Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 01:08 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
With the use of the astrotracer with that 8-frame pano, how did you manage the static elements (horizon, tree, etc.)? Did you just take not traced frames for the lower part of the shot and stitch those in manually? Or some other method?
If I had to guess, he took a static shot of the scene* and blended that in manually with the astro-traced starfield. The are are low level clouds above the treeline and the horizon in the image is obscured by mist so it would make blending it into the final image a simple matter. The tricky thing with a shot like that is the white balance: with so much light pollution around splitting the components in the image is a sensible approach, as it allows for greater flexibility than if it had been done in a single shot.

*note the reflection of the stars in the water.

02-29-2016, 01:16 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Mike - very kind of you. Admire yours very much too!

With the use of the astrotracer with that 8-frame pano, how did you manage the static elements (horizon, tree, etc.)? Did you just take not traced frames for the lower part of the shot and stitch those in manually? Or some other method?

All the best,

Ed
yes Ed, I start at the top and by the time i get to the terrestrial frame, i turn off the GPS and shoot one for the static elements and then use a mask to layer it in.

---------- Post added 02-29-2016 at 12:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If I had to guess, he took a static shot of the scene* and blended that in manually with the astro-traced starfield. The are are low level clouds above the treeline and the horizon in the image is obscured by mist so it would make blending it into the final image a simple matter. ...
this exactly...the clouds make the perfect place to do the blend.
03-01-2016, 01:06 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks chaps. Yes, I noticed the cloud/fog and assumed that the method had to be something like that. Also spotted the reflected stars, which I assume came from the tracked version in order to be sharp...?

I guess my question was not about this specific shot, which was assisted by the cloud/fog, but a general one. If those helpful features are not there, presumably you simply have to use more complex masks? If the tracked file happens to streak the trees over the horizon into the star area, do you have to use other bits of sky to fudge it?

Anyhow, whatever the method, superb!!! Enough to make me want a K1!

Ed
03-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks chaps. Yes, I noticed the cloud/fog and assumed that the method had to be something like that. Also spotted the reflected stars, which I assume came from the tracked version in order to be sharp...?

I guess my question was not about this specific shot, which was assisted by the cloud/fog, but a general one. If those helpful features are not there, presumably you simply have to use more complex masks? If the tracked file happens to streak the trees over the horizon into the star area, do you have to use other bits of sky to fudge it?

Anyhow, whatever the method, superb!!! Enough to make me want a K1!

Ed
No, the reflected stars are just whatever appeared from the non astrotracer exposure. Because the reflection would be at a different angle, i don't think it would help to use the astrotracer for the water. The water was moving, so it may have been futile for me to try for anything special there.

right, whenever I am blending areas that are tougher to select such as stars peeking through tree branches, I roll out the advanced selection techniques such as creating a high contrast mask (generated from my overexposed high ISO test frame usually) for the tree to reveal only that area of the "smeared" exposure and thus hide the star trailing. I also use blend modes wherever possible to ease that blend, such as "lighten" or "lighter color". In a very tricky spot, I may average the pixel values for an area of sky, thus erasing faint star trails and allowing the (lighten mode) pinpoint star layer to show through. Perhaps other techniques as needed.

I do not, however, shoot the sky framed without the foreground and then blend, although many people do this with fine results. All of my milky way shots have the sky to foreground relationship kept very much intact.

03-02-2016, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my hats off to all you late night guys

I'm in new zealand to shoot a wedding in a couple of days and spending the night up in the mountains - the skies here are perfect - inky black with a silly amount of stars.

Took the Z out. 30 secs, f/3.5, 6400 iso.

Looked like crap!

I know how to work around it, with multiple exposures and blending but just can't be bothered

Give me a bride any day
03-02-2016, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
my hats off to all you late night guys

I'm in new zealand to shoot a wedding in a couple of days and spending the night up in the mountains - the skies here are perfect - inky black with a silly amount of stars.

Took the Z out. 30 secs, f/3.5, 6400 iso.

Looked like crap!

I know how to work around it, with multiple exposures and blending but just can't be bothered

Give me a bride any day
I'm afraid of brides but splash me with cold seawater on a windy beach alone at 2:00am and I'm good to go.