Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure whether it is the MLU version. The guy said he lent it to a friend for 2 weeks and asked me to contact him later. He hasn't sent any pictures yet either...

I just realized that I can't use pentacon six Carl zeiss lenses with the 6x7, which is unfortunate. I love my CJZ tessar and was looking forward to using a biotar with the 645. I tried to figure out which non - Pentax lenses I could use with 6x7, but it seems like I need to spend some time on this. Is lens availability a problem with 6x7?

05-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Is lens availability a problem with 6x7?
There are still plenty of users of the Pentax 67 system and availability of lenses is high. Many people have attempted to use other manufacturer's lenses on this camera but remember that this camera was designed for pro use and so its lenses can compete with any medium format lenses on the market. There are 30 optically different lenses available for the 67 (31 if you count the 105 Super Takumar that used Thorium glass).
05-08-2016, 02:49 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Not sure whether it is the MLU version. The guy said he lent it to a friend for 2 weeks and asked me to contact him later. He hasn't sent any pictures yet either...

I just realized that I can't use pentacon six Carl zeiss lenses with the 6x7, which is unfortunate. I love my CJZ tessar and was looking forward to using a biotar with the 645. I tried to figure out which non - Pentax lenses I could use with 6x7, but it seems like I need to spend some time on this. Is lens availability a problem with 6x7?

There are plenty enough lenses around to meet up with a wanting Pentax 67.

MLU is a very useful feature that lessens the whack of both the mirror and the shutter vibration that tends to be like a small car backfiring sometimes. The idea is to have the camera mounted on a tripod, the scene composed and exposure set, and MLU tripped (do not leave it tripped because it is a battery drain) and when you're ready, fire the shutter. Effectively MLU separates the two movements. Now, if you knuckle down with the Pentax 67 and do some careful research about the Pentax 67 lens system, you could well come away with a lens kit that rivals anything that Zeiss has or had. It's definitely a camera that requires devotion to the task of creating quality photography rather than very ordinary, unremarkable day-to-day snapshots.
05-08-2016, 05:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
There are plenty enough lenses around to meet up with a wanting Pentax 67.

MLU is a very useful feature that lessens the whack of both the mirror and the shutter vibration that tends to be like a small car backfiring sometimes. The idea is to have the camera mounted on a tripod, the scene composed and exposure set, and MLU tripped (do not leave it tripped because it is a battery drain) and when you're ready, fire the shutter. Effectively MLU separates the two movements. Now, if you knuckle down with the Pentax 67 and do some careful research about the Pentax 67 lens system, you could well come away with a lens kit that rivals anything that Zeiss has or had. It's definitely a camera that requires devotion to the task of creating quality photography rather than very ordinary, unremarkable day-to-day snapshots.
I didn't mean to imply that zeiss lenses are better. Just in my limited experience when I think of a picture, I usually have a lens in mind. When I want rich colours, I think of my M lenses. When I want warm tones, I think of my Soviet lenses. I use Carl zeiss for translucent or black and white... Just wanted to try that with medium format.

Thank you for all your advice. Just got a 645 on Ebay. Let the journey begin...

---------- Post added 05-08-16 at 05:28 AM ----------

Actually, now that I think about it, my k 28 has a similar rendering to CZJ Tessar. Similar, but still different. Is there a 645 lens with a rendering like the K lenses?

05-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Actually, now that I think about it, my k 28 has a similar rendering to CZJ Tessar. Similar, but still different. Is there a 645 lens with a rendering like the K lenses?
The Pentax 67 55/4 (late) is very similar to the K28/2.

