Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 03:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kbialous Quote
I guess my biggest worry is that the camera is a couple years old now, and wondering as to whether it's a wise purchase at this point in time. so there's a bit of worry there as I don't like to waste time buying and selling gear all the time. I don't have an opportunity to rent one. I still shoot a lot of mf film, and so good digi files are paramount to me.

It's more of an internal struggle/questions than I can verbalize. I'm more here to listen and read about some experiences to inform my own decision.

thx
As has been touched upon, medium format cameras have a much longer product cycle then regular cameras, on the order of 4-5 years between bodies. While the Z is coming up on 2 years now, it's still a cutting-edge camera that's not likely to be displaced by another product any time soon - certainly not at this price point.

Even if something a bit better does come along, you have to consider whether you actually need more than what you already have. The Z has pretty much killed all interest I ever had in cameras as objects of desire, since there's really nowhere up to go from here, assuming it meets your needs. Piles of resolution, DR so high you get single-shot HDR photos, insanely clean high-ISO, all the modern features you could want, etc. The Pentax system doesn't have leaf shutters or work like a tech cam, but if you needed those features then you probably already know what you need.

I'm not even really sure if I'd want a larger sensor in this type of camera, I would sooner like to see Pentax work more on optimizing future bodies and lenses around this sensor size, rather then just going big for the sake of it. Existing lenses are having a hard time keeping up with the Z's sensor, and they're already using the "sweet-spot" due to the crop-factor, a bigger sensor would just add more of the less-desirable parts of the imaging circle into the mix. On the other hand, optimizing for 33x44 means lenses with longer zoom ranges, wider apertures, and sharper images.

The 645Z with 28-45mm zoom has been compared favorably to an 80mp Phase One camera with a new 35mm prime lens over on another forum, so keep this in mind, at the top you have to spend 2-3x as much for the last 5% of image quality while sometimes sacrificing usability. The sensor in this camera is still nearly the best in existence, the Phase IQ3100 beat it out just recently, but you'd have to shell out $40k+ for it.

Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 02-17-2016 at 03:28 AM.
02-17-2016, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i used to want a new car (or used car) every 3 or 4 years, but my current car is 10 yrs old and i still enjoy it so much, i have no thoughts of trading it in unless something goes terribly wrong. It does what I expect it to do and is incredibly fun to drive, so I don't care that it does not have wi-fi, etc...
02-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
As has been touched upon, medium format cameras have a much longer product cycle then regular cameras, on the order of 4-5 years between bodies. While the Z is coming up on 2 years now, it's still a cutting-edge camera that's not likely to be displaced by another product any time soon - certainly not at this price point.
Precisely

QuoteQuote:
Even if something a bit better does come along, you have to consider whether you actually need more than what you already have. The Z has pretty much killed all interest I ever had in cameras as objects of desire,
Well, now, I wouldn't go that far....
QuoteQuote:
since there's really nowhere up to go from here, assuming it meets your needs. Piles of resolution, DR so high you get single-shot HDR photos, insanely clean high-ISO, all the modern features you could want, etc.
And it has indeed presented me with a unique problem. It's not the gear that's the problem, it's me.....

QuoteQuote:
I'm not even really sure if I'd want a larger sensor in this type of camera, I would sooner like to see Pentax work more on optimizing future bodies and lenses around this sensor size, rather then just going big for the sake of it. Existing lenses are having a hard time keeping up with the Z's sensor, and they're already using the "sweet-spot" due to the crop-factor, a bigger sensor would just add more of the less-desirable parts of the imaging circle into the mix. On the other hand, optimizing for 33x44 means lenses with longer zoom ranges, wider apertures, and sharper images.
You have a good point, here. I'll add that with the Z, if you need to do mosaics/stitches, you have so many fewer individual shots you have to do, probably 1/3 to 1/2 the number. That's helpful.

QuoteQuote:
The 645Z with 28-45mm zoom has been compared favorably to an 80mp Phase One camera with a new 35mm prime lens over on another forum, so keep this in mind, at the top you have to spend 2-3x as much for the last 5% of image quality while sometimes sacrificing usability. The sensor in this camera is still nearly the best in existence, the Phase IQ3100 beat it out just recently, but you'd have to shell out $40k+ for it.
Yup. And glad to hear that the Z keeps up, under certain conditions, with an 80mp Phase. I hadn't seen that.
02-18-2016, 03:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, now, I wouldn't go that far.... And it has indeed presented me with a unique problem. It's not the gear that's the problem, it's me.....
Oh, don't get me wrong, given an unlimited budget I'd also love to own a Leica S007 for that beautiful glass, as well as a Cambo with the Rodie 32mm and Phase back... But I also know that what I have now got me 95% of the way there and I'm finally content.

