Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

645z or wait for X/MrkII

Hi all first time posting here so hello!.

So ever since the 645z came out I've wanted it as I think it would work well in my field ( Equestrian Photographer, no pun intended) and more for the studio work I'm now doing. However being busy and thinking for months is MF really worth it for me I've decided yes and I'm now faced as stated in the title.

Put simply MF would be a great addition to my arsenal but do I don't want to "waste" money getting the Z and then a new reworked model comes along a month after. - I want to buy and be at least 2 years+ in the clear. So what are your thoughts do I go with the 645z 50mp or possibly, if it comes the 645 x/mrkII 100mp?

03-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With all of the recent efforts expended on the K-1, I think a replacement for the 645Z is still in the very distant future. 2018-19 perhaps?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SeBEx Quote
Hi all first time posting here so hello!.

So ever since the 645z came out I've wanted it as I think it would work well in my field ( Equestrian Photographer, no pun intended) and more for the studio work I'm now doing. However being busy and thinking for months is MF really worth it for me I've decided yes and I'm now faced as stated in the title.

Put simply MF would be a great addition to my arsenal but do I don't want to "waste" money getting the Z and then a new reworked model comes along a month after. - I want to buy and be at least 2 years+ in the clear. So what are your thoughts do I go with the 645z 50mp or possibly, if it comes the 645 x/mrkII 100mp?
Welcome to Pentax Forums.

If you can afford it, go with the 645Z now. As Adam mentioned, the replacement is at least two years away. What camera are you upgrading from? If you are a Pentax owner, why not the new K1. It is more suited for Equestrian (action) photography and it has plenty of resolution for studio work. The K1 also has more lens choices for action work.
03-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think a replacement for the 645Z is still in the very distant future. 2018-19 perhaps?
I agree, I don't expect to see anything until late 2018.

I suggest you get the 645Z, as promises don't take good photos.

03-23-2016, 08:59 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the 645z is good enough for your needs why worry about what the next model will bring? That kind of thinking causes paralysis, there will always be another newer model.
Get what works for you now and worry about a different model later.
03-23-2016, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #6

Z is great. Whether it's the right tool for equestrian is another story.
03-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #7

Yea, its a long way away and it will come out at like $13,000. The Z is a fairly good deal now.

03-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You can't do anything wrong working with the Z for the next 3 to 4 years. An Update of the Z maybe with 100 Mpix is far in the future. The rumors about the sensors came up, just now
03-24-2016, 02:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi guys, firstly thank you for welcoming me to the forum, I don't own or have never used a Pentax DSLR or MF before.

My gear now is 35mm - all Nikon 50mm-600mm with D810's etc so I've invested a lot of time and money into this system and I want to keep it for 35mm work.

I've wanted to get into MF for quite a while as I love the look and amazing detail it brings to the table, but I wanted something I could take to an Equestrian event for that special shot, bit it the winner going over the final jump or with trophy etc.

But it's main job will be studio work for clothing, feed or outside studio work for ads etc and coming from Nikon I wanted something strong, weather sealed and that would last so I came up with the 645Z, plus I love the high ISO performance that I've seen in sample/ real life reviews on the net. - I guess I just answered my original question, but it's always good to hear other people's thoughts.

If/when I get the Z I will probably get these lenses - 55, 120, 150-300 & 400. - any advice on theses would be greatly received!,

Thank you for your time.
03-24-2016, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

If/when I get the Z I will probably get these lenses - 55, 120, 150-300 & 400. - any advice on theses would be greatly received!,
Looks like you are all set with the Nikon system. Just remember if you want complete WR system from 645Z, you have to invest in their new WR lenses. Of the lenses you listed, only the 55 is WR. the rest of them are legacy lenses with no weather sealing. I do not have the 645Z but purchased a few 645 lenses over the past few years in anticipation of possible Pentax MF acquisition. I have used the 645 lenses (with an adapter) on my current Pentax bodies. They work fine but there is no autofocus or auto aperture. I have the 200 f4, 45-85 f4.5, and the A120 manual macro lens. I have used the macro for its extra reach (180 mm on my APSc bodies) for assignment work. The results are as good if not better than any other macro lens I have.
03-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
CDW
Site Supporter