Phil.
05-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I have been thinking about doing this exact same thing. I shoot M4/3 for digital now but have been using my film Pentax gear side by side with digital for years. I accidentally ordered 120 film a few months ago and am now looking at finally picking one up. I am looking at a TLR just out of sheer portability. The 67 is HUGE for walking around street shooting and then you get into shutter shake issues when you get into the slow, low light shutter speeds.
05-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
I have been thinking about doing this exact same thing. I shoot M4/3 for digital now but have been using my film Pentax gear side by side with digital for years. I accidentally ordered 120 film a few months ago and am now looking at finally picking one up. I am looking at a TLR just out of sheer portability. The 67 is HUGE for walking around street shooting and then you get into shutter shake issues when you get into the slow, low light shutter speeds.
Yes, I was really interested in the 67, but chasing kids with a camera that weighs 2.3 kg, if I am not mistaken, could be a challenge. Especially when you have to carry one or two of them in addition to the camera
05-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #38
Site Supporter

The 67 is HUGE for walking around street shooting and then you get into shutter shake issues when you get into the slow, low light shutter speeds.
Yes, I was really interested in the 67, but chasing kids with a camera that weighs 2.3 kg, if I am not mistaken, could be a challenge.
True the 6x7 would not be my first choice for street shooting, but it is possible. Faster film is your friend and as long as you keep the shutter speeds at 1/125 or above you are good to go.

I do short 1 roll outings for street shooting in town and use a wider lighter lens, so I'm usually fine for an hour or two. If I travel and walk around all day shooting, then yes I always take my 35mm camera.

Then benefit of the larger 6x7 negative is hard to beat and worth the effort sometimes.

Phil.

05-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Yes, I was really interested in the 67, but chasing kids with a camera that weighs 2.3 kg, if I am not mistaken, could be a challenge. Especially when you have to carry one or two of them in addition to the camera
...or carry a 67 and 5 lenses and sundry kit. Sometimes I'm much happier carting an Olympus XA for the day...

---------- Post added 10-05-16 at 09:37 AM ----------

Consider that the image size is what magnetises serious photographers. Forget about 35mm, or even the quaint, old world 6x6 (but I admit to owning a Hasselblad and I do use this format often, but not as often as 6x7!). 67 images can be printed ginormously provided your lenswork is top shelf and your firing technique takes care of "the little foibles". You do have a point though about walking around with a 67. It's not something I like to do even though I have a very comfortable OpTech neoprene "weight-reducing" strap. The huge size of the camera does not really endear itself to my small hands so 99.9% of my shooting is tripod based. Full control over "The Beast"!
05-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
...or carry a 67 and 5 lenses and sundry kit. Sometimes I'm much happier carting an Olympus XA for the day...

---------- Post added 10-05-16 at 09:37 AM ----------

Consider that the image size is what magnetises serious photographers. Forget about 35mm, or even the quaint, old world 6x6 (but I admit to owning a Hasselblad and I do use this format often, but not as often as 6x7!). 67 images can be printed ginormously provided your lenswork is top shelf and your firing technique takes care of "the little foibles". You do have a point though about walking around with a 67. It's not something I like to do even though I have a very comfortable OpTech neoprene "weight-reducing" strap. The huge size of the camera does not really endear itself to my small hands so 99.9% of my shooting is tripod based. Full control over "The Beast"!
For chasing my daughter around, that's what my Olympus EM10 is for. The body and four primes weighs less than the K7 and the 2.8 Tamron zoom I used to carry around.

If I were to print huge, 67 would probably be the answer. I ever go larger than 11x14 so everything I have, M4/3, 35, and medium are more than enough. The portability, or lack thereof, hurts. I've been flipping through the TLR user group on Flickr and found amazing photos. I'm pretty sure a Mamiya C3xx is in my future. The other plus to that older style camera is it is less obvious when shooting a random person. It's hard to hide intentions when the camera is up at your eye pointed in someone's general direction. At waist level, it's probably a little easier.
05-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 645 arrived, now I am waiting for the lens. I discovered that Pentax 645 lenses are pretty pricey when compared to k mount lenses. I looked at other lenses and got a biotar 80 f2.8, as I always wanted to try CZJ in medium format. Looking at other lenses it seems that Soviet lenses are cheapest, and perform quite well. In one German review the guy said that Mir was "almost better" than CZJ...

