Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SeattleDucks Quote
Good points, I will edit my post to remove that comment.
No need. I didn't mean to imply that your comment was inappropriate. I just wanted to point out that we need everyone's help.

03-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, that is one of them, but there are others. We can all see the frustration, but once you've stated your position with ample explanation, I wouldn't go further when it is only one or two others that may disagree or refuse to acknowledge or understand. Of course, the same applies to the other party, otherwise one is fueling the fire and it becomes a debate beyond what is useful for the OP.

Maybe putting up your own OP would be a better path regarding specific issues like aspect/format ratios pros and cons? From there a consensus may form or not. No one should be frustrated on the forum; the second you feel frustration, that should be a sign to step aside and see what others have to say. Everyone is into photography for the same and different reasons, and there are a ton of members that I'd never associate with, but on any given topic they might teach me something, or I can share an insight. And in my life, I've probably learned as much from bad teachers as good ones.
It's not frustration with the issue itself it's with that poster who just isn't seeing the issue and keeps coming back with the same circular argument with an arrogant and patronising tone. The OP of that thread's main issue is with the aspect ratio and he seems to think that simply cropping is the answer when it isn't as simple as that especially with portrait shots where shooting distance can be minimal but crucial. The OP is asking a practical question and this poster is giving largely only theoretical answers that aren't really helping him.
03-19-2016, 01:21 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
It's not frustration with the issue itself it's with that poster who just isn't seeing the issue and keeps coming back with the same circular argument with an arrogant and patronising tone. The OP of that thread's main issue is with the aspect ratio and he seems to think that simply cropping is the answer when it isn't as simple as that especially with portrait shots where shooting distance can be minimal but crucial. The OP is asking a practical question and this poster is giving largely only theoretical answers that aren't really helping him.
Understood. You've more than explained it to him and he's "sticking to his guns", so after the second attempt, I'd drop it. We can't know the true intent of anyone's disagreement, other than the past history of the poster and does any of this need repeating to answer the OP.

I often see posts that I slightly or totally disagree with, but instead of arguing with the post, I just present what I think is correct and true. If someone has an issue with what I've posted, I might defend it once, but after that, I don't want to hijack the original intent of the post.....like I'm doing right now
03-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
We still have a couple quasi-trolls, but nothing like the ones you're referring to. I'm convinced that one of them was paid on a per post basis by Sony.
Boy, I would never believe that! Sony is also too disorganized!

03-20-2016, 01:56 AM   #20

it's not just here. there are other forums where people are piping in saying 645z has zero advantage over canon/sony, i wouldn't be surprised if those companies are paying people to spread disinformation.

it's happened before in the tech world many times.
03-20-2016, 02:11 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think you have to necessarily pin the blame on a competitor company.
There are plenty of one-eyed brand blinded fan boys who will just not accept that anything but their choice (however made!) is the only sensible, reasonable, logical choice.
I suspect that many are only wedded to a particular brand because that's what a salesman told them was best.
03-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

As Gavin mentioned - not just here.

And not just photo forums. Seems to be all over the web anymore.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I don't think you have to necessarily pin the blame on a competitor company.
There are plenty of one-eyed brand blinded fan boys who will just not accept that anything but their choice (however made!) is the only sensible, reasonable, logical choice.
I suspect that many are only wedded to a particular brand because that's what a salesman told them was best.
A lot of them out there. IMHO some have become that way through their own long-term use (decades) of a system.

One of the more "polite" disparaging phrases I've heard thrown at those of us who aren't anchored into one system forever is "once a switcher, always a switcher". It is inconceivable in their minds that someone might not have massive amounts of money tied up in one system's expensive glass, and might move to a camera and lens combo that will do better for certain tasks. Canon (or Nikon or Sony or Fuji or Pentax) is always their answer for whatever camera might best fit your needs.

03-21-2016, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention. I may as well not start now!
03-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I may as well not start now!
Good philosophy Matt; stick with it.
04-16-2016, 04:00 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

to my mind this has been one of the more polite forums. I made an OOPS awhile back and was called on it quickly. I was quick with my apology
I also belong to the ugly hedgehog forum,they can get testy, and in their attic section, down right nasty.