Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

Need a backpack for my 645Z

Greetings from the edge of beyond... I live in a tiny town at the edge of the Namib Desert. At the moment I am lugging my gear around in a big pelican case, but that is useless for climbing. Do any of you 645Z owners have recommendations for a lightweight backpack for the 645Z, lenses I have a 28-45, 45-85 120 macro, filters, batteries, etc.

03-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The newest Tilopa from FStop.

It is their smallest bag that has the thicker shoulder straps and is very comfortable, the weight just disappears.
03-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote

It is their smallest bag that has the thicker shoulder straps and is very comfortable, the weight just disappears.
+1. This is the one I have. Hard wearing and a great pack on its own when you remove the ICU. It takes the large ICU.
03-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Namibchris Quote
Greetings from the edge of beyond... I live in a tiny town at the edge of the Namib Desert. At the moment I am lugging my gear around in a big pelican case, but that is useless for climbing. Do any of you 645Z owners have recommendations for a lightweight backpack for the 645Z, lenses I have a 28-45, 45-85 120 macro, filters, batteries, etc.
I use this guy

The Perfect Photo Backpack For All Your Gear - Lowepro.com Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

Easily fits a 645z and 5 or so lenses. I took it on a 6hr hike fully loaded and it was great.

03-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote

Another plus one on the Tilopa from fStop. I have the large ICU and the 'slope' ICU making it a bit more flexible for miscellaneous gear as well as camera gear. Excellent quality and very comfortable over hard terrain. Still finding it tricky to find a fstop raincover here in the UK though.
03-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Another plus one on the Tilopa from fStop. I have the large ICU and the 'slope' ICU making it a bit more flexible for miscellaneous gear as well as camera gear. Excellent quality and very comfortable over hard terrain. Still finding it tricky to find a fstop raincover here in the UK though.
Thanks for the recommendation, fortunately rain isn't much of an issue here in Namibia.....
03-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #7

I resisted F-Stop bags due to price and eventually caved and bought the Guru I think it was with the medium slope ICU. I took it, the 645Z and 3-4 lenses including the 400A and my bad back to Ecuador for 3 weeks last fall. Highly recommended. It does a great job of keeping the weight evenly distributed between shoulders and waist when the waist strap is done up.
03-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will go ahead and order the Fstop bag, it appears that the guru V2 will be perfect. I need it for day work not trekking. Sadly though the ICU's are all on back order so I will be waiting for some time to get this. Even ordering from them and shipping to me here in Namibia, it is about 1/2 the price of a Lowepro bag in South Africa. We are constantly getting boned on buying things here......

Last edited by Namibchris; 03-14-2016 at 11:42 AM.
03-14-2016, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a problem many of us would love to have.
03-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Namibchris Quote
Just wanted to make sure you know about Rotation 180 Pro backpack Mindshift makes. I've been using some old big Tamrac for several years already and started to look for upgrade options. The main idea with the Mind shift backpacks is that you can rotate a belt pack (that is part of the backpack) to access you gear without having to take the backpack off or move it so it's in front of you, google it for video, looks very convenient. Dont have it yet but I seriously consider it because of that feature only.