that great. Maybe it's just a product with significant sample variation, or maybe some people are a lot pickier than others.
Well, I know that off the tripod, if I set it I can't move it (without using the knobs, that is). Never had an issue with it on the tripod, either. Go figure. I think it may be sample variation. There was a guy who used to be active on DPR who was very picky, and he used it without complaint, except for the off-centered-ness.
In fact, he used to recommend it.
02-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #52

I'm using a RRS smaller ball head. My largest load is the Z plus the 67 300* tele with the adapter. I'm getting a lot of creep with this setup.

Questions:
Is the accra plate, being smaller than the Manfrotto adequate for a big load?

Is the cheaper large Benro ball head good enough for what I do?

Is a gear head better all around? I like the ease of adjustment with a ball head.

02-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it's just a product with significant sample variation, or maybe some people are a lot pickier than others.
It's a geared tripod head, how the hell could it have sample variation? I think the tripod legs also account for stability reviews. I too know some users of the 410MG, and a lot of them are using very, heavy tripod legs. I prefer the 405 because the quick set rings are easier to disengage the size and grip on the gear dials makes the head a pleasure to work with. If I have any improvements to suggest to manfrotto: I would suggest they put an Arca QR platform on the 405 - they would sell a lot more of them if they did.

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I am not seeing any appreciable (or any at all, really..) "creep" from my Acratech Ultimate.
Try it with a FA 645 400mm f/5.6 or the FA 645 120mm f/4 macro at 1:1 - those two lenses bring out the worst in any tripod setup.

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
s a gear head better all around? I like the ease of adjustment with a ball head.
To be frank: Ball heads are a bit of a liability when you are working with really heavy equipment. Sure they are convenient and quick but all the speed in the world won't mean squat if the horizon you so painstakingly aligned in the VF gets skewed the instant lock it down. With geared tripod heads, they only move on the axis that you want them to. Think of a geared head as a beefed up 3 way tripod head, albeit they are in their default state locked down.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-22-2016 at 08:21 PM.
02-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #54
Pentaxian

definitely no creep in my Manfrotto 329 RC4 3-way, so i appreciate that. However, on one of the axes, i have noted that over tightening the knob can change the angle ever so slightly (noticeable on long tele and macro setup), so i have found the sweet spot where it holds firm but without locking it too hard.

Those with the large high end ball heads, are you experiencing any creep or sag with your heavy and long lenses?

Last edited by mikeSF; 02-23-2016 at 02:10 PM.
02-22-2016, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #55

I use a wooden Berlebach Report 8023 tripod with a Graf Studio Ball head. I use this combination for the 645z and with the 28-45 is rock steady with no creep. I am not surprised as I use this tripod/head combination for both my 4x5 and 5x7 field cameras.

Last edited by MikeKPhoto; 02-23-2016 at 06:17 AM.
02-23-2016, 06:09 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It's a geared tripod head, how the hell could it have sample variation?
Not knowing how the thing is made, I have no idea. I just know that mine isn't rock solid. All three axes have some play in them; it's not the tripod that's the problem.
02-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All three axes have some play in them; it's not the tripod that's the problem.
Ok...i'm sorry to hear that. But my 405 has taken a beating over the years without any slop or play in its mechanism. All I can say is that the gearing mechanism of the 410 might not be quite as robust as the 405.

For the record: I shoot the Leica S2, Pentax 645D/Z , Ebony 4x5 5X7 and 8X10 cameras.
02-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I the only one using a RC2-based head with a 645 system here? I have a 498RC2 and I know it's on the light side but it seems to do ok.
Using the 67 300/4 + adapter sags a little after tightening it down but I'm pretty good at anticipating the amount of sag and compensating for it.

I'll probably get a bigger/better head at some point but this doesn't seem totally flimsy or a like it would drop the camera, especially with the lenses I use most of the time (A35, FA45-85, FA80-160, A200).

The RC2 plates see more than adequate too. I like having the same plates across systems for easy mix-n-matching gear.