Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #1

Hello! New to these... interested in 645z

Hi, I'm new to these forums.

I always hesitate to use forums, but I joined to learn something about the 645z which I'm interested in.

Thanks for all the info you guys provide.

02-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here!
02-15-2016, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome. Did you already buy the 645Z and looking for tips, or are you considering purchase of the 645z? You'll find good info here on PentaxForums.

I always enjoy the results that user @MikeSF gets from his 645Z. His portfolio website is Mike Oria Photography
02-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Welcome. Did you already buy the 645Z and looking for tips, or are you considering purchase of the 645z? You'll find good info here on PentaxForums.

I always enjoy the results that user @MikeSF gets from his 645Z. His portfolio website is Mike Oria Photography
thanks!

02-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
thanks very much and welcome. There are dozens of great shooters using the 645 series bodies in here, so definitely check 'em all out.
A few good links to 3rd party reviews as well as a very comprehensive Pentax Forums review of the 645Z.
02-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #6

I've had mine since April. Anything in particular that you'd like to know?
02-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
I guess my biggest worry is that the camera is a couple years old now, and wondering as to whether it's a wise purchase at this point in time. so there's a bit of worry there as I don't like to waste time buying and selling gear all the time. I don't have an opportunity to rent one. I still shoot a lot of mf film, and so good digi files are paramount to me.

It's more of an internal struggle/questions than I can verbalize. I'm more here to listen and read about some experiences to inform my own decision.

thx
02-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kbialous Quote
I guess my biggest worry is that the camera is a couple years old now, and wondering as to whether it's a wise purchase at this point in time. so there's a bit of worry there as I don't like to waste time buying and selling gear all the time. I don't have an opportunity to rent one. I still shoot a lot of mf film, and so good digi files are paramount to me.

It's more of an internal struggle/questions than I can verbalize. I'm more here to listen and read about some experiences to inform my own decision.

thx
The product cycle for medium format cameras is far longer than for consumer bodies. The 645Z is still current in its specifications / capabilities, and an unbeatable value IMO at the now-reduced selling price of $6999. (it was launched for $8499)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-15-2016, 11:12 PM   #9

As Adam stated, the product cycle is a bit longer in this format. Yes, there are some new sensors coming out (that 100MP Sony beast!), but I would be shocked if the 645z gets an update in the next two years. Heck, even if it does, that doesn't mean the camera will be obsolete. How many people do you know still shoot with Canon 5d Mk2's? If you're worried about the upgrade cycle, you'll never buy anything. I'd say buy the camera and start shooting. The files are unbelievable and you won't be disappointed.
02-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LA_Photographer Quote
As Adam stated, the product cycle is a bit longer in this format. Yes, there are some new sensors coming out (that 100MP Sony beast!), but I would be shocked if the 645z gets an update in the next two years. Heck, even if it does, that doesn't mean the camera will be obsolete. How many people do you know still shoot with Canon 5d Mk2's? If you're worried about the upgrade cycle, you'll never buy anything. I'd say buy the camera and start shooting. The files are unbelievable and you won't be disappointed.
how many people are still shooting with Pentax 645Ds and are happy with them?
02-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
Forum Member

Me. Still shooting a 645D and happy.

I might get the next iteration of the 645 digital, whenever that comes about in a few years, but the way MF is used, I have a pretty killer 40 mp sensor that is very nice at lower ISO's and I use it like I would a film body, but it is still more nimble. Really don't have any complaints. I think it's all about using within it's limits. If you're coming from film, the 645D is still a lot more open to possibilities than a MF film camera.

When I need low light or really fast camera I use small format cameras (Nikon but now increasingly the Sony a7RII), just as I always have.
02-16-2016, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The vast majority of my work has been with the 645D, album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeoria/albums/72157634024430057

I just switched to the 645Z and have only 2,000 shutter clicks to date: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeoria/sets/72157662123860041
02-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kbialous Quote

thx
I think it's a sound purchase. The Z is a beast.

If Pentax bring out a 100mp monster, I don't think it would replace the Z.
02-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased my P645D second-hand and also reduced the cost through trading the seller two lenses. To be honest I regarded the purchase as a tentative trial and thought I would probably sell it on, however not so!

Despite it going against my trend of downsizing camera equipment (other than delving into MF film), the IQ and the interface design were enough to make me value it very quickly.

Ultimately I would like to buy a P645Z (also 2nd hand) but I cannot justify that at present. I echo petrakka's comments about the 645D

Edited to reflect Gyroscope's last point below: a medium format DSLR will never replace the practicality of a smaller camera(s) for genres other than landscape. I greatly enjoy shooting rangefinders and although I sold off my Canon 5D3 due to it being used only for amateur shooting of world-class motorcycle sport twice-yearly, I still need a cheaper alternative (7D) for the same purpose. Part of my downsizing DSLRs was after I bought a Sony A7R.

For me the 40mp CCD sensor in the P645D surpasses some aspects of what I get from the 36mp CMOS sensor in the 7R (Mk I). Of course the 50mp(?) 645Z CMOS sensor is a great step up, however the 645D delivers for me in the landscape arena.

Last edited by lenticular; 02-17-2016 at 04:29 AM.
02-16-2016, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

I don't know what you intend to shoot with it if you get it but I use mine for landscape photography and I tell you the fact it is a couple of years old is irrelevant. I intend to be using mine for many years to come. I have done my own review of it you can read but there a quite a few others.

Pentax 645z: The best landscape camera in the world? ? Morden O'Hare | Photography

Also google Ming Thien for his great reviews.

I think you may need to be more specific about what you intend on doing with it. I would advise though that you don't consider it to be a do-everything camera. It should be purchased for a specific purpose and be used alongside other camera gear that is better for other purposes. I still have all my canon gear which I use for general purpose shooting and wildlife.