Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #16

I think the TO knows the difference between an MF camera and an APSC of FF.
I never would youse a MF camera for Sports or things like that. I wouldn't take a MF camera for a stroll trough the park,
I would take a MF camera for a foto-session in the Park, that means I plan to mphotograph, taking a tripod with me, having time for each photo.

That you have to use smaller F-stops to obtain the same DOF is well known and one of the benefits of MF. Its the right thing for the people that ar crying my APSC with f1.8 is to deep, an afterwards are crying The AF-System is faulty - the foucus isn't at the right place. In MF most of the photos are done in manual mode from a tripod, therefore only the eye of the Photogrtapher may be damaged if a photo is missing focus.

03-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thank you for all your comments, My plan is to rent a Z & AF 150mm 2.8 or the AF 150-300mm lens and see what I can get with it and make my mind up from there. but I m very grateful for all your comments.
03-26-2016, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
I think the TO knows the difference between an MF camera and an APSC of FF.
I never would youse a MF camera for Sports or things like that. I wouldn't take a MF camera for a stroll trough the park,
I would take a MF camera for a foto-session in the Park, that means I plan to mphotograph, taking a tripod with me, having time for each photo.

That you have to use smaller F-stops to obtain the same DOF is well known and one of the benefits of MF. Its the right thing for the people that ar crying my APSC with f1.8 is to deep, an afterwards are crying The AF-System is faulty - the foucus isn't at the right place. In MF most of the photos are done in manual mode from a tripod, therefore only the eye of the Photogrtapher may be damaged if a photo is missing focus.
Of my shots, 50% or more are handheld. The Z is surprisingly easy to carry around, either in a shoulder bag or on a shoulder strap. I am using the peak design ones at the moment without any issue. The 28 - 45 lens is a beast of a lens but (when I eventually get it back) it still can be handheld. And yes I do often carry my Z all day. Too many assumptions are made about medium format, portability or the lack of it rather, is a myth as far as the 645Z is concerned, certainly in my experience. It's bulky, but not actually that different in size and weight to a D4/1DX...

Would I use one for shooting sport? Probably not, but it doesn't mean it can't be used for sport. If you know your sport very well indeed and already have good timing, you won't need to spray and pray at 10fps. The 3fps of the Z may be sufficient, and in trying out the Z, the OP will find out for himself.
03-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I handhold mine prob 98% of the time. It works fine if you keep your shutter speeds in check.

BUT moving horses - that I'm not sure about

03-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #20

Original Poster
Like I said above I will rent one put it though its passes for my job and see what comes out of it. FPS means nothing to me as I shoot single shot frames all the time, just always have.

Main thing for me would be the AF speed which I will only know when I get it in my hands and test it out. - portability is not an issue for me as im often walking around with 2 camera & lens combos,3 sometimes - so just hauling the Z wouldn't bother me a bit.
03-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter

not really fps related or weight related, more that the AF on it isn't remotely up to the canon & nikon stuff - I mean it's fine for stationery objects but not much else. On my 1Dx I can set it to AI servo (I think thats AF-C in nikon land) and I can near have someone sprint to me and it'll get 18-19 out of 20 shots bang on. 645 would be lucky to get 2-3.

Good luck though I hope it works out!

edit - I guess if you know where the horse will jump you could pre focus it
03-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #22

Original Poster
Only thing where the AF would have to work is show jumping as it's a quick movement, every other discipline is slow moving so shouldn't be a problem. We will see!
03-26-2016, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #23

Dear SeBex, I recently sold off all my Nikon gear, D3, primes from 28mm to 500mm in order to purchase a slightly used <2000 frames 645Z and a lenses. It came with the 28-45AF and a mix of MF 645 and 67 glass. I have since added a 120AF and a 45-85AF. It also came with a unused Pentax speedlight which I have now mated to my 6 Nikon speedlights via a set of Cactus V6 triggers.While I do not shoot horses for a living I have shot them, and lots of African wildlife. My spin on this is for anything requiring rapid focus with zero room for 'oops I missed that can you do it again?' stick with the Nikon gear. I just shot a wedding and found the 645Z struggled with the action shots, And then there is the frame rate...... But if what you need is a camera for shooting portraits 4 legged or 2 where you have control of the light and time I have found that the 465Z kicks the @#$% out of my Nikon, I bought the 645 to use for portraiture, landscapes, still lifes, and Tableau's. I bought my AF glass on Ebay from Japan, just as Reichmann at the Luminous Landscape did and like Michael the experience was perfect. There is a lot of Pentax MF gear on sale pretty cheap on Ebay shipped form Japan........

03-27-2016, 02:26 AM   #24

Original Poster
Namibchris , Thank you so much for your detailed reply & Happy Easter. My plan is to keep Nikon for 35mm and the Z for MF stuff and maybe the odd special horse moment.

I have noticed glass is extremely cheaper from Japan and plan like you would buy lenses from there, also if a good SH deal comes up for the Z with low shots I would go that route too.