Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #1

Pentax 645: Priolite vs. leaf shutter lenses?

Hello folks, I hope you all enjoy your weekend. I have a question to Pentax 645d/z users who also use Priolite MBX500 and do outdoor portrait photography. I keep reading about the disadvantage of the Pentax 645 system for outdoor portraits due to a lack of modern leaf shutter lenses but doesn't Priolite (and hopefully Profoto too) kind of replace them? Thanks and please correct me if I'm missing something. Take care

04-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Either would work. The Pentax flash system has hss support as well. If you're doing fill flash you need neither.
04-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really wonder what's the advantage of using leaf lens while Priolite can support 1/4000? Many photographers didn't answer this question at all.
04-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I really wonder what's the advantage of using leaf lens while Priolite can support 1/4000? Many photographers didn't answer this question at all.
power. you lose power over your "official" flash sync speed once HSS is used.

04-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
I was going to say the same thing. One really needs to check the HSS guide numbers (which change as the shutter speed goes up!) and do some math to compare it to output from normal flashes plus a leaf shutter. It really depends what you want to do with your flash too...
04-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

And aren't leaf shutters only rated for 20,000 or so actuations?

04-17-2016, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Live dangerously. :P
04-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Live dangerously. :P
I was about to say 'expensively', but you MF guys use fiddies to light your cigars, apparently! ☺

04-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #9

First time hearing that. My Leica X Vario has a leaf shutter and I have at least 60K clicks on it. Plus some Leica S, Hassy, Phase lenses have leaf shutters of course and I doubt they only last 20K.
04-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Irie Quote
First time hearing that. My Leica X Vario has a leaf shutter and I have at least 60K clicks on it. Plus some Leica S, Hassy, Phase lenses have leaf shutters of course and I doubt they only last 20K.
This old Fuji was rated to 10,000, Irie, what do Leica say is the MTBF for your Vario?

Fuji GW 690 III Leaf-Shutter Lifespan - Photo.net Medium Format Forum
04-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

That's actuations between servicing I believe.

---------- Post added 04-17-16 at 10:17 PM ----------

I was about to say 'expensively', but you MF guys use fiddies to light your cigars, apparently! ☺
Haha - not me, only old manual focus medium format equipment for me. I think the most expensive lens I've purchased for the 645 was.. $200 USD? They are really fun to work with, and pretty great.

Regardless, I'd suggest looking at the amazing work the forum member LeRolls ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_rankin ) does, with 1/180 of a second shutter speed, with a flash, outdoors (his exif is posted on his flickr). You don't need either HSS or a leaf shutter for incredible outdoor portraits, only for a subset of the field.
04-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kparseg Quote
Hello folks, I hope you all enjoy your weekend. I have a question to Pentax 645d/z users who also use Priolite MBX500 and do outdoor portrait photography. I keep reading about the disadvantage of the Pentax 645 system for outdoor portraits due to a lack of modern leaf shutter lenses but doesn't Priolite (and hopefully Profoto too) kind of replace them? Thanks and please correct me if I'm missing something. Take care
Here is your answer Priolite MBX1000 HotSync - Initial Tests - Mark Kitaoka Photographs
04-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
I don't see any problems with 'power' at all. I need specific answer for this. Profoto B1 and B2 still have powerful light with HSS. I know that using HSS require more battery power and have to flash more but that doesn't mean leaf shutter lens have more advantage compare to HSS. I saw many professional photographers using HSS a lot.
04-18-2016, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I don't see any problems with 'power' at all. I need specific answer for this. Profoto B1 and B2 still have powerful light with HSS.
When it comes to working with flash: Power is always an issue, especially with HSS is being used and if you don't see that and understand the compromises involved, you are going to make some pretty expensive mistakes. It is important to factor in the lighting modifiers in use here, bare bulb HSS will lose about 1/2 the normal GN of the flash* - add a 120"X120" double scrimmed softbox and that will cut that amount of light in half on top of the losses incurred from using HSS.

Sometimes you're better off using sticking to the standard sync speeds and use the flash at 1:1 power, with a large light modifier getting the subject in focus and lit properly...rather than using HSS flash with a small modifier and unnecessary and inappropriately shallow DOF caused by using too wide an aperture and all the compromises in IQ caused by using lenses wide open.

I saw many professional photographers using HSS a lot.
And everyone simply must jump on that burgeoning bandwagon. Shallow DOF portraiture with the ambient sunlight being underexposed isn't inherently a good technique - it is how it is used and more often than not it is an overused technique for people who are aesthetically stunted, and have no idea what it really takes to create a good portrait that actually says something about the subject.

My Leica X Vario has a leaf shutter and I have at least 60K clicks on it.
I suspect the tiny leaf shutter only is in use at shutter speeds under 1/500th - anything over that and longer than 1s would be purely electronic in order to enhance the longevity of the shutter mechanism. One of the first indications of a Leaf shutter approaching failure is the long exposure times are longer than what is indicated.

Plus some Leica S, Hassy, Phase lenses have leaf shutters of course and I doubt they only last 20K.
Leaf shutter units can last longer than 20,000 actuations - they don't exactly disintegrate into a puff of smoke after 20,001 firings but when you go substantially over the recommended number of actuatons**, there is an increasing chance things will go pear shaped: mechanical issues and problems such as mis-firing, uneven and inaccurate exposure and inability of the lens to automatically re-cock itself after firing are common failure modes and are signs the shutter requires servicing ASAP. If you keep using the shutter past the recommended MBTF, there is an escalating chance you will damage something really expensive.

* I'm being generous here, depending on the shutter speeds and a number of factors you can lose substantially more light than this.

**I'd say anywhere approaching 40,000 firings and over. The figure of 20,000 firings is a commonly accepted service threshold for Seiko and Copal leaf shutters.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-18-2016 at 05:19 AM.
04-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter

use fiddies to light your cigars
What is a fiddie?