I own the Z and sometimes I shoot it handheld. With the legacy lenses you suggest you will get, you will have to use higher ISO settings to maintain the shutter speeds that are necessary when you are shooting at F8-11. For the most part, the lenses you listed aren't their sharpest at their widest settings, they need to be stopped down. The Z, like other MF systems, has the resolution capability to reveal slight blurs that might otherwise be masked by APSC/FF systems. I agree with others here, the new K1 would be the way to go and if you shoot studio work (food, product shots, etc.) the pixel shift technology in the K1 should yield resolution and color gamut that is pretty much the equal of the Z.
03-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I own the Z and sometimes I shoot it handheld. With the legacy lenses you suggest you will get, you will have to use higher ISO settings to maintain the shutter speeds that are necessary when you are shooting at F8-11. For the most part, the lenses you listed aren't their sharpest at their widest settings, they need to be stopped down. The Z, like other MF systems, has the resolution capability to reveal slight blurs that might otherwise be masked by APSC/FF systems. I agree with others here, the new K1 would be the way to go and if you shoot studio work (food, product shots, etc.) the pixel shift technology in the K1 should yield resolution and color gamut that is pretty much the equal of the Z.
When you say Higher ISO what are you suggesting?, with my Nikon gear I'm normally shooting at F5 -5.6 with everything apart from the 200mm F2 where I am usually at F2.2-3.2, and I never go over 3200 ISO - I know my cameras can go over this but its just personally I never go over that.
03-24-2016, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #13

I don't mean to discourage you but the d810 with a 200/2 will be a far, far better tool at getting a horse jumping than the Z.
03-25-2016, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #14

The thing about medium format is that once you make the initial investment it's much easier to continue on to newer models. When Pentax comes out with a new version the Z will still be highly valuable on the 2nd hand market if you take care of it. The sale of it may cover 40-50% of the cost of the new one. I would say buy with confidence. What's more, I think Z users almost unanimously agree that this sensor technology is so good that advancements will only be incing on the cake essentially. There is almost nothing holding the Pentax back from all but a few applications within medium format.

As for whether it's the right tool for the job? Use the tool YOU want to use, not what people tell you to use. Would David Burnett have mad his incredible images at the Olympics with a 4x5 press camera if he listened to people in forums saying "hey you know a 1dx is far better suited to sports"??? It will be harder, sure, but when you nail it eventually you'll have better files than anybody out there (unless some lousy bugger brings an IQ100). But since you've already been doing this work I'm sure you know all this. Plus any non-action shots in the field will positively sing.

I just got my Z and my first MFD if anybody can't tell from my swooning.
03-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
CDW
Site Supporter

When you say Higher ISO what are you suggesting?, with my Nikon gear I'm normally shooting at F5 -5.6 with everything apart from the 200mm F2 where I am usually at F2.2-3.2, and I never go over 3200 ISO - I know my cameras can go over this but its just personally I never go over that.
My experience with Pentax 645 lenses has been in order to obtain optimum sharpness and DOF, one must stop down to F8-F13 (depending on the lens). I've also found that even with wide angles, I get a larger number of keepers when I'm shooting handheld, if I keep the shutter speed upwards of 250th/sec or more. While I've been able to handhold and get acceptably sharp images as low as 1/15th, that usually requires multiple takes of stationary scenes. Throw moving horses and longer lenses into the equation, plus manual focus (unless you're planning or already own the AF versions), I think you will be frustrated with the results. Shooting, as an example, with the 80-160 lens (assuming AF version) you'll be at F11 to get adequate DOF, ISO 800-1600 to keep shutter speeds upwards of 1/1000th. If you're shooting in an arena with artificial lighting, the situation may become more severe.

In addition, at just over 2fps, you may find yourself wishing for a higher frame rate camera. Any of the higher megapixel FF bodies will be in the 4+-6fps range with faster focus. The Nikon 810 is a great camera but in my opinion, based on specs and Pentax reputation for ergonomics and build quality, the upcoming K-1 would be my choice. Dynamic range, color rendition, especially in the pixel shift mode shooting landscapes, may be as good as it gets with FF digital at this point in time. I will certainly be considering one as a second body to my Z.

Last edited by CDW; 03-25-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: additional word