Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

Pentax 6x7 Test Without Battery

I just given a Pentax 6x7 with no battery, and I'm trying to try out the camera with NO FILM inside. I've read that you need to press down and move the shutter counter dial to trick the camera that there's film inside, which I'm able to do, but after pressing the shutter, it kind of jams; then I need to press that button in the front with a pen. Is this camera dead? Do I need a battery in order to continue testing the camera without film?

I'm not really planning on using it, and before I rush out to buy a battery, I thought I'd check here.

Any info appreciated.

03-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What are you doing??
The shutter requires power, through a solenoid, to fire. No battery = no power, obviously. The camera is designed not to fire unless film is loaded, to protect the shutter. True, you can bypass this in the manner you have partially described. After the reset button is pressed, the shutter must then also be pressed once to complete the cycle. But why are you doing all this? Why not just put in a battery, load a roll of film and use the camera as intended?
03-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
What are you doing??
The shutter requires power, through a solenoid, to fire. No battery = no power, obviously. The camera is designed not to fire unless film is loaded, to protect the shutter. True, you can bypass this in the manner you have partially described. After the reset button is pressed, the shutter must then also be pressed once to complete the cycle. But why are you doing all this? Why not just put in a battery, load a roll of film and use the camera as intended?
What am I doing?? I'm inquiring if this particular camera needs a battery or not to operate as some cameras don't have batteries at all and can work. As I typed, I don't plan to use it as it was given to me. I don't want to buy a battery and load a roll of film only to discover the camera is dead or whatever anomaly with or without a battery; hence, the question. Great. Now I got useful information, thank you, without having to buy a battery or load the camera.
03-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted above, your camera requires a battery for the shutter to work and is designed to not "dry fire" (operate without film). This may be overriden by using the tool and procedure described in the camera manual:

Pentax 6X7 instruction manual, Pentax 6x7 prism finder, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Steve

03-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cereal Killer Quote
I just given a Pentax 6x7 with no battery, and I'm trying to try out the camera with NO FILM inside. I've read that you need to press down and move the shutter counter dial to trick the camera that there's film inside, which I'm able to do, but after pressing the shutter, it kind of jams; then I need to press that button in the front with a pen. Is this camera dead? Do I need a battery in order to continue testing the camera without film?

I'm not really planning on using it, and before I rush out to buy a battery, I thought I'd check here.

Any info appreciated.
You can dry fire 67 using two methods, as outlined in the manual. Easier one is without tool: with back is open, turn the counter dial pass 0, holding it that way, close the door. Now you can "dry fire" it, by cocking the shutter, and press the button.

However, without battery, the mirror will not come down after you fire. There is a button in front, where you can press and release the mirror back down, then you can cock the shutter again, and fire.

It's doable, please read the manual as my explanation may not be good enough (manual have picture to describe these).
03-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input.
03-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
No Battery - Test for shutter action verification and mirror return.

Here is a no battery test...if you just need to see if the curtains will work and if the mirrors are able to cycle....

You will need a pen, because it is sturdier than a pencil or you can use whatever will operate the reset button.

Set the body in to dry-fire mode...(back/film door open, thumb dial rotated past zero and hold, close the back/film door)
winding the advance lever.
push and hold reset button.
fire shutter.
let-go of reset button.

If you had removed the lens and observed the action, the mirror went up and curtain #1 sprung open, you see the pressure plate then when you let go, curtain #2 closed and the mirror returned.

The holding of the reset is the simulation of magnet holding for the exposure.

I hope this helps.

Do note that this does not verify if the advance is properly working or the clutch is in good shape and of course without the battery you are not able to verify if all the power switches or magnet is working.
03-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

If you do not have the right battery in hands for an initial test you can use 4 LR44 (fixed together with some tape).
Without a battery the mirror will be blocked half way and needs to be released by the (hidden) relese button on the front surface.