Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #1

Credible? next Pentax 645 will most likely have a 100MP Sony sensor

If this has already been discussed here, I couldn't find the thread.

The Next Pentax 645 Medium Format Camera Will Most Likely Have A 100MP Sony Sensor | Pentax Rumors

This info is coming from Kenneth Sporsheim, Pentax Ambassador for the Nordic countries [whatever a Pentax ambassador is]:
“It’s more than just a rumour, it was told directly to me from Ricoh. BUT, they also said that this doesn’t mean they have a camera ready for this sensor. They CAN use it if they need/want to do so. But who knows what they are brainstorming at the HQ in Japan.” (source: dpreview, Pentaxforums)

03-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Already discussed a couple times I believe...?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/316737-new-645z-100mp-sensor.html

It's actually linked in your quote...
03-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Circular rumor. And I think Ken got reprimanded for even mentioning it so maybe best left alone until something concrete comes up.
03-30-2016, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, i did! Haha!

"Whatever a Pentax ambassador is" ? You serious?

03-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
kenspo, Sorry if I am not plugged in to Every Thing Pentax.

jatrax, I did ask if it was credible but since it seems like a sore subject, no need to respond.

Bertwert, thanks.
03-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sure, no problem.
03-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

It's pretty exciting. What's more exciting is that a 645x FF would take the place of the Z and the Z would stay in production as a cheaper option / back up. Many have stated as it is that they see no reason why upgrading from the Z would ever be necessary, so everybody's happy. A FF 645 camera for less than 10 grand would be another home run by Pentax IMO. They'd need to update their 'normal' for that format though. A 75/2 DFA WR would be amazing on both the Z and a FF '645x", and then the 55/2.8 would remain a fantastic slight wide.

I do wish they'd release some leaf lenses just to shut up the Phase One people though...

03-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfkiii Quote
kenspo, Sorry if I am not plugged in to Every Thing Pentax.
Rick, you may not have connected the dots.

Kenspo = Ken Sporsheim

You're talking to the source. ☺
03-31-2016, 01:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If they do, it had better be a whole lot better body than the 645Z because at times the Z can be difficult to get the shot due to shutter vibration etc.

Also, a lot of the FA lenses would struggle, not to mention that the DFA55 would struggle and the DA28-45 is a crop lens. So you are reduced to using a DFA35 and DFA90, unless they ever decide to release the 2 new zooms on the roadmap and make them DFA not DA.
03-31-2016, 06:20 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
If they do, it had better be a whole lot better body than the 645Z because at times the Z can be difficult to get the shot due to shutter vibration etc.

Also, a lot of the FA lenses would struggle, not to mention that the DFA55 would struggle and the DA28-45 is a crop lens. So you are reduced to using a DFA35 and DFA90, unless they ever decide to release the 2 new zooms on the roadmap and make them DFA not DA.
Why would the DFA 55 struggle on a 100mp sensor? It's not that much greater pixel density vs the cropped 51.1 sensor and I'm getting fantastic results with it. I also reject that the old lenses would be completely unusable on a 100mp full frame sensor. Maybe if you're a pixel peeper but Pentax does not cater to Pixel peepers and never has as far as I can tell. People use old lenses on the A7RII and get great images just like they used to on film. Are they Otus sharp? Nah, but not everybody shoots for Otus sharp images all the time. Pentax lenses often have character and that's what keeps people in the brand, that means not winning the Test Chart Olympics. Images made with the 75/2.8 FA on a 100mp full frame sensor will be just as sharp as they were on film, which was good enough for many applications. Will you find areas of lower resolution if you pixel peep? Sure. Can you make killer images regardless? Hell yes. Plus with the 90/2.8 being made a longish normal with SR you suddenly have even more applications for that lens IMO. And for the 28-45, Pentax will make a crop mode. Hasselblad has a crop wide, makes FF and crop cameras, no one has died because of this.

Oh and there is that other thing where they can make more lenses.

---------- Post added 03-31-16 at 02:12 PM ----------

ALSO! Think of the new features that are going to come to the 645x from the K1. The expanded AF area will be great, the new screen design will be amazing on a tripod when shooting verticals, and if we are extremely lucky, in camera SR. Just release a couple leaf lenses and get some capture one support and they'll have to beat off Phase One users with a stick... I actually don't have anything against Phase, they make amazing products but they price them to keep users out and I'm not sure that's sustainable in this marketplace. Any serious professional can afford a $8-9,000 dollar camera investment from Pentax, if it's right for their needs.
03-31-2016, 10:36 AM - 3 Likes   #11
a5m
Veteran Member

This info is coming from Kenneth Sporsheim, Pentax Ambassador for the Nordic countries [whatever a Pentax ambassador is]...
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Kenspo = Ken Sporsheim

03-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #12

Am I the only guy with a really good 55mm? I see so many people saying it's a average lens but mine is just crazy sharp stopped down, and still not bad at 2.8 - it's easy to get a bit off focus wise with it but when a shot is critically focussed my copy is razor sharp.
03-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
Am I the only guy with a really good 55mm? I see so many people saying it's a average lens but mine is just crazy sharp stopped down, and still not bad at 2.8 - it's easy to get a bit off focus wise with it but when a shot is critically focussed my copy is razor sharp.

I dont think mine is bad. Its probably my most used lens on mine, and my favorite one.
03-31-2016, 06:01 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Kenspo = Ken Sporsheim

Yep, I do now.
04-01-2016, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Yep, I do now.
And if you still dont know what a Pentax Ambassador is; I have signed contract with Ricoh. They give me all the gear i need to do my job. I deliver pics they can use in promotion, i do lectures, i do also test gear for them, and the most important part is that I'm seen in both the public and on social medias