Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
carrying around a Pentax 67

I saw a mint Pentax 67 with a non-metered prism in the local shop. It came with three lenses: 105, 165 and something wider. I immediately fell in love I've been shooting 35mm film for a bit over a year (around 10 rolls in total), and i'd totally like to try this thing out!

However, considering the size of the body and the lenses, and the fact that I really like my film MX with the M 50mm f1.7, I'm wondering if it realistic that one just straps this camera on a shoulder (I use a sling-style strap), and take hand-held shots? I do have a tripod, but my preferred way of shooting is that I walk around and take photos of random stuff - mostly buildings and nature on the nearby parks.

I'm by no means a pro, so the only reason I'd get this is the same as for the film 35mm: full-metal body, full-metal lenses, bright viewfinder, and in general it's a joy to use. And the worse part: I've got the finance minister's approval

02-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

man i want one just for that 105 lens.... every shot i have ever seen is blowing me away...
02-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For the average photographer, I'd say the 67 is too heavy and bulky even with a wide neoprene strap and the big wood handle grip. My limit is a Pentax 645. But the payoff increases with that size and bulk and the 67 produces nearly twice the size negs as my 645. If you are really excited and committed to the idea of amazing 20x24" and larger prints, then the extra sweat and perhaps wrist brace is worth it.

I've also seen 67 shooters use a monopod. Walking around with it on the shoulder. Just beware if you go with a quick release plate, get a heavy duty metal one that can handle the weight. Also cheaper monopods won't handle the weight and slip. But you wouldn't want the monopod to add even more weight, so I'd suggest carbon-fiber.

Hand developing 120 or 220 B&W is fairly easy. Finding a color lab that will process 120/220 is harder and then finding one that will develop it without scratching or other issues is another challenge.

And what I didn't think of when I went to medium format was that the IQ was so good I rarely shot 35mm after that.
02-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both you and the camera will be happier with a tripod. It's really a location camera, not a carry-and-see-what-we-find camera. Decades back at a geologic meeting there was a photographer selling aerial photos, - 35mm slides for use in lectures - of interesting and/or spectacular geologic features. He worked with a Pentax 6X7 then copied the giant chromes onto 35mm for sale. He said, and I could see, that he got far more detail than was possible by directly using a 35mm. I carried a Bronica S2 for a while with only two lenses, a 75mm f2.8 and a short mount Nikkor 250mm f4. I found myself leaving it behind because of the weight and eventually went back to 35mm. The Bronica was smaller & lighter than a Pentax 6X7. On the Virgin Islands there was a pro doing an advertising shoot who was using two 6X7s. He had two models (beautiful women) and two assistants to carry the big fiber case for the cameras & accessories.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-28-2016 at 02:23 PM.
02-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The 6X7 can be handheld, but it is quite a workout to expose much film. I was dog-tired after shooting a wedding and reception with one. Also, a heavy tripod is needed, as shutter inertia is quite high.
02-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry my 6x7 around. It might spend half its time around my neck/shoulder and half the time in my small camera bag. I have the 105/2.4, the 150/2.8 and the 45/4.
02-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to carry two bodes and 4 lenses and a metal Gitzo tripod.

Nearly bloody killed me!

02-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Carrying a 67 and shoot w/o tripod is not an issue for me - and the handling character of the 645s ist totaly different (that is why I am selling my 645 equipment).
Recently I shot Delt3200 film wit 1/30 of a sec. and teh 105 handheld.

DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Thalys-Einfahrt in Aachen

But to be honest: One body and some lens in a backpack is sometimes exhausting - but the results justify the effort.

I Have 2 Bodys and in 5 years i had 4 repairs on them - a cost factor thet can not be neglided.

---------- Post added 28-02-16 at 23:40 ----------

Carrying a 67 and shoot w/o tripod is not an issue for me - and the handling character of the 645s ist totaly different (that is why I am selling my 645 equipment).
Recently I shot Delta3200 film with 1/30 of a sec. and teh 105 handheld.

DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Thalys-Einfahrt in Aachen

But to be honest: One body and some lens in a backpack is sometimes exhausting - but the results justify the effort.

I Have 2 Bodys and in 5 years i had 4 repairs on them - a cost factor thet can not be neglided.
02-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
CDW
Site Supporter

In my early days I migrated from 35mm to the P67, with mirror lockup. It is possible to handhold the 67 if you keep shutter speed high and you flip up the mirror just before you expose. This means you have to compose carefully and keep your position for the short period when you have no viewfinder, then release the shutter. As others have said, it's a workout but it can be done. I eventually moved on to the P645n and 4x5 large format as my two film formats of choice but a couple of my best selling images today were captured with the 67. The 55mm and especially the 105, are great lenses and stopped down a bit, hold their own with just about any others in their class.
02-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
rlatjsrud

I use Pentax 67 even I'm a student. I usually use 105mm lens. Well, carrying around with Pentax 67 would be hard. It's huge and heavy camera. Using a tripod is the best way but you can't carry the tripod for whole time. I carried for 2 months in Korea with 50 roll of portra. I needed deep dof but quite limited due to the shutter speed. F11 was the max in day light if I meter for the shadow. Well the viewfinder is suck. It shows the cropped scene from the viewfinder. So if you are going to shoot pics with Pentax 67, you need to have a patient mind. Each shots take times. If you hate the viewfinder, I recommend you to buy WLF for better composing.
02-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #11

I have tuned my small mirrorless to be a sort of scout camera. I look around take a lot of shots with it. When I find something worthy, then the 645d comes out of the bag. It's pretty big (although still smaller than the 67), but I find that having thought about the shot already and sort of modeled it on my smaller camera, the MF shots are more efficient that way. To me, using the larger camera isn't the hard part, it's scouting with it like it was a small camera is. So, I just split the tasks up and it works nicely that way.
02-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I thought the Pentax 6x7 was quite small? Just bought a mint Mamiya RB67 ProSD. Use my istDS as an exposure meter. Keep the K5 and big lens in a separate back pack. Keep my truck handy. Cheers to all.
02-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
I thought the Pentax 6x7 was quite small? Just bought a mint Mamiya RB67 ProSD.
The Pentax 6x7 and the Mamiya RB67 are about the same weight, but are shaped differently. I don't think anyone would consider the 67 small by any measure. In photos it looks deceivingly small because of its traditional SLR design, but it's a hulk on steroids.
02-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The Pentax 67 is a brute beast to carry around on your shoulder or around your neck. Most people stuff it into a pack and carry it on their back, transforming themselves into slow, stumbling mules. I have a Pentax 67 body and 5 lenses. And I move real slow...

Big guys can probably get away easily with carrying this thing, but not me (I'm a little guy!) Add the weight of the tripod, a bottle of water, lunch and whatever else and you have a very heavy kit — much heavier than a comprehensive 35mm kit. The upside though is the superb image quality from the newer SMC-Pentax 67 lens stable (not the junky and quite old Takumars). You might find the P67 a bit easier to wrangle with the optional wooden hand-grip attached. Though this also adds yet more weight, more bulk and complicates packing.
02-29-2016, 06:13 AM   #15

I've done walkabout with the P67, with a couple of lenses in a backpack. I guess it depends on how big you are and what sort of shape you're in, but I don't find it to be much of a problem. You don't need a tripod if you can keep the shutter speed high enough.