Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Walnut Creek, California
Posts: 23
Annoying Feature with the 645z

I have two memory cards installed and set up for overflow - with slot 1 being the primary and slot 2 being the overflow. After a session I remove the card from slot 1 and upload my images via card reader. If for any reason power up the camera with just the card in slot 2 it becomes the primary slot, even after putting the card back into slot 1. This annoying feature, well for me it's annoying, as I have been caught out a couple of times after a new session assuming the images are on card 1 only to find an empty card - thoughts of horror that my assignment had disappeared but they were on the second card . All my other dual card cameras (Nikon D4, D3 & D800) retain the hierarchy for the cards even if one is removed and then put back....





Probably could be fixed with a firmware update? Anyone else bitten by this feature?


MK

03-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
joergens.mi's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 230
Seems to be standard with Pentax, same with K-3.
The only way is to insert Card in slot1 remove card from slot2 powering up or take a shot.
I would prefer a possibilty to switch the active card, by menu or button
03-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7
No, because of an other annoying feature: the position of the no. 1 slot relative to the door ("card cover" in PENTAX terminology). For me it's hard to get the card out of slot 1 - due to my not small enough fingers. I'm afraid it's just a question of time that the door will break loose, as a result of fumbling around. As a remedy I've put the cards to parallel mode, in order to leave card 1 where it is.
03-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,233
The solution is to power down the camera before removing cards. This is a good idea in general due since it ensures a clean unmount of the card's file system.


Steve

03-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Walnut Creek, California
Posts: 23
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The solution is to power down the camera before removing cards. This is a good idea in general due since it ensures a clean unmount of the card's file system.


Steve

I would never remove the cards without powering down the camera. My problem is leaving a card in slot 2. If you power the camera back up with only a card in slot 2 then it becomes the primary card even when you (power down) put the card back in slot 1..

---------- Post added 03-04-16 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by uwilli Quote
No, because of an other annoying feature: the position of the no. 1 slot relative to the door ("card cover" in PENTAX terminology). For me it's hard to get the card out of slot 1 - due to my not small enough fingers. I'm afraid it's just a question of time that the door will break loose, as a result of fumbling around. As a remedy I've put the cards to parallel mode, in order to leave card 1 where it is.


I think the solution would be a couple of addition menu options for card handling

  1. Card 1 - Overflow to Card 2
  2. Card 2 - Overflow to Card 1
  3. Set Primary Card (Always Card1 or Card 2)
  4. Parallel Write to Both Cards
  5. Raw (Select Card) + JPEG (Select Card)
Fortunately I do not have any issue removing either card - must be my slim but stubby fingers

03-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,112
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeKPhoto Quote
I would never remove the cards without powering down the camera. My problem is leaving a card in slot 2. If you power the camera back up with only a card in slot 2 then it becomes the primary card even when you (power down) put the card back in slot 1.
I never close the door on an empty card slot. When I remove a card with images on it, I immediately replace it with an empty card.
If you only have two cards I would suggest, when you remove the card from slot 1, take the card from slot 2 and put it in slot 1.
03-04-2016, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I never close the door on an empty card slot. When I remove a card with images on it, I immediately replace it with an empty card.
If you only have two cards I would suggest, when you remove the card from slot 1, take the card from slot 2 and put it in slot 1.
this is my workflow too. when i remove a card, the blank replacement (sitting on my card reader), goes directly in. Works well.

That said, on previous cameras I used to use the transfer cable which I kept permanently plugged into the PC to receive images, and IMO it is the better way and never requires removal of the SD cards nor opening of the card cover. Might be a viable alternate for you. I will likely go back as I am sure one day soon I will accidentally break a card or drop it into the abyss, or something...
03-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,993
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeKPhoto Quote
I have two memory cards installed and set up for overflow - with slot 1 being the primary and slot 2 being the overflow. After a session I remove the card from slot 1 and upload my images via card reader. If for any reason power up the camera with just the card in slot 2 it becomes the primary slot, even after putting the card back into slot 1. This annoying feature, well for me it's annoying, as I have been caught out a couple of times after a new session assuming the images are on card 1 only to find an empty card - thoughts of horror that my assignment had disappeared but they were on the second card . All my other dual card cameras (Nikon D4, D3 & D800) retain the hierarchy for the cards even if one is removed and then put back....





Probably could be fixed with a firmware update? Anyone else bitten by this feature?


