Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 05:39 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Pentax will stick to the current K and 645 mounts for a while yet. They tried something different with the Q, but it was not such a bit smash hit success, and its solutions did not bring in any new revolutionary functions.
I hope Pentax will not change the mount standards until there are some really big benefits from it; and adapting lenses is not their priority. Changing mounts is a really big move, so it has to be justified. Right now, Pentax is making decent sales in part due to great backwards compatibility (Even though they already removed some of it to speed things up, like removing aperture ring, "crippling" camera mount, adding SDM and DC AF motors, and so on, and some users already responded to this negatively)

Also, adapting 645 lenses to smaller formats has many drawbacks. Many 645 lenses are expensive; while the cheap ones are not really better than K mount glass (in fact, the cheap ones tend to be old, with old coatings, so problems with CA and flare and fringing can appear on digital format, especially with really high pixel density like the K-1, K3), and the 645 lenses have a huge image circle, so on a smaller format that means a lot of stray light and possible loss of contrast; and they are really big lenses, sometimes heavier than a K-mount camera. Basically, adapting medium format lenses to smaller formats is not a very elegant solution, unless you are using bellows or T/S adapter to make full use of the larger image circle. And that is only possible for some genres, like macro or architecture or product photos

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-01-2016 at 05:44 AM.
05-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There's no screwdrive on the 3000 and 5000 series bodies, AFAIK, Steve.
My understanding too.

Steve

(...me be pretty Nikon dumb...)
05-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Try '41 years' - lenses going all the way back to 1975 can be used, and the green button gives you fast stop-down metering. ☺

Legacy glass really works.
...oh the possibilities!
05-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #19

It is good to have the choice, especially when using tilt/shift or macro lens where so much is manual like camera settings, focus etc.

Last edited by TheDocAUS; 05-01-2016 at 09:06 PM.