Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cable release socket failure

I was shooting today when my cable release stopped working. I could get it to work by moving the plug around a bit so it seems like something has come adrift inside. Common problem? Hard to fix? I had to resort to the menu option of pressing shutter button to start snd stop but its not ideal. Camera is only about a year old.

04-19-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't know if it's common, but my K3 required that repair. Try another cable release before assuming the camera is the problem. I've had several cable releases fail. Recommendation: if you order a new release, get several. I keep half a dozen on hand. Also, the Vello releases are good and less expensive than Pentax. There's another after-market brand I purchased once that is not as reliable as Vello because of an odd quirk. The camera plug on all these releases has a right-angle bend, but on this other brand the "neck" after the bend was too short. When plugged into the camera, if the cable came straight back from the camera body the release worked fine, but if the cable pointed downward toward the baseplate, the angled socket rubbed against the camera body which pulled it out slightly, just enough to lose contact. It would be better if all releases were straight at the camera-plug end. And another also: depending on the brand, some releases have the cord emerging from the top of the hand-release, others from the bottom. I prefer the former (=release button and cord at the same end of the hand-piece).
04-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I was shooting today when my cable release stopped working.
You're not alone. Don't know how frequent it is, though. See

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/298305-645z-remot...-problems.html
04-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. Seems like i might have to get the wireless remote. I love this camera but its bit dissapointing to have this failure. Numerous canon film and digital bodies over 20 years and not a single issue...

Last edited by Gyroscope; 04-19-2016 at 11:21 PM.
04-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

Mine went too. Rather than subjecting it to Pentax service I bought the wireless release and it's all good. One word of caution, the release is tiny, it's an example of too small. I ended up using some electrical tape wrapped around it and a key chain to make the thing bigger.
04-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Common (ish) problem for the 645Z cable socket to fail. It breaks loose on the inside of the body, and requires a trip to Ricoh service to repair. Mine broke once and I sent it back; it took 10 weeks to come back. As described in the other thread linked here, it subsequently broke again. I bought the wireless remote. I hate it, but I can't keep sending this gear away for months at a time to fix problems... so now I just shoot the crap out of it until it really blows up, then send it in to fix everything at once.
05-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I had mine fixed this week. They wanted to charge me £100 +VAT for it as they said that the PCB was split from the socket. I haven't been rough with it in any way so I pushed back saying that it's meant to be a professional camera in any case, so would expect it to be far more resistant to wear than this. Johnson's (Pentax's repair agent in UK) relented and did it as a warranty job. Bonus is that they cleaned the sensor also, and gave the whole camera a service (what that entailed, I don't know).

05-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
I just today received my wireless remote which seems to work fine (except the annoying red flashing lights on the camera when it is set to wireless release). I think I'll just put up with this rather than being without the camera.
05-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

Chances are, if you fix the cable release socket it will probably break again anyway. So if you can live with the wireless remote, that's the way to go. It's what I'm doing for now. I kind of hate the wireless remote, but I would hate sending the camera away for 10 weeks every 6 - 12 months even more...
05-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine has just broken too. Can't possibly imagine being without the body for the amount of time it takes to fix with the dreadful support available. Doesn't hamper me too much with everything except star trails. I tend to lock the release 'on' with the camera set to high speed continuous shooting, which minimises gaps. Does anyone know if the wireless release can be used the same way? I.e. locked 'on' so the camera continuously shoots multiple frames?
05-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #11

When I first got my 645Z several years ago, I fastened the remote release plug into the camera body with duct tape so the electrical connection is semi-permanent. I think repeated use of the connection will weaken the camera internal fitting. The tape is ugly but it does keep the electrical connection secure.
05-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Mine has just broken too. Can't possibly imagine being without the body for the amount of time it takes to fix with the dreadful support available. Doesn't hamper me too much with everything except star trails. I tend to lock the release 'on' with the camera set to high speed continuous shooting, which minimises gaps. Does anyone know if the wireless release can be used the same way? I.e. locked 'on' so the camera continuously shoots multiple frames?
You might find that the local repair agent might be able to fix this themselves rather than for it to go to Japan. Mine was fixed within 5 days.
05-24-2016, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #13

Repeated use definitely seems to weaken the 645Z cable socket's connection inside the body, I would say from my experience. I shoot in a lot of inclement weather and do a lot of mixed hand-held & tripod work. So normally I would prefer to remove the cable and seal up the socket when I don't need or want the cable attached. But if I get my socket fixed again, perhaps leaving the cable semi-permanently attached under a layer of electrical tape or similar would be workable.

I still would be concerned about the location making the cable plug more prone to taking strikes in the field or during transport, since it's a very exposed position on the 645Z. The socket on the 645D was better located in my opinion, and in many hundreds of cable insertions & removals it was rock solid. So I think on the Z the socket was a less well thought-through design...
05-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
You might find that the local repair agent might be able to fix this themselves rather than for it to go to Japan. Mine was fixed within 5 days.
Thanks mate. Having discovered that the IR remote will do everything I need, I've decided not to get this fixed so I don't have to be without the camera at all... The only problem with the remote is that it's so small that I could easily lose or drop it!
05-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Thanks mate. Having discovered that the IR remote will do everything I need, I've decided not to get this fixed so I don't have to be without the camera at all... The only problem with the remote is that it's so small that I could easily lose or drop it!
I have several cheap IR. Literally £5 or less each from Amazon and work exactly the same as the Pentax one except not waterproof.