MK
I don't know why a setting to select the primary drive still hasn't been added. Seems like an omission. The 645D did things right, whereas the 645Z, K-3, and K-1 all lack the setting.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
joergens.mi's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 230
QuoteOriginally posted by uwilli Quote
No, because of an other annoying feature: the position of the no. 1 slot relative to the door ("card cover" in PENTAX terminology). For me it's hard to get the card out of slot 1 - due to my not small enough fingers. I'm afraid it's just a question of time that the door will break loose, as a result of fumbling around. As a remedy I've put the cards to parallel mode, in order to leave card 1 where it is.
What is the problem make your Slot 2 to number 1, the numerics are just for information.

Take your card from slot 1, empower the camera and slot 2 is selected, After that use only slot 2 - in all normal situations.

I would never have an open door on the camera, even on the very robust K-3 it looks a little bit filigran to stay open. I think it can be broken easily by accident.


The idea with 3 Cards sounds very good (but expensive 3 times 128 GByte At the moment I'm using an old 64 GB and a newer 128 GB card - luckily I never got them fully filled on a single foto excursion up to now, there is always space left and that is a real good feeling). The cards get immediately copied to a PC when there is a possibility, The card are formatted after the copy in the camera
03-06-2016, 04:17 AM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 38
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeKPhoto Quote
I have two memory cards installed and set up for overflow - with slot 1 being the primary and slot 2 being the overflow. After a session I remove the card from slot 1 and upload my images via card reader. If for any reason power up the camera with just the card in slot 2 it becomes the primary slot, even after putting the card back into slot 1. This annoying feature, well for me it's annoying, as I have been caught out a couple of times after a new session assuming the images are on card 1 only to find an empty card - thoughts of horror that my assignment had disappeared but they were on the second card . All my other dual card cameras (Nikon D4, D3 & D800) retain the hierarchy for the cards even if one is removed and then put back....





Probably could be fixed with a firmware update? Anyone else bitten by this feature?


MK
I have done this on the Z too.
It was a little whiles ago now but I had just finished the shoot, pulled out card 1 put it into the card reader and nearly had a heart attack at there being no images on it, which I found odd at the time as I had been previewing images on the back of the camera the whole shoot.
Tried again, nothing...went back to the camera and checked it "oh the images are on card 2" /end mild panic attack
03-06-2016, 04:29 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
What is the problem make your Slot 2 to number 1, the numerics are just for information.

Take your card from slot 1, empower the camera and slot 2 is selected, After that use only slot 2 - in all normal situations.
Sure, but what would be the advantage over saving the files to two cards simultaneously, despite from needing just one card? I would like to either be able to assign the numbers to the slots or to have one more menu option, namely to save RAW to slot 2 and JPEG to slot 1.
Not really a big problem though.
03-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 36
This is how it works on the 645D so I wonder why they decided to do things differently on the Z? Very odd.
03-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #13
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: tangerang
Posts: 7
Hi all,

I try to put back card 1 ASAP to the card slot after I copy the content of card 1 to my pc.
That way the z will still acknowledge the numerical status of card 1.
I do not know how many minutes is the limit if you want to do that way.

I also annoyed by this feature, and experience the same thing.
When I remove the card 1 to copy the content, I always turn off the camera, then close the card slot door after taking out card 1

Thats all I can share for now

Regards
03-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Walnut Creek, California
Posts: 23
Original Poster
There is another annoying bugaboo with this card feature, that causes duplicate files. Format both cards, Shoot with card 1, remove card 1 and download the images and if you have turned on the 645z before replacing card 1, card 2 becomes primary and repeats the file sequence numbers eck!


I remove the cards and use a high speed USB card reader, much faster than downloading from the camera - especially shooting an event/wedding with 300 + images.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, card, cards, door, feature, fingers, images, medium format, overflow, power, session, slot, solution
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scotland in Winter with the 645z gha128 Pentax Medium Format 12 10-05-2015 08:53 AM
Help : How to disable this annoying feature ??? redcat Pentax K-5 6 05-05-2015 12:43 AM
On Location with the 645Z nphnet Pentax Medium Format 23 03-16-2015 09:13 AM
Africa with the Pentax 645Z jonojono Pentax Medium Format 25 07-30-2014 05:46 PM
K-x Annoying Feature Auto mode John52 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 49 02-08-2010 11:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top