Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Looking for a focusing rail that can double up as a nodal point adapter for 645D / Z

Hello everyone

Maybe some amongst you have got experience with the various focusing rails that are available out there. I am looking for an arca compatible quick release system. I was hoping for the Novoflex Castel Q rail that is reasonably light and has enough reach to double up for finding the nodal point on lenses below 200mm (all theory, have not checked this). Unfortunately, the quick release adapter on the Castel Q seems to be slighly incompatible with the really right stuff camera plate for the 645D. The next suggestion is the Kirk FR-2 (heavier, nicer, but shorter), but I am wondering if this one has sufficient reach for the nodal point with the longer lenses. I will be happy with single-row panoramics (I hope). My hope was to avoid humping two rails about (or leaving the wrong one at home). Guess an alternative would be to go for two sets of camera plates if there is no more elegant solution.
Anybody out there who has worked with a similar setup? Is a sliding rail an alternative, or just pain when doing macro?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rainer

03-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to B&H and do a search for "nodal rail." SunwayFoto makes quite a variety, some quite long, some L-shaped with two Arca-Swss rails for either horizontal or vertical. Their products are very well made and nicely finished.
03-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't found a sliding rail to be a good substitute for a geared focusing rail for macro; too fussy. For panos, an RRS plate on a 645 is pretty close to the lens mount, so I think the FR-2 rail would be long enough with anything 200mm or shorter (or maybe even longer; nodal points aren't at the front of a lens).
03-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #4

Suggest you look at what nodal ninja has to offer: Precision low cost panoramic tripod equipment ? Nodal Ninja

03-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. The nodal rails all lack the geared focusing functionality. Sliding works fine if you just need to find a predetermined position, so for panoramas, but as one of you confirmed, is no fun if you are trying to catch up with a run-away snail (for example). Looks like I will have to shell out for the Kirk FR-2. Pity about the weight (more than 600g in my world) though.