Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you would have a better chance of asking for a 23mm/5.6 lens than a 20.

This I would buy.

Otherwise it will be too big.

02-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #17

I'd like a circular fisheye for the 645.
02-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want a fast prime . Not as wide as Ed's though. I would like a 40mm f2.2. I want it so that I can shoot at 2.8 and have a better look than any of the current offerings. The 90mm DFA at 2.8 shoots an embarrassing bright spot in the middle of a field of underexposure, and no, I don't want to "fix it" in the computer. I want to be able to shoot my fast dream prime at 3.2 and have it look amazing.
02-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like I am on my own then. Oh well... Just have to hope high ISO keeps getting better with each new model I suppose :-)

02-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Looks like I am on my own then. Oh well... Just have to hope high ISO keeps getting better with each new model I suppose :-)
You have done some brilliant work, and you have a valid reason for wanting a fast wide lens. "impractical" is in the eye of the beholder. I work with cinema lenses, many of which are "impractical." you keep dreaming. I support your dream. Maybe a larger sensor will help in the future?
02-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Im with you 100% on this one Ed, I would love to see a new wide lens in the 20-23mm range. For me that would complete my kit.. and I wouldn't have to lug around a second dedicated UWA system.
02-23-2016, 12:18 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
For the same price as that proposed lens you could buy a new K-1 and 15-30 and have change left over. Use Astrotracer on the K-1 and away you go.

Or you could follow Michael from Luminous Landscape and get an Astrotrack for your Z and use the 25mm on it.
This is precisely what I am thinking of doing. My 645z with 28-45 will serve me for most of my landscape work then I have the K1/15-30 for times when I need ultra wide FOV or want to shoot at night. Seems like the perfect setup plus if I need to travel overseas with some of my canon gear I can just take the lighter K1 setup and still get great results. Best of both worlds.

02-26-2016, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

ok first things first, Ed Hurst and Digitalis - holy crap you guys rocked some lightning! Those are incredible.

Regarding the subject of astro, I do shoot a good bit of milky way with landscape-type stuff and although a serious solution for 645 mount would make great photos, I am for now very happy using the GPS in the K3 and stitching astro panos for a little better IQ. I am not sure having the capability on 645 mount would really change my workflow from the crop sensor. As such, I probably would not want to pay more than $3500 for a wide prime on 645. A fast and wide lens over $5K would just sit in the store window and taunt me, I'm afraid.

Here is about 8-frames of pano using the FA31 at f/2.8 on K5 with the astrotracer. This is a relatively inexpensive solution and the IQ is likely very comparable to results I would otherwise get with a wide single frame on the Z. For now, I am comfortable with this workflow and don't have much desire for a fast MF WA.

Still of the Night

Last edited by mikeSF; 02-26-2016 at 02:46 PM.
02-26-2016, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And now with the K-1 hitting the market in a few months time, the FA31 witl the new built in astrotracer will be an ever better solution than waiting for an f/2 645 lens from Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
ok first things first, Ed Hurst and Digitalis - holy crap you guys rocked some lightning! Those are incredible.
Thanks mate, you have shown some impressive work over the years yourself!

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-26-2016 at 11:32 PM.
02-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And now with the K-1 hitting the market in a few months time, the FA31 witl the new built in astrotracer will be an ever better solution than waiting for an f/2 lens from Pentax.

Thanks mate, you have shown some impressive work over the years yourself!
thx and yes, K1 will be even better for astro, one imagines.
02-27-2016, 04:04 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I am missing my 28 - 45. It is still at repair. Put it in at the end of November/beginning of December, and heard back about it yesterday. Was thinking "Great!" I get my 28 - 45 just in time for a trip to Innsbruck and then Tokyo. Not so great. They've got in touch just to give me an estimate and if I want to proceed with the repair. £800 for the repair and it takes them 3 months to even give an estimate. Fantastic.
02-27-2016, 05:05 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I am missing my 28 - 45. It is still at repair. Put it in at the end of November/beginning of December, and heard back about it yesterday. Was thinking "Great!" I get my 28 - 45 just in time for a trip to Innsbruck and then Tokyo. Not so great. They've got in touch just to give me an estimate and if I want to proceed with the repair. £800 for the repair and it takes them 3 months to even give an estimate. Fantastic.
This is so far is one of only 2 knocks for me on Pentax and Ricoh. My gear has been working just fine, and my Z is splendid, but the repair situation is really scary to me. And 3 months to get just a quote is so unacceptable it is hard to know what to say. It is especially bewildering because Ricoh is known for good service in the business printer sector, you would think someone in management would understand what a huge difference that makes.
02-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
This is so far is one of only 2 knocks for me on Pentax and Ricoh. My gear has been working just fine, and my Z is splendid, but the repair situation is really scary to me. And 3 months to get just a quote is so unacceptable it is hard to know what to say. It is especially bewildering because Ricoh is known for good service in the business printer sector, you would think someone in management would understand what a huge difference that makes.
I have one of those faults that has occurred with the remote release socket, plus the camera locks sometimes with PCS flashing. I'm scared to put it in in case it takes them a year to fix it! I get around the first by using a cheap infra red remote (I bought two at £6 each from amazon) the second I switch the camera off and then back on. It's happened 3 or 4 times. I still have 4 months of the 2 year guarantee left.
02-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I have one of those faults that has occurred with the remote release socket, plus the camera locks sometimes with PCS flashing. I'm scared to put it in in case it takes them a year to fix it! I get around the first by using a cheap infra red remote (I bought two at £6 each from amazon) the second I switch the camera off and then back on. It's happened 3 or 4 times. I still have 4 months of the 2 year guarantee left.
Believe me, I have been paying close attention to your and several other people's difficulties.....

I will say that the one time I've had an opportunity to speak to someone in Pentax U.S. management about this (at a big show), he was receptive to and very much understood my concerns. He hoped as I do that Ricoh will finally also understand and make the proper moves.
02-29-2016, 12:23 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote

Regarding the subject of astro, I do shoot a good bit of milky way with landscape-type stuff and although a serious solution for 645 mount would make great photos, I am for now very happy using the GPS in the K3 and stitching astro panos for a little better IQ. I am not sure having the capability on 645 mount would really change my workflow from the crop sensor. As such, I probably would not want to pay more than $3500 for a wide prime on 645. A fast and wide lens over $5K would just sit in the store window and taunt me, I'm afraid.

Here is about 8-frames of pano using the FA31 at f/2.8 on K5 with the astrotracer. This is a relatively inexpensive solution and the IQ is likely very comparable to results I would otherwise get with a wide single frame on the Z. For now, I am comfortable with this workflow and don't have much desire for a fast MF WA.

Still of the Night
Thanks Mike - very kind of you. Admire yours very much too!

With the use of the astrotracer with that 8-frame pano, how did you manage the static elements (horizon, tree, etc.)? Did you just take not traced frames for the lower part of the shot and stitch those in manually? Or some other method?

All the best,

Ed