Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hand holding the 645 portrait

I've been doing the single in april challenge with an original 645 and a 200mm lens. This is a pretty hearty combo. I can hand hold it reasonably well in landscape orientation, but portrait gets a bit wiggly. I'm right handed, my first instinct is to have my elbow way out to hold the grip well. This doesn't seem ideal, I was wondering if you folks had any suggestions for hand holding the 645. I think this is a lot easier with lighter primes. The 75mm is looking really good. (A travel tripod would be the best solution here... but I don't have the capital for one at the moment.)

04-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try it with your right hand under and your right elbow wedged against your hip bone or side. Support your lens on the left palm. I do that with larger dSLR's and long lenses.
04-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I go both ways....usually like you, with right wing in the air, until I get too fatigued, and then switch down with my upper arm braced against my torso. The only down side to this method are flip-flopped contact sheets, so I try not to switch arm positions until I switch rolls.
04-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Try it with your right hand under and your right elbow wedged against your hip bone or side. Support your lens on the left palm. I do that with larger dSLR's and long lenses.
I tried something like that today, I'll give it another shot. Unfortunately, I'm afflicted with a minor but permanent palsy in my left hand/arm that's only accentuated during concentrating tasks like this, so a number of two handed shooting techniques are less accessible to me. On the other hand (ha), I have a very strong and steady right arm and am a big guy so I can handle larger gear, but it is tiring with this camera.

I tried shooting with the camera revered, triggering the shutter with my thumb. I think it could work out well if I had more practice at it.

04-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

With a physically longer lens cradling it in the crook of your left arm can help steady the camera in both portrait and landscape modes. Takes a little getting used to

Photographer Ron Reznick, although shown with FF DSLR I see no reason that it cannot work with the 645
http://www.trapagon.com/temp/PortraitHold.jpg
http://www.trapagon.com/temp/LandscapeHold.jpg

EDIT: only just seen your last post where you mention your left arm problems so no idea if this post of any help - just hope it may be
04-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
With a physically longer lens cradling it in the crook of your left arm can help steady the camera in both portrait and landscape modes. Takes a little getting used to

Photographer Ron Reznick, although shown with FF DSLR I see no reason that it cannot work with the 645
http://www.trapagon.com/temp/PortraitHold.jpg
http://www.trapagon.com/temp/LandscapeHold.jpg

EDIT: only just seen your last post where you mention your left arm problems so no idea if this post of any help - just hope it may be
I'll definitely give it a shot, that looks like a useful pose, thanks!
04-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #7

I sympathize with you holding the 645z in portrait mode can be a bear. My solution was to use the handle from my LED panel and use it like a pistol grip. Holding the grip in my left hand and controlling the shutter with my right. Worked quite well and took 30+ business portraits last Friday using the 120mm Macro. What would be nice would be a pistol grip with a built in release so I could hold the grip in my right hand and steady the camera with the left.

Would be even better would be a faster sync speed