02-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #20

Welcone kbialous.

I sold my SWC and 503cw using the P45+ back and have never looked back. I was shooting with a friend in a torrential downpour (he still jused the same setup I sold) and he had BIG connection problems in that rain storm. For me that shoot alone was worth having the Z. It did not fail me. If you want MF, why look elsewhere.

As for the next Pentax 645, at this point in time having larger or 100MP files just seems overkill for my needs, so the Z could last me a long time.
02-24-2016, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I bought a 645D a few months ago to test the digital MF waters and I love it. I primarily use it for landscapes and portraits and I'm very pleased with the results. The interface is slow and I can't go very high ISO with it but neither of those two things are all that important and I can cover those needs with a different system. I was shooting with an original 645 before so it's still faster and more flexible than that camera.
02-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I bought a 645D a few months ago to test the digital MF waters and I love it. I primarily use it for landscapes and portraits and I'm very pleased with the results. The interface is slow and I can't go very high ISO with it but neither of those two things are all that important and I can cover those needs with a different system. I was shooting with an original 645 before so it's still faster and more flexible than that camera.
And I'd add that you are getting great results. Kudos.
02-25-2016, 02:57 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely! +1

I also have a 645D and love it.

Yes, the 645D is slow but it can produce great results within the known limitations (and benefits) of CCD sensors.

I seem to be having some trouble consistently nailing focus with a recently- acquired A35. It's a nuisance as I am currently back in the UK (N Ireland) where my parents live and I have lost a few shots in recent days with this issue.

02-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lenticular Quote
Absolutely! +1

I also have a 645D and love it.

Yes, the 645D is slow but it can produce great results within the known limitations (and benefits) of CCD sensors.

I seem to be having some trouble consistently nailing focus with a recently- acquired A35. It's a nuisance as I am currently back in the UK (N Ireland) where my parents live and I have lost a few shots in recent days with this issue.
Thanks!

lenticular, are you shooting wide open? I'm usually stopped down when shooting with that lens so the DOF is huge. This is one area where the Live View of the Z would come in handy.
02-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Thanks!

lenticular, are you shooting wide open? I'm usually stopped down when shooting with that lens so the DOF is huge. This is one area where the Live View of the Z would come in handy.
No Matt I am not. I first shot with the lens back home I Australia and loved it right away. I've just had a number of instances in the last few days where the camera has said it's in focus (red dot and beep) and I've found it not so. I agree that the Z would be good for live-view!

I try unless light-limited to shoot around the optimum aperture as well, so it's been frustrating but is no doubt operator-error!
02-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lenticular Quote
No Matt I am not. I first shot with the lens back home I Australia and loved it right away. I've just had a number of instances in the last few days where the camera has said it's in focus (red dot and beep) and I've found it not so. I agree that the Z would be good for live-view!

I try unless light-limited to shoot around the optimum aperture as well, so it's been frustrating but is no doubt operator-error!
I wouldn't be so quick to deem it operator error if you have been getting good results in the past, I have a friend who's 645D just went in for shutter repair and came back with a messed up AF. My own 645D is starting to get quirky, I am starting to wonder about the durability of these things, despite the fact that Pentax's rep as a workhorse is one reason I found the 645D an appealing buy for my work...
02-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #27

The 645Z has not been out for "several years". It was released in April 2015, not even a year ago. And it's an AWESOME camera! My files are incredible, especially with the 28-45mm zoom. The biggest issue is with lenses. Some are excellent, some are a piece of crap.
02-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Not necessarily operator error. You might need some type of calibration performed.
02-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tar4heel2 Quote
The biggest issue is with lenses. Some are excellent, some are a piece of crap.
That could certainly apply to any brand.
03-01-2016, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by tar4heel2 Quote
The 645Z has not been out for "several years". It was released in April 2015, not even a year ago. And it's an AWESOME camera! My files are incredible, especially with the 28-45mm zoom. The biggest issue is with lenses. Some are excellent, some are a piece of crap.

Are you sure about that ? I bought mine in july 2014, and I am quite sure it is not a fake one...