Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 01:48 AM   #1

Hasselblad 110 f2 lens

Hello folks, I hope you're all doing great. I've picked up Pentax D-FA 90mm f2.8 macro lens as my first Pentax 645 lens. So, my plan now is to expand my lens collection for portraits. I'd like to ask you about your experience using Hasselblad 110 f2 lens on your Pentax 645d/z.

- The wide aperture is attractive, but how sharp is it wide open and what's the quality of bokeh?
- How easy is it to manual focus this lens? I rarely use manual focus on my Canon lenses, and unfortunately I can never get
as sharp results as with autofocus.
- Finally, if this lens is attached to the body using an adapter, does this affect the weather sealed feature of 645d/z bodies?

Thanks a lot!

03-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kparseg Quote
The wide aperture is attractive, but how sharp is it wide open and what's the quality of bokeh?
I have worked with this lens, and incidentally it's f/2.2 not f/2. the HC 110mm f/2.2 is OK wide open, contrast is below average for a modern lens design. Wide open central sharpness is average, corner image quality especially on full format digital backs is very poor. The hood needs to be used at all times with this lens. But on the good side it sharpens up considerably when stopped down - peak central sharpness is reached by f/4.5,Consistent image quality across the frame is obtained by f/11. If you're looking for truly superb wide open performance the Leica -S Summicron 100mm f/2 beats the HC 110mm f/2.2 by a wide margin - the Bokeh of the Leica lens is considerably better as well. But Leica S lenses cannot be used or adapted to fit on Pentax 645 cameras.

How easy is it to manual focus this lens? I rarely use manual focus on my Canon lenses, and unfortunately I can never get as sharp results as with autofocus.
It can be tricky to work with, unlike the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L lens this lens does not focus by wire: so the manual focus feel is precise and responsive.

Finally, if this lens is attached to the body using an adapter, does this affect the weather sealed feature of 645d/z bodies?
yes.The body itself will retain WR characteristics, the lens and adapter in all probability do not poses WR sealing and therefore without taking proper precautions they will be vulnerable to damage.
03-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have worked with this lens, and incidentally it's f/2.2 not f/2. the HC 110mm f/2.2 is OK wide open, contrast is below average for a modern lens design. Wide open central sharpness is average, corner image quality especially on full format digital backs is very poor. The hood needs to be used at all times with this lens. But on the good side it sharpens up considerably when stopped down - peak central sharpness is reached by f/4.5,Consistent image quality across the frame is obtained by f/11. If you're looking for truly superb wide open performance the Leica -S Summicron 100mm f/2 beats the HC 110mm f/2.2 by a wide margin - the Bokeh of the Leica lens is considerably better as well. But Leica S lenses cannot be used or adapted to fit on Pentax 645 cameras.
I am also interested in this lens. Because my main usage is astrophotography, I need large aperture. I think I can afford stopping the lens down to at most F4.5, but not any further. If stopping down to F4 can provide decent corner sharpness, then it will be very good for me. Based on your description, this lens probably cannot satisfy this.

Any lens in the 100mm to 150mm range can provide good corner sharpness by F4? Suggestions are appreciated.
03-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have worked with this lens, and incidentally it's f/2.2 not f/2. the HC 110mm f/2.2 is OK wide open, contrast is below average for a modern lens design. Wide open central sharpness is average, corner image quality especially on full format digital backs is very poor. The hood needs to be used at all times with this lens. But on the good side it sharpens up considerably when stopped down - peak central sharpness is reached by f/4.5,Consistent image quality across the frame is obtained by f/11. If .
Out of curiousousity do you know how does the CF 100 Planar compare to the HC110?

03-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have worked with this lens, and incidentally it's f/2.2 not f/2
Thank you very much for the detailed response. The question I have is whether or not you're talking about Hasselblad HC 100mm f2.2 or Hasselblad 110mm f2.0 Planar? It was my impression that you can only adapt the latter lens but not the former lens to Pentax 645 (please correct me if I'm wrong).
03-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whwang Quote
Any lens in the 100mm to 150mm range can provide good corner sharpness by F4? Suggestions are appreciated.
Both the 105 and 150mm for the 6x7 come to mind. Both are Double Gauss designs and have low longitudinal and lateral color. F/4 is not their sharpest stop but they do OK there.
03-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #7

QuoteQuote:
it was my impression that you can only adapt the latter lens but not the former lens to Pentax 645 (please correct me if I'm wrong).
you are right So it is useless to speak about the (Fuji EBC) Hasselblad 2.2/110 HC , better focus on the Carl Zeiss Oberkochen Planar FE 2.0 /110mm.

QuoteQuote:
- Finally, if this lens is attached to the body using an adapter, does this affect the weather sealed feature of 645d/z bodies?
The adapter Hasselblad -> Pentax645 I use, makes any weathersealing useless (if my Pentax 645N would have weathersealing )

P.S: my "best" Planar ( I have four of them) is the 3.5 /100 CF .

03-22-2016, 02:51 PM - 4 Likes   #8

Hello folks, I hope you're all doing great. I've picked up Pentax D-FA 90mm f2.8 macro lens as my first Pentax 645 lens. So, my plan now is to expand my lens collection for portraits. I'd like to ask you about your experience using Hasselblad 110 f2 lens on your Pentax 645d/z.

