Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 12:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

So much for the new FF and MF lenses

So certain people kept on promising "just you wait" until the new FF camera comes out, it will be the perfect companion to your 645 lenses.

Guess what.........I see nothing, not a peep about it being compatible. No new adapter, no DA/DFA lens adapter.

I am happy to be corrected if I missed something, but I am bitterly disappointed to be honest.

02-18-2016, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The story may not have reached its conclusion yet.
02-18-2016, 01:08 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
So certain people kept on promising "just you wait" until the new FF camera comes out, it will be the perfect companion to your 645 lenses.

Guess what.........I see nothing, not a peep about it being compatible. No new adapter, no DA/DFA lens adapter.

I am happy to be corrected if I missed something, but I am bitterly disappointed to be honest.
You can still adapt 645 lenses onto the K-1 with the existing adapter.

DA lenses will not work since they have no aperture ring, however. Pentax would need to release an adapter with electrical contacts as well as a mechanical linkage, which could prove to be very complex.

I agree that it would be smart from a marketing standpoint to offer such an accessory, given Ricoh's targeting of the pro fashion market.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think it was Pentax's No.1 mistake not making the DA and DFA 645 lenses all electronic.

Anyways, I may skip the K-1 as a complimentary solution to my 645z and perhaps look at a Sony A6300, Nikon D500 or Fuji X-Pro2. If I have to buy new lenses then the K-1 just is not worth it.

My mind may change in time, but for now anyway thats where its at.

02-18-2016, 05:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

To quote the official press release that was posted:
QuoteQuote:
Lenses compatible with this mechanism: K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mount lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
Pentax K-1 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
02-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter

my Pentax rep informed my local dealer he could not talk about items there were not released yet. After I asked about a new 645-Kmount adapter. Still buying the K1. Images I can shoot with it are worth more to me than images I can't and I could get hit by a train tomorrow.
02-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
To quote the official press release that was posted:

Pentax K-1 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
You don't get it unfortunately. Just because they say it will work, does not mean it will work in any fashion that is acceptable. The existing 645-K adapter is certainly not acceptable.
02-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The existing 645-K adapter is certainly not acceptable.
What are the problems? I don't have any bodies except the Z, so I don't know. I do have a bunch of 645 lenses, though, so I am curious.

02-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The existing 645-K adapter is certainly not acceptable.
Quite right--an upgrade is overdue.
02-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
What are the problems? I don't have any bodies except the Z, so I don't know. I do have a bunch of 645 lenses, though, so I am curious.
basically, the old adapter is nothing more than a dead mount to mount adapter. There are no electronic connections so you get no control of aperture through the camera, definitely no af. Your modern 645z lenses won't function. Older lenses are used in stop down mode and the aperture controlled using the lens aperture ring. A new adapter would be nice. Mind you, the main lenses I want to use on the K1 are teles anyway and there is little chance that the af function would work.
02-23-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
basically, the old adapter is nothing more than a dead mount to mount adapter.
That's what I thought...
QuoteQuote:
There are no electronic connections so you get no control of aperture through the camera, definitely no af. Your modern 645z lenses won't function.
But that is still functionality, especially for those of us old enough to remember fully manual cameras and lenses... ;-} As far as "modern" is concerned, what I think you mean are the "latest". There are still new lenses available with the aperture ring.
QuoteQuote:
Older lenses are used in stop down mode and the aperture controlled using the lens aperture ring.
So, no problem!
QuoteQuote:
A new adapter would be nice.
Agreed.
03-07-2016, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Are you Allergic to being happy 2351HD?

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-07-2016 at 02:28 AM.
03-07-2016, 03:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am fine. Just been around long enough to see plenty of open promises and no follow through, in both the photo industry and my own industry that it gets you a little jaded after a while.

Are we all meant to be riding the praise train all day? Do you not think that after a solid $20k+ investment in Pentax MF gear that we aren't able to have our voice heard?

Reality is that the guy lied, he represents Pentax as an ambassador and lied. Unless his version of compatibility is far different to mine.
03-07-2016, 03:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Do you not think that after a solid $20k+ investment in Pentax MF gear that we aren't able to have our voice heard?
And be able to use 645 lenses it on FF? I work in the commercial photography industry : I do not have any use for this capability, and I'm puzzled why you consider it so essential for your work.
03-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

So who promised what?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/313857-picture-k-1-...ml#post3528529

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Another explanation proposed by sangha31 on Chassimages: these chips could be additional contacts for the new, fully-coupled Pentax 645 → K adapter.

Here below a picture showing the contacts of the Pentax 645 mount:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/313857-picture-k-1-...ml#post3528539
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
If i understood correctly..bear in mind that i wasn't drooling atm and didn't pay attention..That there will be 2 version of the FF. One with and one without the 645 connectivity. So take this with a pinch of salt since I'm not sure i heard or understood correctly
(emphasis mine in both quotes)
  1. pure speculation
  2. not paying attention, misheard, misunderstood