Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Need help with Pentax 67

1. What's the aprox aperture value for 2.4, 4, 5.6, and 8 in 35mm?

2. How do you focus for portrait? I usually get un-focused images quite a lot. First I focused on the head and then re-compose to the body usually. Due to the viewfinder, it's quite hard to see clearly.

3. Any differences between newer and older version of 105mm f2.4?

4. I want to prevent scratching and I heard that there is some kind of special tapes for film camera. Do you know the name of it?

5. Will Pentax 67ii prism provide brighter viewfinder?

6. Where can I send my Pentax 67 for cleaning dust, repairing, and etc?

04-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
The same.

They all have the same optics, just different coatings (SMC on the later lenses) and a different cosmetic design for the latest version.

Eric can help you (pentaxs.com).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-15-2016, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

2. How do you focus for portrait? I usually get un-focused images quite a lot. First I focused on the head and then re-compose to the body usually. Due to the viewfinder, it's quite hard to see clearly.

4. I want to prevent scratching and I heard that there is some kind of special tapes for film camera. Do you know the name of it?

5. Will Pentax 67ii prism provide brighter viewfinder?

a few thoughts on the subject and hopefully helpful.

1. if you mean DOF equivalent f numbers when comparing 35mm and 67, using the diagonal as a reference, as they are different rectangular formats and assuming similar field of view,
Then for practical purposes the 105mm 67 lens at f2.4 will roughly equal a 50mm lens on 35mm format at f1.1, f4=f1.9, f5.6=f2.7, f8=f3.8. roughly a 2 stop difference.
It is quite useful to keep in mind if you come from 35mm or APS-C format and are not quite sure what to expect from a 67 camera.

2. takes a lot of practice, especially wide open. focus and recompose will be very likely to throw off focus. I shoot a 67ii and while I do see occasional misfocused images, then I have found it to be a practise thing. shooting it almost daily helps.
On the 67ii I tend to get precise focus using the micro prism and then the ground glass to correct for any misalignment or movement during when recomposing.

3. I have the latest model, but i think some changes to coatings and to the use of radioactive materials in the coatings on some of the older ones.

4. never heard of it

5. a definite yes. i find the 67ii a lot brighter and easier to focus.

6. I do not know any repair shops in the US, hopefully others will be able to help you out. Personally I use a local one in Copenhagen, Denmark.
04-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

3. The Super Takumar used Thorium glass and nearly all of the SMC Takumars did not. The Thorium was replaced by another high index glass (possibly Lanthanum). A different design but both types perform well.
4. There are a few people that use gaffers tape to cover the surfaces.