Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

HELP! 645Z tethered connectivity problems on Mac OS

Hi, have done some great still life jobs shooting tethered with the Z using Image Transmitter, Capture Fix then into Capture One, but during the last job the camera stopped connecting. The problem creeped up slowly and was able to be overcome restarting Image Transmitter (IT) software. I went to Adorama where I purchased it and diagnosed cable and port, they are ok since files were are able to be downloaded from the camera when in the MSC mode - we tried PC and Mac, but I didn't have the IT software installed...

The camera does not show up as a connected device under the 'System Report' 'USB' listing like a device usually does.

Last week while I was diagnosing, I was able to connect the camera to IT onto another computer, so thought it was my OS on the main computer so was going to re-install El Capitan. So, getting back to diagnosing, it will now not connect to that computer either! At that time the camera showed up in the system report of the USB area, but does not today. Well, I was behind in updating camera firmware (a new one in December) and then there was an IT update last month. After updated both there is still and no connection on the main computer and, nothing showing up in system report on both computers. And even worse, in the other computer, when the camera was plugged in and set to MSC mode under 'USB Connection' it would open up an automatic downloading type of software like Mac's Photos or iPhoto. But now it has stopped doing that also now! I work as a professional digital tech, so am well versed in diagnosing problems and troubleshooting, but I am stuck. Anyone have any ideas or know who I can turn to at Pentax/Ricoh?

At the start of diagnosing I went to Adorama to diagnose cable and camera port and we were able to get it to connect to a PC when it was set to PTP, and also opened up Apple's Photos when set to MSC. But I don't think I ever actually did an image download then or in any of the cases, but a preview of the image showed up, so thought that was good enough.

Does anyone think that the USB cable may be working in some respects but not others so why it is giving me these problems? Or part of the port is just a little damaged?

Anyone have any ideas or know who I can turn to at Pentax/Ricoh?

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added 04-19-16 at 06:03 PM ----------

Wow, just found a stateside customer service phone number, never could find that before! I will call them tomorrow...

04-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have found problems with macs not recognizing usb2 devices on usb3 ports, and vice versa.

I 'fixed' a usb2 modem dongle not being recognized on a macbook usb3 port by connecting a usb2 hub to the mac and then plugging the dongle into the hub.
Maybe worth trying this?
04-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

Pentax offers a free plugin that works with Lightroom. I've used it about 30 times now and have not experienced any issues shooting tethered. This is one alternative.

You'll find the download here if you're interested:

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
04-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by seanjmc Quote
Hi, have done some great still life jobs shooting tethered with the Z using Image Transmitter, Capture Fix then into Capture One, but during the last job the camera stopped connecting. The problem creeped up slowly and was able to be overcome restarting Image Transmitter (IT) software. I went to Adorama where I purchased it and diagnosed cable and port, they are ok since files were are able to be downloaded from the camera when in the MSC mode - we tried PC and Mac, but I didn't have the IT software installed...

The camera does not show up as a connected device under the 'System Report' 'USB' listing like a device usually does.

Last week while I was diagnosing, I was able to connect the camera to IT onto another computer, so thought it was my OS on the main computer so was going to re-install El Capitan. So, getting back to diagnosing, it will now not connect to that computer either! At that time the camera showed up in the system report of the USB area, but does not today. Well, I was behind in updating camera firmware (a new one in December) and then there was an IT update last month. After updated both there is still and no connection on the main computer and, nothing showing up in system report on both computers. And even worse, in the other computer, when the camera was plugged in and set to MSC mode under 'USB Connection' it would open up an automatic downloading type of software like Mac's Photos or iPhoto. But now it has stopped doing that also now! I work as a professional digital tech, so am well versed in diagnosing problems and troubleshooting, but I am stuck. Anyone have any ideas or know who I can turn to at Pentax/Ricoh?

At the start of diagnosing I went to Adorama to diagnose cable and camera port and we were able to get it to connect to a PC when it was set to PTP, and also opened up Apple's Photos when set to MSC. But I don't think I ever actually did an image download then or in any of the cases, but a preview of the image showed up, so thought that was good enough.

Does anyone think that the USB cable may be working in some respects but not others so why it is giving me these problems? Or part of the port is just a little damaged?

Anyone have any ideas or know who I can turn to at Pentax/Ricoh?

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added 04-19-16 at 06:03 PM ----------

Wow, just found a stateside customer service phone number, never could find that before! I will call them tomorrow...
seanjmc, the same exact thing happened to me on a shoot this morning. i used to tether with imagetransmitter, but started using the lightroom plugin a few months ago. i've never had a problem (i'm also a digi tech and studio photographer). it stopped connecting to my imac on set, so we switched to a macbook pro. it worked fine on the macbook for a bit, then showed signs of the same issue until i was unable to tether on either machine for the rest of the day. i switched back to imagetransmitter, and that didn't solve it, so it's not an LR-specific issue. i'll contact support as well, let me know if you hear anything and i'll do the same.

04-21-2016, 05:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by markandrusphoto Quote
seanjmc, the same exact thing happened to me on a shoot this morning. i used to tether with imagetransmitter, but started using the lightroom plugin a few months ago. i've never had a problem (i'm also a digi tech and studio photographer). it stopped connecting to my imac on set, so we switched to a macbook pro. it worked fine on the macbook for a bit, then showed signs of the same issue until i was unable to tether on either machine for the rest of the day. i switched back to imagetransmitter, and that didn't solve it, so it's not an LR-specific issue. i'll contact support as well, let me know if you hear anything and i'll do the same.
Hi Mark and Rus! I'm happy to know that I'm not losing my mind! Would be great if you would call them and ask for 'Paul' as I spoke with him in length about it and he was stumped as well and is going to 'elevate' the issue so another report of the same problem will be helpful. He said it will bounce around the corporate ether and also may go to the Image Transmitter peeps...But I told hi I didn't think it was an Image Transmitter problem since body not showing up as a connected device and all....He said someone would contact me Friday or Monday...
04-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #6

This could be a USB / Mac OS problem. There have been a lot of people having issues when connecting external digital to analogue converters for music under the El Capitan version of Mac OS that they didn't have under Yosemeti. Have you guys upgraded your Mac OS recently?
05-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi, it looks like there is an update I can get for El Cap, will try it now and see what happens...