Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #1

Pentax 67 75mm shift lens usage query

Hi, I have a Pentax 67ii along with AE prism finder . I would like to clarify my understanding of the steps in using the 75mm shift lens

1) set aperture preset ring at desired aperture
2) focus on subject
3) move the aperture ring to desired aperture
( The maximum movement is limited to one set by aperture preset ring)

A) can aperture ring be set at aperture different from that of aperture preset ring ( Eg : f/16 on preset and f/8 on aperture ring . I have set the preset to f/16. Do I need to set aperture ring on f/16 only if I do not change the preset setting ? )

4) meter the subject
B) does the aperture preset ring position impact the meter reading ?)
C) what is the purpose of preset ring?
D) why should we meter before shifting the lens?

thanks in advance

03-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csanjay Quote
Hi, I have a Pentax 67ii along with AE prism finder . I would like to clarify my understanding of the steps in using the 75mm shift lens

1) set aperture preset ring at desired aperture
2) focus on subject
3) move the aperture ring to desired aperture
( The maximum movement is limited to one set by aperture preset ring)

A) can aperture ring be set at aperture different from that of aperture preset ring ( Eg : f/16 on preset and f/8 on aperture ring . I have set the preset to f/16. Do I need to set aperture ring on f/16 only if I do not change the preset setting ? )

4) meter the subject
B) does the aperture preset ring position impact the meter reading ?)
C) what is the purpose of preset ring?
D) why should we meter before shifting the lens?

thanks in advance
Check this link out:

SMC Pentax 67 / SMC Pentax-6x7 75mm F4.5 Shift Reviews - 67 Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have a scanned copy of the manual if you still need it.

PM me.

Phil.
03-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

I have written a basic guide on using a Tilt Shift lens, read here. Takes you through step by step.
03-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

How sharp is this lens?

And what is the difference between the earlier version and the later version optically?

The older version is quite inexpensive in comparison to the later version.

03-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The 75 shift is not known to be as sharp as the f/4.5 75mm. They are quite different in design. The 5 element f/4.5 is based on the French Retrofocus design, while the 75 shift has 9 elements and is loosely based on the Biogon design. There was a need to have more elements in the shift lens due to the increased degree of obliquity of the rays. Off axis aberrations needed to be better corrected in the shift lens.
03-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
And what is the difference between the earlier version and the later version optically?

None same optics, same SMC coatngs just a name change.

Phil.
03-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, the 75 f/4.5 is cheaper but it is not a shift lens.
03-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

How sharp is this lens?

If you want a sharp lens, invest in the 75mm f2.8AL.
A shift lens has very, very limited use in reality, unless you combine shift with tilt/swing along the same lines as used in large format e.g. Canon's TS-E lenses.
Buying a shift lens on the assumption it will be the thing for architectural or some other perceived needs is an odd tack. Architectural photography will benefit from more varied movements than simply shift.

03-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
gofour, thanks. I do have the scanned copy. TheDocAus , thanks for the link , I will check it out. Bought the 75 shift as I wanted to try out architecture in Medium format - I am new to Medium format. I shoot mostly building exteriors , when it comes to architecture - older buildings - churches, buildings of heritage value , not modern buildings