- The wide aperture is attractive, but how sharp is it wide open and what's the quality of bokeh?
- How easy is it to manual focus this lens? I rarely use manual focus on my Canon lenses, and unfortunately I can never get
as sharp results as with autofocus.

Thanks a lot!
i keep meaning to write some real detail about this lens on my site as it's a common question. it's the obvious fast lens to get for a 645.

here's a 100% crop at f/2.

however, thats live view on a tripod. So you can get that sharpness, it's there in the lens - but getting it in real life when handheld and focussing through view finder is tough. Basically I have lots of really nice looking shots from this lens that print beautifully and look great online but to be picky if you zoom in at 100% on the full sized file it'll be a smidgen out of focus. As a wedding guy I'm ok with this - I don't want my wedding shots to be crazy sharp.

I will say it'll be easier to manual focus than the canon gear. For example the canon 85 1.2 manual focus ring is kind of a bit sloppy/easy to move. The 110mm is one of the nicest built lenses I've ever used and the MF ring is just beautifully weighted and with the big 645 viewfinder I get on pretty well with it.

Not sure about weather sealing.

Here are a few f/2 shots I picked at random. I used to change the aperture on this lens for people shots but now just leave it at f/2 all the time. Bokeh wise my personal opinion is it's super smooth up close, and when shooting at distance the smoothness can either look great or a bit odd depending on the background. I really like how this lens looks different to everyone else using the typical canon glass.

oh one more thing, shoot it without the lens hood for some epic flare

and stoppped down, it's nice for landscapes too. something about it that just looks a bit different. contrast related I guess.

hope this helps. I use it when I'm not in a rush and can set things up - if i need to shoot faster I use the 75 or 150 for the AF.
03-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
i keep meaning to write some real detail about this lens on my site as it's a common question. it's the obvious fast lens to get for a 645.
That's very helpful. Thanks a lot for your comments and beautiful shots!
03-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hasselblad HC 100mm f2.2 or Hasselblad 110mm f2.0 Planar?
The planar is worse due to the fact that Fuji EBC coatings are used on the "slower" f/2.2 versions which give the modern HC 110mm f/2.2 a much needed boost in image contrast, which the 110mm planar f/2 sorely lacks.
03-22-2016, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #11

The planar is worse due to the fact that Fuji EBC coatings are used on the "slower" f/2.2 versions which give the modern HC 110mm f/2.2 a much needed boost in image contrast, which the 110mm planar f/2 sorely lacks.
Never used the 2.2 but I quite like the contrast levels on my 110/2.

Anyway talking about the 2.2 is really quite pointless, as it doesn't fit on a 645z.

Last edited by gavincato; 03-22-2016 at 06:30 PM.
03-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #12

Original Poster
Wow, that's good to know, thanks! Here are I have 2 more questions. First, do you have a link to any of the Hasselblad 100mm f2.2 lenses? And are you saying that these lenses can be adapted to 645z, and if so, then which adapter should be used? Thanks again for a lot of useful information.

---------- Post added 03-22-16 at 06:42 PM ----------

Anyway talking about the 2.2 is really quite pointless, as it doesn't fit on a 645z.

gavincato, may I ask you a further question? While searing for this lens on ebay, I see lenses of various serial numbers. Is it better to go with the latest serial number or it doesn't really matter?
03-22-2016, 11:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fuji electron beam coatings are probably the best on the planet, Pentax SMC coatings has been coming in second compared to EBC over the past thirty years.
03-23-2016, 02:31 AM   #14

Hi guys,
it is pointless/useless to talk about a Hasselblad "H" lens adapting on a Pentax 645 camera. It is also not a great help to discuss which coating is the best (Fuji EBC /Carl Zeiss T*, Pentax SMC)* .

Here are the flange distances:

Code:
 Mittelformat Mamiya RB67-Bajonett     111,00     mm
Mamiya RZ67-Bajonett 108,00 mm
Rollei SL66 102,80 mm
Pentax 6×7/67 85,00 mm
Kiev 80/88 Gewinde 82,10mm Hasselblad 1600F-Nachbau
Hasselblad (1000F/1600F) Gewinde 82,10mm
Hasselblad (200er, 500er, u. 2000er-Serie) Bajonett "V" 74,90 mm
Pentacon Six 74,10mm
auch Exakta 66, Kiev-Mittelformat Praktisix Klemmbajonett 74,10mm wie Pentacon Six
Rollei SLX 74,00mm
Pentax 645-Bajonett 70,87 mm
Contax 645 64,00 mm
Mamiya 645-Bajonett 63,30 mm
Hasselblad H System bayonet 61.63mm
As you see the Hasselblad "H" system has a flange Distance (FD) of 61.63mm, the Pentax is 70.87 mm - so can not adapt a Hasselblad H lens on a Pentax 645 system and focus to infinity.

Hasselblad V lenses have a FD of 74.something mm it is adaptable on a 70.something FD camera like the Pentax 645 system. The 3.something mm you need for the adapter.

(Note the FD of Leica S is about 53mm - you can adapt any MF lens - but you won´t get any Leica S FF camera )

* the only lens with Fuji EBC coating you can adapt on a Pentax 645 is the FE 4.8/ 60-120mm (Hasselbald V mount) - but it is not "fast"