Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Viciousness in the forums right now

I am not going to lie, I have been known to complain about things on this MF forum, like the lack of this, or the non-support of that, but we are allowed to voice our concerns, disappointments and hopes.

However, lately the forums MF and FF have been alive with trolling, nasty throws, insults hurled and unrelenting intellectual statements from self proclaimed experts, all because of the launch of the K1.

Its getting a bit much and very boring, same old equivalence crap.

Anybody else here vote that we keep this MF forum free of it?

Scott

03-19-2016, 01:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You got my vote, Scott. But not just for this forum, but other threads as well.
Amen.
03-19-2016, 02:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must be missing something.
03-19-2016, 02:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Good for you. Actually you're not missing anything worth seeing. There are some ugly debates floating around, typically between two posters, but often fueled by passerbys that throw in a kick or two into the fight. Lord of the Files.

03-19-2016, 02:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Good for you. Actually you're not missing anything worth seeing. There are some ugly debates floating around, typically between two posters, but often fueled by passerbys that throw in a kick or two into the fight. Lord of the Files.
don't know whether it's the 4:3/3:2 debate you're thinking of. I'm trying to keep my frustration in check, honest! Let me know if I am failing.
03-19-2016, 02:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I'm with you. The spats referred to, that I've seen, at least, are part of an ongoing series that really has nothing to do with the appearance of the K-1.

If you look at the antagonists like this:

…it puts such things in their proper perspective.
03-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
don't know whether it's the 4:3/3:2 debate you're thinking of. I'm trying to keep my frustration in check, honest! Let me know if I am failing.
Mainly in the FF forums mate, threads getting shut down, others being restarted, lots of the same stuff being bashed.

Your 4:3 thread is similar in the back and forth nature, but we all know you here and hold your thoughts in high regard.
03-19-2016, 02:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Mainly in the FF forums mate, threads getting shut down, others being restarted, lots of the same stuff being bashed.

Your 4:3 thread is similar in the back and forth nature, but we all know you here and hold your thoughts in high regard.
Thanks, just wanted to be sure. I can be quite passionate so wanted to be sure I hadn't crossed the line at all

03-19-2016, 04:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had not seen those posts, and I'm not sorry for that, but sad to hear there is anything resembling intolerant disagreement. Years back PF was infected by obvious trolls, posting vicious attacks on both Pentax and anyone who used the brand. Thankfully they were purged rather quickly.
03-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #10

Thanks, just wanted to be sure. I can be quite passionate so wanted to be sure I hadn't crossed the line at all

I don't think you crossed any line, but I have to say that you display some abnegation and patience that I don't have myself
03-19-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Years back PF was infected by obvious trolls, posting vicious attacks on both Pentax and anyone who used the brand. Thankfully they were purged rather quickly.
We still have a couple quasi-trolls, but nothing like the ones you're referring to. I'm convinced that one of them was paid on a per post basis by Sony.
03-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Yes, that is one of them, but there are others. We can all see the frustration, but once you've stated your position with ample explanation, I wouldn't go further when it is only one or two others that may disagree or refuse to acknowledge or understand. Of course, the same applies to the other party, otherwise one is fueling the fire and it becomes a debate beyond what is useful for the OP.

Maybe putting up your own OP would be a better path regarding specific issues like aspect/format ratios pros and cons? From there a consensus may form or not. No one should be frustrated on the forum; the second you feel frustration, that should be a sign to step aside and see what others have to say. Everyone is into photography for the same and different reasons, and there are a ton of members that I'd never associate with, but on any given topic they might teach me something, or I can share an insight. And in my life, I've probably learned as much from bad teachers as good ones.
03-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I'm glad you have been standing up to the crap from that one particular poster in the D810/645Z thread. His arrogant, disrespectful and belittling tone without provocation is the reason I usually stay off of forums. I have added him to my ignore list.

Ross

Last edited by SeattleDucks; 03-19-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary comment
03-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SeattleDucks Quote
but wish there was stricter moderation to deal with that type.
Have you reported the problematic posts? We intervene when appropriate on issues that we encounter, but we cannot possibly read every thread on the forum. We have a post reporting system and rely heavily on members to call inappropriate posts to our attention.
03-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Have you reported the problematic posts? We intervene when appropriate on issues that we encounter, but we cannot possibly read every thread on the forum. We have a post reporting system and rely heavily on members to call inappropriate posts to our attention.
Good points, I will edit my post to remove that comment.

Ross