Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

Pentax 67 w/90ls lens & Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to use a Nikon SB-600 speedlight with my Pentax 6x7 S-M-C Takumar 90mm 2.8 LS lens. I initially considered the SB-910, but felt that the majority of its features exceeded my outdoor, fill-in flash needs.

Would I need some sort of hot-shoe adapter that utilizes a cable going from the flash to the lens? Ideally, I would like to shoot off-camera flash.

Are there other flashes you would recommend? I've seen posts regarding the Pentax AF400T, but it seems hard to find.

Thanks.

02-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I can't remember (as I don't have a P67 right now) but if the lens has a cable input, you probably need to connect a cable to your flash or trigger. On my Bronica SQ, the grip has a built in hotshoe and I don't need to connect anything - just pop my wireless trigger into the hotshoe and I'm basically ready.
02-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bosch Quote
I can't remember (as I don't have a P67 right now) but if the lens has a cable input, you probably need to connect a cable to your flash or trigger. On my Bronica SQ, the grip has a built in hotshoe and I don't need to connect anything - just pop my wireless trigger into the hotshoe and I'm basically ready.
I forgot to mention that the Nikon SB-600 does not have an X-sync connection, as does the Nikon SB-910.
02-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I just checked some images of the 90mm/2.8 LS and it does have a PC sync socket. Knowing that, my previous post seems correct - you have to hook up the lens to your flash system somehow.

If your flashes don't have pc sync ports, you're going to have to connect the pc sync cable to something else. It seems there are two grips available for the 6x7 system, one with a hotshoe and one with a cold shoe (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/64605-hotshoe-grip-6x7.html). The hotshoe ones apparently have a sync port which, instead of connecting to the camera body with a cable, you could connect to the lens. Then, you can use your flash or trigger in the grips shoe.

You could also look into a trigger system that allows PC sync connection. I use a fairly cheap Yongnuo setup that unfortunately doesn't have it anymore (older unavailable models do) but I do know the older Pocket Wizards used to allow you to hook up the triggers to your PC port. Not sure if the newer models still do.

02-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks! I'll look into either a hotshoe-PC adapter, or one of the trigger systems.
02-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Also, I looked into this in the past (had an old rangefinder camera that had a cold shoe and pc port), you can't add a hotshoe to a camera that only has a PC port - according to the guys I spoke to, the hotshoe adapters don't work that way. They do sell hotshoe adapters with a PC port, but those are for cameras that don't have a PC port (but do have a hotshoe).
02-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bosch Quote
one with a hotshoe and one with a cold shoe (see Hotshoe grip with 6x7?).
That grip only works with the 67ii body, as it has a 5pin sync cable that connects to the Hot-shoe grip. (TTL flash support is available only on the 67ii)

You are stuck using the old x-sync cable with both LS lenses and the 6x7 & 67 bodies. The Pentax Af400T flash is a good choice for the 67 body and it has a special grip for the flash handle.

Phil.

02-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

I would suggest using a radio transmitter if you want the flash off camera. You need a short cable for the lens x-sync socket to the radio transmitter. On the other end, a cable from the receiver to the flash. Same as any other off camera flash setup except that you must connect to the flash socket on the lens and not the one on the camera. Obviously, this is all manual exposure. You will be increasing from the native sync speed of the camera (very slow) to up to 1/500th of a second. Just set up a test and you will be comfortable soon. Remember that you must cock the leaf shutter before each exposure.