I came across a good package deal of two Soviet lenses 65mm f3.5 and 90 f2.8 for $40. I am tempted, but I wonder if the focal length of the 90mm is different enough from the 80mm I already got... Any advice? Or can't go wrong for $40?
05-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #42
Site Supporter

.........Any advice? Or can't go wrong for $40?
Well, you can't go more than $40 wrong. I've got 10 Pentacon Six mount lenses and have tried a few more in the past. I've had two MIR's and wasn't impressed when comparing them to other marques that I've got. I'd hazzard a guess that there's a lot more copy variation in the old Soviet stuff and I may have been unlucky.

As you've 80mm covered then I can recommend the CZJ 120/2.8 Biometar (MC version) as an accomplished performer. The CZJ 180/2.8 Sonnar is also very reasonable but it's a monstrous lump to carry around.

Bob
05-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
Well, you can't go more than $40 wrong. I've got 10 Pentacon Six mount lenses and have tried a few more in the past. I've had two MIR's and wasn't impressed when comparing them to other marques that I've got. I'd hazzard a guess that there's a lot more copy variation in the old Soviet stuff and I may have been unlucky.

As you've 80mm covered then I can recommend the CZJ 120/2.8 Biometar (MC version) as an accomplished performer. The CZJ 180/2.8 Sonnar is also very reasonable but it's a monstrous lump to carry around.

Bob

Hello Bob,

I was looking at the 120 biotar, and it is definitely something I am interested in. My whole approach is about trying to see if I like medium format, so I don't want to splurge before I decide that I medium format film is something I want to do.

Would you say that 80mm vs 90mm in MF is like 50mm vs 55mm with a crop sensor?

Practical question : does it make sense to test lens performance on the crop sensor? I know it would be sharper than on MF, but the ability to see results immediately is attractive...
05-16-2016, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter

80mm v 90mm isn't a huge difference but the lens can have some bearing on this when working quite close to the subject. The focal lengths can reduce significantly when the subject isn't too far away..... for example, Canon's 100mm macro is only 78mm when used at its minimum focus distance whilst other lens designs don't show this large decrease.

Testing on a crop sensor (I assume APS-C in your case as I use a 645Z which is also a crop of sorts) might give some clues but certainly not the whole story. If you're aimaing for portraits and flowers for example, then the corners are of lesser consequence as they'll normally be in the region destined to be out of focus. If it's corner to corner sharpness for landscape shots then only the correct sensor size will give you the full appraisal.

It's also worth considering the way that different lenses render the image. Modern lenses can be quite clinical (in general) but things weren't so clear cut 30-50 years ago.....a Trioplan produces a very different image to a Petzval.

There's a site run by a knowledgeable guy in the UK which details and qualifies practically every P6 lens....well worrth a visit.
The Pentacon Six System

Bob

Last edited by Bob L; 05-16-2016 at 02:49 AM.
05-16-2016, 01:48 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
80mm v 90mm isn't a huge difference but the lens can have some bearing on this when working quite close to the subject. The focal lengths can reduce significantly when the subject isn't too far away..... for example, Canon's 100mm macro is only 78mm when used at its minimum focus distance whilst other lens designs don't show this large decrease.

Testing on a crop sensor (I assume APS-C in your case as I use a 645Z which is also a crop of sorts) might give some clues but certainly not the whole story. If you're aimaing for portraits and flowers for example, then the corners are of lesser consequence as they'll normally be in the region destined to be out of focus. If it's corner to corner sharpness for landscape shots then only the correct sensor size will give you the full appraisal.

There's a site run by a knowledgeable guy in the UK which details and qualifies practically every P6 lens....well worrth a visit.
The Pentacon Six System

Bob
Thank you! I will check out the website.