Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 01:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What would you like to see in a 67D?

Dusting off my old 67 and 67ii yesterday I was suddenly (in my mind) right back there in the field using them - and it occurred to me what a pleasure the actual process of shooting with the 67s was - how the slowing down of everything made for better photographs.

So - suppose somebody comes up with a good sensor approximating to the 6x7 film format - would you want Pentax to make a 67D, and if you did, what features would you like it to have?

For myself, I'd be quite happy if it was just effectively a 67 back on the existing 67ii - I wouldn't want AF or continuous shooting - they'd be a huge battery drain, require new lenses, and serve no useful purpose. Pixel shift etc, image stabilisation etc? - the whole sensor unit would be too big to achieve without massive investment and serve little purpose - etc etc....

A digital 67ii? - what a pleasure!

But that's just the way I feel

What do you think?

03-07-2016, 03:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I made a thread about 67D a year ago, and have been thinking and changing my mind slightly from then. Here is my wish list:

- The existing mount with added electronic contacts for AF
- A retractable bellow between the back and the mount, with tilt and shift functionality. This enables a very slim and lightweight camera for its sensor size
- Its very sad this would mean the end of the the 67 optical VF as we know it, but I think it has to go because of weight and size of the whole camera
- A series of affordable f/5,6 primes with AF
- A few high end f/2,8 primes with AF
- A back side like clamshell style phones. A large 5-6" 4K screen that protects the buttons and wheels when not in use, and that must be flipped up/open to use the camera.

I'm sorry I propose a controversial removal of the beautiful optical VF, but I think it must go. A much easier alternative would be to just make a 67D back, but it will make many modern improvements impossible. I think Pentax should renew the 67 system much more thoroughly then just switch to a digital sensor. Pentax could easily charge 80k$ for a camera like this. At that price Phase one would be without a job until they do huge price cuts or launch something similar.

Last edited by Simen1; 03-07-2016 at 03:14 AM.
03-07-2016, 03:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I'm sorry I propose a controversial removal of the beautiful optical VF, but I think it must go.
Different opinions are what I'm looking for - it's too easy to get stuck in your own way of thinking and not see other possibilities - thanks
03-07-2016, 03:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would also like to present a radical different approach for reaching the sensor/lens performance of a 67D in landscape photography. Its to set up a 2*3 array of K-1's with identical prime lenses and control these as a group. Same settings. The six fields of view should be adjusted carefully to overlap slightly and focus set to the same distance. All the cameras should have synchronised exposures. Stitching the six single exposures should give landscape images comparable to a 72x72mm* 216 Mp* sensor.

Yesterday I was just playing with the thought of using four K-S1's with DA50mm f/1,8 to mimic a 48x32mm* 80 Mp* medium format landscape camera with a 50mm f/1,8 wide angle lens, for only 1600$.
A 3x4 array of these should give you similar landscape photos as a 240 Mp* 67D with a 50/1,8 ultra wide angle lens for only 4800$.

* minus overlap

03-07-2016, 03:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would also like to present a radical different approach for reaching the sensor/lens performance of a 67D in landscape photography. Its to set up a 2*3 array of K-1's with identical prime lenses and control these as a group. Same settings. The six fields of view should be adjusted carefully to overlap slightly and focus set to the same distance. All the cameras should have synchronised exposures. Stitching the six single exposures should give landscape images comparable to a 72x72mm* 216 Mp* sensor.
Part of my logic for minimal changes was indeed to keep it affordable to ordinary photo-enthusiasts (or better off photo-enthusiasts), but that is also a possible answer. However - people like me who aren't good at the technical bits and like to trek out into the field would obviously prefer a single camera setup. I also wonder - but again I might be just being a stick-in-the-mud if the aesthetic of a single wide lens might not be preferable - the edge distortions have almost become part of the photographic vocabulary - but again - I'm interested to think it over, which I surely will continue to do
03-07-2016, 04:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I came to think about an even cheaper and larger sensor concept (with a huge drawback). Stack a tablet, a scanner, a bellow and a lens. Then you get a huge resolution, huge size sensor (in terms of DoF), at the cost of very slow scanning exposures. It could be useful for landscape and city views. Waves on water will make a weird effect you would ether love or hate. The line scanning sensor may have many lines to represent more then just RGB filters. IT could be useful to have rows with the usual RGB filters, ND filtered RGB, and even IR filtered rows. Thus will produce a huge amount of spectral data that can be used creatively. For instance having a RGB image treated with an IR channel to make the blue sky darker, without loosing colors. Some rows can also be CPL filtered at different angles so you can CPL filter the image in post process.

The camera may be cheap, but you probably need a supercomputer and a degree in multispectral image processing.

Last edited by Simen1; 03-07-2016 at 04:43 AM.
03-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #7

I made a thread about 67D a year ago, and have been thinking and changing my mind slightly from then. Here is my wish list:

- The existing mount with added electronic contacts for AF
- A retractable bellow between the back and the mount, with tilt and shift functionality. This enables a very slim and lightweight camera for its sensor size
- Its very sad this would mean the end of the the 67 optical VF as we know it, but I think it has to go because of weight and size of the whole camera
- A series of affordable f/5,6 primes with AF
- A few high end f/2,8 primes with AF
- A back side like clamshell style phones. A large 5-6" 4K screen that protects the buttons and wheels when not in use, and that must be flipped up/open to use the camera.
Sounds like an Rz67 SdII...

03-07-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Dusting off my old 67 and 67ii yesterday I was suddenly (in my mind) right back there in the field using them - and it occurred to me what a pleasure the actual process of shooting with the 67s was - how the slowing down of everything made for better photographs.

So - suppose somebody comes up with a good sensor approximating to the 6x7 film format - would you want Pentax to make a 67D, and if you did, what features would you like it to have?

For myself, I'd be quite happy if it was just effectively a 67 back on the existing 67ii - I wouldn't want AF or continuous shooting - they'd be a huge battery drain, require new lenses, and serve no useful purpose. Pixel shift etc, image stabilisation etc? - the whole sensor unit would be too big to achieve without massive investment and serve little purpose - etc etc....

A digital 67ii? - what a pleasure!

But that's just the way I feel

What do you think?
A very basic 67 would make me happy, with a splitprism / microprism, no AF, good metering. And that's it